Take A Look At Microsoft's Official Xbox One Headset

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Why would I want a headset with only one earphone? It looks very uncomfortable.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
GenGenners said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?
Yes, to my knowledge.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/14/hands-on-impressions-dualshock-4/
Thank you for answering. :)

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
With those words in mind, we invite you to please visit the comments section below and enjoy airing your thoughts on the Xbox One's headset.
Why am I now picturing the Escapist office team sitting around a big screen with popcorn?

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Okay, with all of the console war stuff on the side ...

I can go buy a pair of headphones that are:
More durable
Have 2 speakers
Adjustable mic
and possibly have the poofy thing at the end ...

for around 15usd at any Walmart.

Not impressed.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Olrod said:
Not sure, but Sony is doing the same thing. Better than nothing I suppose, but most people use it for the mic than the listening experience. Of course then they will buy a $100 Turtle Beach headset or something down the line.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Upbeat Zombie said:
So does it come with the Xbox One in box? Other wise the "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," line seems a bit unrelated to the mic itself.
Microsoft hadn't said or done anything extremely stupid in the revealing of the headset, so we had to be reminded that they still hate the consumer and think we're stupid. Though it still wasn't exactly called for to bring it up in this specific article, as they have an article now dedicated to the specific comment that the Xbone is a $1000 value at only $499.99!

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
GenGenners said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?
Yes, to my knowledge.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/14/hands-on-impressions-dualshock-4/
You know, the mic looked kind of crappy, but for it being out of the box, that's awesome. I've run for the past 2 years with the crappiest computer mic and only upgraded because my friend gave me his old one, so I could actually use this out of the box mic until we get a PS5. Another reason why I'm psyched to get this console.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
In the realm of new, arguably impressive features, the headset does include a few. According to Gamespot, "players will be able to access mute and volume controls without taking their hands off the controller."
So...bringing back old features and touting them as "new"? Really Gamespot/MS?

Either Gamespot is stupid, or Microsoft's PR teams are horrible, because the original 360 mics already HAD that feature, before later MS-brand mics *removed* the mute and volume controls from the port and moved them into the center of the cord.

You USED to be able to mute and change volume with your thumb, before they made the asinine decision to make you have to remove your hand from the controller and fumble with the cord just to mute your mic.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
Well the PS4 does come with a mono headset included in the box according to Amazon.co.uk - the single picture I found of it online didn't make it look too good though (although the article did say it was a prototype) It also didn't look like it comes with a mic.

I would want a stereo headset anyway - seriously who wouldn't?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kalezian said:
yea, considering that most bluetooth headsets work, while the Xbox needs a 2.5 jack or a 3.5>2.5 adapter for a microphone to work.
I think what annoys me most is that their wireless headsets are crap. Well, the old ones were OKAY. I had an old one and it worked well enough, picked up my voice without everything else in the room, but it wasn't spectacular. No cartwheels for it or anything. The newest one picked up everything and sounded like utter crap.

With the Playstation, I just use what I've already got for my phone. It's not an expensive headset, either. I paid 35 bucks and it has stereo, decent noise cancellation, decent range, etc. It's not going to bowl anybody over, but for a communication headset over a gaming device (or a phone with backup music options) It's far and away ahead of what Microsoft did.

Actually, I hate most of Microsoft's peripherals. But I'm not out to just bash Microsoft here. I just...I don't get the apparent lack of a common connectivity protocol AGAIN.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but...ah well.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kiya said:
Well the PS4 does come with a mono headset included in the box according to Amazon.co.uk - the single picture I found of it online didn't make it look too good though (although the article did say it was a prototype) It also didn't look like it comes with a mic.

I would want a stereo headset anyway - seriously who wouldn't?
For voice communication only? I'm not sure I'd care. If there are other options, then yes.

In fact, I sort of prefer voice chat to be in one ear only.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Whoa whoa whoa...I'm confused and maybe I'm just dumb but what are the batteries for? It looks wired so I don't believe it's wireless...or when he talks about the batteries, is he referring to the controller? It says that the headset comes with the batteries so I presume he's referring to the headset...

Anyway, shouldn't it have the poofy thing on the end? Where's my poofy thing!?!
Obviously for the mind control chip installed on the headset to make sure taht you don't think about buying used games or not playing your xbox one

OT: What's the price tag on this thing, it looks like they're going to charge a lot for it.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Since EVERY Xbone will come with a Kinect... why would a headset be necessary? I mean, doesn't the Kinect have the capability to handle all of that? I guess for some, they'd prefer a headset, but either this is going to be largely useless, or Microsoft hilariously has a mandatory kinect which has issues with voice chat, which is REALLY unlikely, despite their terrible PR.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Olrod said:
It's probably like the 360 headset and is only for communication, not game audio. If it had two earphones you wouldn't be able to hear the game clearly.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Why, why would I want something that looks fragile and uncomfortable when I can use Bluetooth or my tablet's onboard mic for the same thing ¿
Not to mention that the specs state that the kinect2 has a top of the line microphone ¿

I'm confused

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Dominic Crossman said:
Why would you need a mic on the headset when the mandatory kinect already has, in their words, a top of the range mic?
This is a very good point. Why has no-one else picked up on this?

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
What the hell is this? I wouldn't even use something like this if someone gave it to me for free. I'm serious here. This thing looks so cheap. First you only have sound on one side of your ear. So that alone drags the quality down. In addition I don't believe that this thing will have any quality sound at all.

And the point which was made by posters above regarding the microphone is valid as well....

Why is MS doing this?

This cannot be the same company that made gamer hardware like this: