Taco Goes to England!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Demon ID said:
Why don't you leave London and come to the magical world that is... YORKSHIRE. It's the best place in the world and essentially 'gods country', non yorkshire areas don't really compare.
I'm going to second this - why go to somewhere like London, infested as it is by miserable city-folk, expensive beer and terrible infrastructure, when you could come to Yorkshire, with its beautiful countryside, lovely people and dirt-cheap beer? More specifically, you should go to York itself, for all of the above plus all the viking history stuff!

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Nickolai77 said:
When i read the thread title i thought Taco-Bell, the fast food chain, was opening stores in the UK....Not that i'm disappointed they're not, i'm pretty indifferent about Taco-Bell.

Sounds like you've got a while before you actually go so you have plenty of time to plan your trip and do some research- and who knows maybe next summer won't be as shitty as the one just gone so you might see some sunlight in England.

London could keep you busy for weeks with all the stuff there is to do and see- but what do you want to see? It would be helpful if you could list what interests you in relation to sight-seeing.
We already have a few Taco Bells dotted about. I had one, it was alright.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Joccaren said:
Umm...
There was some London Bridge thing, and some other similar thing somewhere else, where it tried to be one of those spooky walk through exhibits on the history of London with people following you, or jumping up behind you, and things looking like they were going to fall from the ceiling and such. In one of them there was a funny judge who pronounced everyone guilty for a variety of amusing reasons, but that might have been at Warwick Castle
That's the London Dungeons, really cheesy but good fun definitely worth checking out. Make sure you go to Camden Market it's amazing just watch for pickpockets. If you like modern art the Tate Modern is okay too.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
EscapeGoat said:
Demon ID said:
Why don't you leave London and come to the magical world that is... YORKSHIRE. It's the best place in the world and essentially 'gods country', non yorkshire areas don't really compare.
I'm going to second this - why go to somewhere like London, infested as it is by miserable city-folk, expensive beer and terrible infrastructure, when you could come to Yorkshire, with its beautiful countryside, lovely people and dirt-cheap beer? More specifically, you should go to York itself, for all of the above plus all the viking history stuff!
As much as it pains me to concede it, York is a wonderful place to visit. However, you really ought to forget about England entirely and visit Edinburgh. Yes its a bit chillier but there is so much to do, and it acts a base from which to go and view the Highlands, which are stunning. Its also nice and quite now that the festival is over.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Floggo said:
Go to a Sheffield nightclub and talk to the locals about people looking at their Mrs' it's hilarious.
If I end up at Sheffield Uni this is gonna become really tempting

Fappy said:
If you don't try to duel Daystar while you are there I will be extremely disappoint.
#
COS EVERY PLACE IN ENGLAND IS THE SAME PLACE

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Know what London doesn't have?

Me.

That's enough of a reason to come to Nottingham instead.
He wants to explore English culture, not get date raped and have the wheels removed from his car? :p

As someone mentioned above you should check out Camden, then have a wander around Soho (plenty of good little cafes out there where you can eat outside if its nice) and check out Picadilly. Really depends ultimately on what you want to do, or like to do I guess.

Dec 14, 2009
Fasckira said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Know what London doesn't have?

Me.

That's enough of a reason to come to Nottingham instead.
He wants to explore English culture, not get date raped and have the wheels removed from his car? :p

As someone mentioned above you should check out Camden, then have a wander around Soho (plenty of good little cafes out there where you can eat outside if its nice) and check out Picadilly. Really depends ultimately on what you want to do, or like to do I guess.
Pfft, stuff like that builds character.

I wouldn't be the fine upstanding citizen I am today without the rapings and the wheel removerings.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If you get the crap beat out of you by guys using large pool noodles just know that I was thinking of you.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Ah yeah, I can't believe I forgot getting stabbed by chavs in my authentic london experience. My mistake.
You forgot getting shot in South London, also authentic, especially post-stabbing.

