Tabletop, terrain, minis... and above all, DICE

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in gaming, but considering that this is predominantly a VG-culture centric website, I thought... eh, OTD would be more appropriate.

Anyway, simple question, who here's a tabletop gamer, whether of the usual suspects: GW games; RPG's; Privateer Press or what have you.

Sad git that I am, I play the following:

WH40K - Eldar/Dark Eldar/Spehss Muhreenz
Mordheim - Shadow Warriors
PP's WarMachine & Hordes - Retribution of Scyrah
X-Wing Miniatures - mainly Imperials
Saga - Ancient Greek Alliance (original faction)
Godslayer - Halodynes

and probably a few others at that... ¬_¬

What about you?!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I play tabletop games multiple times a week, though I'm on a break now thanks to the exam season. Can't wait for those to end tomorrow, which reminds me that I have to text a friend of mine if they want to play something this week to celebrate. Anything from Haunted House On The Hill to Ascension to the Battlestar Galactica boardgame.

Tabletop RPG's are included in that too, 5 campaigns so far; 2 Warhammer40K: Only War ones, a 40K: Rogue Trader campaign, a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire campaign and a D&D 5.0 campaign coming up after exams. Yeah I like my tabletop RPG's alright. I really want to play a Shadowrun campaign too.

Wargaming I'd get into as well but I lack both the money, space and time (painting and stuff) for it. Like, bloody hell OP that's a ton of miniature games you play there, considering you're a student.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Cowabungaa said:
Like, bloody hell OP that's a ton of miniature games you play there, considering you're a student.
Student? Ah... right... yeah, profile needs updating, I see... -.- Haven't been a student for three years now! Employment is the only reason I've been able to afford all of it... and little else, but who cares! >-.

Anyway, my mate who IS a student plays even more than I do (Malifaux and Warhammer Fantasy Battle as well as the games I've listed...).

That said, funniest line ever from a forty-year-old former pro-boxer, while mock-sobbing, face in hands: "I'm cheating on my wife with little soldiers!" -.-

Queen Michael said:
While I like reading WH40K novels and rulebooks, I've never actually played it.
What on earth do you read the rulebooks for?! Just the fluff? o_O

Aug 31, 2012
40K: Orks, Guard, small marine contingent
Epic: Imperial, plus small ork and eldar forces
BFG: Imperial & small chaos fleet
Space Hulk

Plus various models and books that take my fancy

RPG wise WHFRP, Dark Heresy, Rogue trader, CP2020.

To be honest though I very rarely play

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
I play none right now, but you could say I'm die-curious. :p All I've really seen so far is WH40K though and I'm a little disappointed by how stationary it looks. As in: both players line all their stuff up on one side of the table each, and by the end that line has moved forward a bit and that's your lot. Only when some serious pieces of terrain or deep strikes are involved does it get more interesting than that it seems.

Anyway, if I were to collect anything 40K it'd be tyranids. Because apparently I have a thing for the whole alien bio-army: stracrafts' zerg, endless legend's necrophages, even grey goo's goo.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Zykon TheLich said:
Epic: Imperial, plus small ork and eldar forces
BFG: Imperial & small chaos fleet
Given that neither of those are published any more... where did you get the miniatures for them? e-Bay or original releases? o_O

Queen Michael said:
I like all the lore. It's darn interesting!
I take it you're addicted to ham, then...! >_>

bliebblob said:
I play none right now, but you could say I'm die-curious. :p All I've really seen so far is WH40K though and I'm a little disappointed by how stationary it looks. As in: both players line all their stuff up on one side of the table each, and by the end that line has moved forward a bit and that's your lot. Only when some serious pieces of terrain or deep strikes are involved does it get more interesting than that it seems.

Anyway, if I were to collect anything 40K it'd be tyranids. Because apparently I have a thing for the whole alien bio-army: stracrafts' zerg, endless legend's necrophages, even grey goo's goo.
In that case... try Legion in WarMachine/Hordes... same imagery (Legion warbeasts look very Niddish) and it's much more combat orientated... still plenty of shooting, but average range is 10" instead of 24" in WH40K so it's decidedly much more in-your-face. Also, model counts tend to be much lower in WMH and the hobby is much cheaper to get started with.

