Taco News - Cuphead Developer Calls Journalists Wimps

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So where were all you people crying "how dare The Escapist post clearly labeled satire as news" when the content feed was inundated with advertizing?

Keep it up, Taco. You're one of the few "official" sources around here that I genuinely look forward to.

ElPolloDiablo657

Aug 12, 2012
This is one of the many reasons I am going to start coming here for Zero Punctuation only. What happened to this site? There are 3 things on the schedule that are not just times to watch them on twitch and the news feed went from several stories a day to maybe 1, often this fake crap.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
BTW I just have to say this. Yes after rereading this and checking things I figured out it was a joke, but I was also reading this on mobile. And guess what? On mobile it doesn't list tags so there was no little notification of " Satire " So for everyone saying it was clearly labeled as such. No, No it wasn't.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Good old Poe's Law. Never more real than in the current political landscape.

Without a very clear indication something on the Internet is supposed to be satire, no matter how extreme, people will confuse it with the real thing.
LysanderNemoinis said:
The only thing about this article I found surprising is that it's actually far more honest and accurately portrays game journalists despite being obvious satire. And deep down, part of me wishes that more devs had that over-the-top no shits given attitude.
Case in point.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hahaha, this would have been so meta if true. A journalists whining about developers calling them whimps.

Good joke, Taco.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Doctor Professor said:
This is not "satire." This is lies. This is clickbait. This is irresponsible. This devalues the Escapist as a news source.
This implies The Escapist is still a news source. We haven't had a real news article in like... two months. The entire feed for ages was just video reposts and selling stuff(that will never top the toilet lights). Now I can actually look forward to some authentic news and weekly game releases.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Also hopping on the, "The Escapist has had real new lately and not just ads?!?!" bandwagon.

This site has been dying, and someone is willing to make content for this dying site and he gets all these complaints from people. I am thankful for the effort Taco puts into this, as I think it helps the site out. And help is what this site needs.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
PointlessKnowledge said:
Also hopping on the, "The Escapist has had real new lately and not just ads?!?!" bandwagon.

This site has been dying, and someone is willing to make content for this dying site and he gets all these complaints from people. I am thankful for the effort Taco puts into this, as I think it helps the site out. And help is what this site needs.
It's good , it's funny too. I'm just saying that it looked like a news article, and since I was reading it on mobile There was no " Satire " tag

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
PointlessKnowledge said:

100%

People don't have to find it funny but at least have a touch of respect for someone volunteering their time and efforts. Granted, these comments haven't been as bad as previous ones but there's a big difference between valid criticism and just being an asshole.

That said...

Winnosh said:
BTW I just have to say this. Yes after rereading this and checking things I figured out it was a joke, but I was also reading this on mobile. And guess what? On mobile it doesn't list tags so there was no little notification of " Satire " So for everyone saying it was clearly labeled as such. No, No it wasn't.
That is not something we realized. We were fine with it in news since it was clearly marked but if the mobile version takes that out, we'll discuss moving it.

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
People don't have to find it funny but at least have a touch of respect for someone volunteering their time and efforts.
I don't know whether this was directed at me, but this is wholly irrelevant. Nobody's said anything negative about Taco or his work. Some have just said that it's a bad idea for the Escapist to put out a wholly fabricated story in their regular News feed.

tippy2k2 said:
Granted, these comments haven't been as bad as previous ones but there's a big difference between valid criticism and just being an asshole.
This reads like you are saying that even in this thread there is no valid criticism (except apparently for the thing about no tags on mobile), just assholes. I am hoping this is not your intent.

tippy2k2 said:
We were fine with it in news since it was clearly marked but if the mobile version takes that out, we'll discuss moving it.
I am glad to hear this, but I'm gonna say one more time that even aside from that this article is not clearly marked. The tag is also not in the RSS version, nor in the Forum version on this very page, and even in the full news version it's buried in with other tags, right next to the "TACO NEWS" tag. As has been noted, anyone who is not a forum regular doesn't know that "Taco News" means "Fake News".

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Dreiko said:
This reads more real than a lot of real interviews which I think may be an issue.
"No matter how absurd a satire is, there will always be real-life examples identical to it" is so common that it should be a law. Let's call it Seith's Law!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Doctor Professor said:
tippy2k2 said:
People don't have to find it funny but at least have a touch of respect for someone volunteering their time and efforts.
I don't know whether this was directed at me, but this is wholly irrelevant. Nobody's said anything negative about Taco or his work. Some have just said that it's a bad idea for the Escapist to put out a wholly fabricated story in their regular News feed.

tippy2k2 said:
Granted, these comments haven't been as bad as previous ones but there's a big difference between valid criticism and just being an asshole.
This reads like you are saying that even in this thread there is no valid criticism (except apparently for the thing about no tags on mobile), just assholes. I am hoping this is not your intent.
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular (in fact, this thread has been pretty tame with some actual legit issues that we'll discuss compared to previous TN stories); just in general.

I thought I was clear with that but if I wasn't, that's my bad.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
PointlessKnowledge said:

100%

People don't have to find it funny but at least have a touch of respect for someone volunteering their time and efforts. Granted, these comments haven't been as bad as previous ones but there's a big difference between valid criticism and just being an asshole.
No we dont. We really dont. Just like we dont have to respect when someone masterfully TP's your house, even though they put alot of work into it.

The excuses people are making to justify this is rather sad.

What about the people being an asshole to people with valid criticisms? Everyone is so dismissive of those who find this to be poor taste and problematic.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Like several people here, I clicked the thing not realising (not remembering in my case) about the Taco News-thing (I also read it on mobile, and so never saw the word "satire"). I did understood that it was satire (somewhat later in the article than I'm proud of), but I personally didn't find it very amusing. But by all means, that doesn't mean I dislike that it exists, I'm happy someone is still making content for this site. But it really shouldn't be in the "News"-section, it's commentary/entertainment, and should be catalogued as such.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It's not the content or the quality of it that is a problem. It just shouldn't be labelled under "News", that's all. I appreciate the work people put in to provide a bit of entertainment on a website that is sinking, and any news is better than no news, but this deserves it's own category.

It is also irresponsible when it comes to the whole fake news scene. Someone somewhere out there is eventually just gonna skim through the headlines on the front page and take these articles as facts.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Redlin5 said:
Fappy said:
Fake news!
Literally!

Also thanks for bringing the chuckles Taco, better than just the repost/marketing sales bots that used to be the only content in the feed.
While I agree with you, taco news is excellent, I also want to learn how to earn thousands of dollars FROM MY OWN HOME with this one little secret.