Take Advantage of the GOG Dungeons & Dragons Sale

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Take Advantage of the GOG Dungeons & Dragons Sale

Now's the time to stock up on some RPG gems of the last 15 years.

I've never played Planescape: Torment. I know that is silly considering I spend so much time thinking about class, level, and hit points in my life and not a day goes by that I don't feel ashamed for missing out on what many point to as a touchstone of storytelling in computer RPGs. Well, now's my chance. Good Old Games is running a promotion [http://www.gog.com/page/promo_buy1_get1] until the end of February on a whole library of Dungeons & Drgons-branded games. You can buy little games like Baldur's Gate and get Neverwinter for free. Not a bad deal.

That's not all the GOG is handing out. If you participate in the promotion, you'll also get 2003's Temple of Elemental Evil as an extra special bonus. I never played this "tactical RPG" but it seems like it uses D&D 3.5 rules to offer fun turn-based party combat.

If you're a fan of older RPGs, you don't have to listen to [user]Slycne[/user] go on about Baldur's Gate in our podcasts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast] to realize that picking it for 10 bucks is in your best interests, but add in Baldur's Gate 2 (or any of the other games on the list) plus the freebie and I have to ask if you need to see a healer.

Are you feeling OK? You should go to GOG.com immediately. [http://www.gog.com/page/promo_buy1_get1]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Aww damn it. Thing is despite wanting to play Planescape and Baldur's Gate I know I probably won't ever play them. I've bought Wing Commander 3 from GOG, but I've yet to play that too.

What I really need is to be stuck out in a cabin in the woods with only electric power and a lower end Netbook PC so I can play some awesome classic games without being tempted by new shiny ones.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I bought The Temple of Elemental Evil from them about three days ago... bad timing. Especially since I haven't played it yet. Oh well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Icewind Dale games? How do they compare to Baldur's Gate?

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
I know I'm probably going to get stick for this but IMHO, Temple of Elemental Evil is probably the toughest D&D game I've played.

Basically, I've seen my 1st level party butchered so many times I eventually gave up.

Also, even when I survived, there are some bad glitches in terms of completing quests which really got on my nerves, given how many times I had to reload saves to complete them...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
LookingGlass said:
I bought The Temple of Elemental Evil from them about three days ago... bad timing. Especially since I haven't played it yet. Oh well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Icewind Dale games? How do they compare to Baldur's Gate?
Well I can't talk from experience only from what I've heard. From what people say its basically all the good combat from the Baldur's Gate games but the story is lacking. Though who knows if you enjoy the game part chances are the writings not bad by any sense. On some bright side the Icewind Dale UI will adjust well to widescreen mods without needing any other mods to fix it. But I would at least say if you are interested in them then now is the time to check them out.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Already grabbed BG 1 & 2, because of this deal. Here's to hoping they live up to the hype...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
can anyone recommend another game to go with planescape?
Icewind Dale is pretty much Planescapes polar opposite. 95% combat, and you can make your whole party from scratch. If you're going to get a Baldur's Gate, get 2. I haven't gotten around to any of the other ones yet.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I just finished Planescape two days ago.

You get that game, Mr. Tito. You get that game and you play it right now!

And make sure to recruit Dak'kon when you see him. He's really awesome.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]
Ilikemilkshake said:
can anyone recommend another game to go with planescape?
Icewind Dale is pretty much Planescapes polar opposite. 95% combat, and you can make your whole party from scratch. If you're going to get a Baldur's Gate, get 2. I haven't gotten around to any of the other ones yet.
Cool, i think i'll get Baldur's Gate 2 then :)

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I just bought Baldur's Gate 1/2, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale 1/2, and Neverwinter Nights.

Yeah... i'm gonna be busy for a while, even if i've already played BG1/2. I loved those games so much, and I hear all these others kick arse too. ^_^

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Typo alert: you got some Drgons in your Dungeons.

Another nitpick: how on earth can you consider Baldur's Gate to be a "little game"??

Seems like a good deal, though. Can't go wrong with two-for-the-price-of-one. Wish they had those old "Dark Sun" games on there, but oh well.

EDIT: is "need to see healer" another typo? Shouldn't it be "a healer", or is healer some dude from one of the games? Or maybe it's some kinda meme-y in-joke thing? I dunno.

Quakester

Blaster Master
Apr 27, 2010
Ah, Baldur's Gate. Back when an RPG meant some actual roleplaying and where being evil wasn't always easier. A word to the wise, if you want to be evil in BG 2 be prepared for a MUCH tougher game.

WolfLord

Nov 8, 2011
Does GoG's version of Neverwinter nights work on windows 7? My physical version won't, and i really need me some Neverwinter.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nice sale, though, I've already played most of the D&D-based/inspired games I've wanted to play (BG2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum), and tried/stopped playing the ones I wasn't sure about (Icewind Dale, ToEE)

Might try Neverwinter Nights though. I mean, I only played the main campaign, which was pretty disappointing, but I hear some of the modules are great.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
ToEE has some fantastic graphics for its era, but the gameplay is severely lacking and I cannot even begin to list the amount of bugs. Since so much of the game world is taken up by the initial village - none of which really has any effect on the main quest anyway - levelling is pretty much impossible unless you constantly travel back and forth to get random encounters.

That said... buy it for the soundtrack. Seriously. THIS is how fantasy music should be done. Not the kind of crap that works in movies like "Lord of the Rings", so they think will work in videogames as well.

When I'm exploring a big open world, alert for monsters that might attack at any moment, I do not want to be hearing soaring orchestral riffs in my earphones. Gah. "TES: Oblivion": such good music the first time you heard it. SO IRRITATING the sixtieth time. ToEE's soundtrack is almost all ambient, incredibly effective, and absolutely adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Temple of Elemental Evil: buggy, unbalanced, great character creation system but not much to do with it. But it's also got one of the greatest videogame soundtracks I've ever heard. What the heck do you do with that?

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
I am really debating about just getting Baulders Gate 2 and Planescape or getting both BGs, then NWN and Planescape as my freebies. How were BG 1 and NWN?