Yeah, so... *nudge* *nudge* *hint* *hint* =P

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
I play eldar/orkz/spessmehreens in 40k
I play dworfs in WHFB if they still exist. (the last update was penned by ward and time of ending never interested me)
I played khador and ret' in scubmachine, never cared for it much, was thinking of a Asphyxious mangled metal list. Never liked it much anyway.
I plays dwarves in KoW and Orkz in dreadzone and warpath
And finally I own a unit of nomads for infinity.
My bro plays the animists in malefaux
And that's about it.
I wanted to pick up some historical minis, play some Carthage if you get my meaning.
I've been meaning to sit down and build a table or two, got a fan i ripped a part to make an imperial instantiation and some wooden end tables for dugouts.
At some point I'm going to fix myself up a dead zone team and maybe get back into monsterpoclyse.

On p&p front, I play DnD (most comfortable with 4e because I'm bad), WHFRP, 2nd, Tides of numinor.
Been meaning to play gurps, Call of chuhlu, robotech and try out my home brew battletech rpg

Queen Michael said:
I hope those were the older rulebooks, those were always the best
Also Might i ask what novels you've read, I could always suggest a few interesting ones if you haven't read them yet

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
40k: Tau and Grey Knights. Complete with tearcup!

Mordheim: Dark Elves. Starting this Saturday actually.

Iron Kingdoms: Retribution of Scyrah.

D&D: Elf rogue.

Dark Heresy 2.0: Adeptus Arbites. Pretty much a sheriff.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm a pretty avid 40k player. Space Wolves, Orks and 30k era Death Guard.

I've also been known to do DnD from time to time. Even played Battletech once, but it wasn't that good.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Not sure if this fits, but I collect RPG Game books, for story inspiration and reading material. So far, I have game books for the following: Shadowrun, Mutants and Masterminds, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, Ironclaw/Jadeclaw, CyberGeneration and World of Darkness... which should tell you what kind of stuff I'm into.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
Queen Michael said:
I hope those were the older rulebooks, those were always the best
Also Might i ask what novels you've read, I could always suggest a few interesting ones if you haven't read them yet
I'm always happy to get novel suggestions, so go ahead! I tried Space Wolves but felt it was so-so, so I moved on to the Gaunt's Ghosts series. People told me that Dan Abnett was good, and I do like his comics. So that's what I'm busy with right now.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
My tabletop leanings are less miniatures and more fantasy-driven, although I do have a small collection of custom minis.

So, a list:

Dungeons & Dragons, pretty much every edition. I started with the red box, and been here ever since. Plotting a new 5E campaign as we speak.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion. Still looking for a group to play this one with.

Pathfinder. Recently finished a campaign in this one.

Some variation of these 3 has been the last few years of my tabletop life. Plus allllllll the board games.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
40k: Tau and Grey Knights. Complete with tearcup!
Oh god.
Oh. god.
It's.
Oh.
Well at least you brought the tearcup, between wardian powerarmour and fish of rage you are a walking ball of hate.
The only way this could be worse is if you had 6 vendetta gimp guard list.
(also how's the mordheim, I never got a chance to try it myself)

Oct 12, 2011
Never got into the miniatures (mostly because of cost, but I also can't paint them worth a damn), but have been heavily involved in RPGs over the years.

First one I purchased was Basic D&D (the red box) and I still have some of the dice from that set. The 12-siders are so worn they are almost spheres. Kept up with Advanced D&D and stayed with it until 2nd Ed, when TSR Hobbies fell to crap. After that went into Palladium's line of stuff, especially Rifts which I still love.

I've purchased a fair number of Warhammer codexes, both Fantasy and 40K. Never collected the miniatures, as I said, but I bought the books to translate the creatures/tech into Rifts stats and inflict them on my players in my campaigns.

Currently, I'm running one campaign and playing in someone else's in White Wolf's Exalted. It's fun, though we all comment on how White Wolf apparently can't edit their books worth a damn.

Thinking it over, I've actually played a fairly large number of RPGs over the years, though I've only stuck with a handful of systems over the long-term. For a truncated list of the RPGs I've known:
Basic D&D
Advanced D&D
Gamma World (1st ed)
D&D 2nd Edition
Star Trek the Role Playing Game (1st Ed)
Call of Cthulhu/Stormbringer
Arcanum (back when Bard Games did it)
Rolemaster
Shadowrun
the Palladium line (pretty much all of them)

Aug 31, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Given that neither of those are published any more... where did you get the miniatures for them? e-Bay or original releases? o_O
Well now young man, let me tell you of a glorious, nigh mythical age...an age before Necrons, before Tau, before Ward...when mini's were a pound each, when Epic was Adeptus Titanicus, when 40K was Rogue Trader, when BFG was Space Fleet, when the Imperium wasn't quite so monstrously retarded, when I was but a youngster, not the wizened, withered old husk you see before you...