Though to be fair you could get the same experience in Nottingham, for much cheaper.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Go to Piccadilly Circus, it's basically one of London's Time Square equivalents.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've been living in London for a week and it's impossible to step out of the front door and into anywhere that isn't a pub or bar (which is amaaaaaziiiinng). So, get drunk obviously. Go to an open-mic night or a small comedy gig. Visit Leicester Square. Do the Museums and stuff - a lot of them are free entry, although you'll have to pay for a few exhibits I think.

I mean, the touristy stuff. Can't walk 2 minutes without there being something interesting going on.

Captcha: Cherry on Top. I think I gave a tramp all the money I had left on me when I was extremely pissed the other night. It seemed less of a good idea in the morning.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
If you're in England, I will be required to attempt to kill you. The war, you understand.

Erm...

Drink some Irn Bru. Though it is Daystar's drink, so if you enjoy it, you are forever his *****.

Try some British sweets. We have a way better sugar content than shitty 'Murican candy. I suggest a dairy milk chocolate bar.

Ride the London Eye. Find a Scotsman, and tell him he's lucky to be English. Send me video footage of the result. If you're much for alcohol, try some absinth. I understand that's illegal in large parts of America. In Britain, they tend to have it in sports bars.

Edit: I almost forgot: Yorkshire shits on places like London.

Damn Southerners :D

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
PsychicTaco115 said:
Depends on what you want to visit Taco.

One thing I would recommend is getting an Oyster card to take advantage of the cheaper public transport fares it offers.

People have already mentioned the various museums dotted around the place, but I would recommend The Globe theatre due to its history (both the original and the replica. I also suggest Monument to the Great Fire of London, a column commemorating that massive fire which has a viewing platform at the top with a impressive view.

The Cutty Sark recently reopened with a new visitor centre after the boat was in a fire and the Royal Observatory, Greenwich is an ok place to visit as well.

Captcha: How ineresting (yes Captcha, London is.)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I recommend first of all getting an Oyster card, I think it costs £5 but the travelling will then be a lot cheaper for you.

There's quite a few good things to do in London, Museums have already been mentioned. The War Museum is great, it is in Elephant and Castle though, and that's a pretty dang rough area, so be careful!

The London Dungeons is quite a fun place, it's expensive though. There is a place similar to that which is called The London Bridge Experience which I think is a little less pricey.

Travel to Camden for a day and evening, it's a pretty interesting place with strange, weird and wonderful shops and people. London Zoo is also kind of near there.

Covernt Garden is a very nice place to spend an evening. Pricey though, so check out prices before you go!

Try to avoid places like Croydon, Tooting, and pretty much all of the south, it's filled with chavs and gangs down that way. Avoid Croydon at night.

The Shakespeare Globe Theatre is a wonderful place to go, for the history and also the tickets to see plays are fairly cheap, you can get some for about £5- £15.

Take a walk along the Southbank, it's beautiful and there is always something interesting going on. Near there I think there are some gardens which are free to go into.

Richmond Park is a gorgeous place to go, it is in a crappy area though, but Richmond Park is lovely and it is massive.

There are a lot of good pubs and things around Leicester Square, which is also a good place to go and from there you can walk to pretty much anywhere in London.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I really don't know why everyone seems to be recommending Yorkshire. I went there and enjoyed the whole three sights of t'rain, t'pub and t'pit. Now Lancashire on the other hand was brilliant.

COME AT ME BRO.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Take silly pictures with the Buckingham Palace guards.

That's what I'd do in England, anyways.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
AnarchistFish said:
Floggo said:
Go to a Sheffield nightclub and talk to the locals about people looking at their Mrs' it's hilarious.
If I end up at Sheffield Uni this is gonna become really tempting

Fappy said:
If you don't try to duel Daystar while you are there I will be extremely disappoint.
#
COS EVERY PLACE IN ENGLAND IS THE SAME PLACE
An epic duel is worth a lengthy drive!