Taiwanese Animation Lampoons Supreme Court Decision

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Supreme Court cases would be so much cooler if they were actually decided by lethal gunfights.

If you're not familiar with Taiwanese media group iPhone 4 antenna issues and the infamous FoxConn suicides [http://tw.nextmedia.com/].

NMA's video production team works scarily fast, as it's already released a video covering the recent Supreme Court decision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames] that ruled that videogames had all the First Amendment protections granted to other forms of media.

It's silly and doesn't go too in-depth into the issue, but it's also rather amusing how it depicts the events leading up to the case, as well as Justice Anthony Scalia's majority decision.

I'm pretty sure that Scalia didn't actually present his decision by firing assault rifles into the air with children in front of a giant American flag, but it would have been kind of amazing if he had.

Still, it doesn't quite top the fire-breathing lesbians from the New York gay marriage animation [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyszirSOXyI&NR=1]. But then again, what does?

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/28/nma-tv-breaks-down-the-supreme-court-game-ruling/])

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
well, that was... strange. That said, politics would be far more enjoyable to watch this way.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I support the decision made by these people...cause who DOESN'T WANT to give children firearms to fire off into the sky while holding free videogames!? (0:36 in the video)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
John Funk said:
Oddly enough, the gay marriage one was pretty balanced (though ridiculous in its iconography). This one? Way off the mark. The picture being painted is that they want to impose violent entertainment on innocent children, when in reality they just want to leave it to the parents to decide, and not support ridiculous laws that will cost too much time and money in enforcement and argument.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That, and the associated fire-breathing lesbians, were absolutely amazing. Awesome. Thanks for finding that, Funk.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Funnily enough, I've been watching these things for a good proportion of the day, brilliant stuff, if the news in the uk was like this, we might be a little less grumpy. I thoroughly reccomend ( but can't link to due to using an ipod) the Obama launches diary one. "Biden bit my finger". that is all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh god that was too funny! I like the extra touch with the American flag drop down behind them.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Wow, could this become the official news station of the world now. You have to admire how topical they are I'm just amazed they are able to put together such a high quality animation in such a short time.

also related:

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Dastardly said:
John Funk said:
Oddly enough, the gay marriage one was pretty balanced (though ridiculous in its iconography). This one? Way off the mark. The picture being painted is that they want to impose violent entertainment on innocent children, when in reality they just want to leave it to the parents to decide, and not support ridiculous laws that will cost too much time and money in enforcement and argument.
Uh, dude? It's satire; they aren't being serious.

Any, I laughed my ass off! I got into it last night with my uncle, who's literal opinion of the Supreme Court very closely matches that farcical laugh-fest(It's sad, I know); it's great to see not everyone thinks that way.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Elementlmage said:

Any, I laughed my ass off! I got into it last night with my uncle, who's literal opinion of the Supreme Court very closely matches that farcical laugh-fest(It's sad, I know); it's great to see not everyone thinks that way.
You think so? I was getting caricature more than satire. It lacks the context that would make for an effective satire.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Dastardly said:
Elementlmage said:

You think so? I was getting caricature more than satire. It lacks the context that would make for an effective satire.
Caricature and Satire are not mutually exclusive. Certainly we can agree that they are lampooning something, which would certainly fall into the realm of satire? Whether it is the Supreme Court verdict itself, or the reaction to the verdict makes no difference.