Take heed, for the news dark and full of errors.....

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
Reading the most recent bit about minecraft being blamed for potential violence at the hands of a adolescent, I'm reminded once again of why I pretty much avoid all popular news media outlets.

I've often wondered what hilarity might ensue if in an "anononamus-esque"/4chan effort many were to contact various people of said outlets and turn their own ignorance against them? Not unlike the "over 9000 penises raping.." joke played on operah, we twist the eventual story into something rather amusing for the gaming community, rather than something head-deskingly stupid and frustrating.

Basically give them a sob story of the most mundane games written creatively out of context and see how they run it. :p

And while I understand some have the opinion that gamers need to strive to be "Accepted" by the community, I nearly guarantee it will take at least a generation for this to occur regardless of whatever attempts we make to create accessible, understandable and friendly games. Simply due to the ignorance of the current regime.

What are your thoughts?

P.S.
Captcha "That's positive energy"
I think some would disagree XD

Brown Cap

Jan 6, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Games are simply this generations current "scapegoat" Rock music was blamed for violence in people a few years back, now people find that violent video games are an easier target. Something else will be blamed before long.
Pretty Accurate Summation
People tend to attack what they don't understand. And that's not supposed to be a bunch of hippie malarkey: If you have middle-aged parents who never have played this generation's type of games (I mean: compare Call of Duty, Fallout, and Last of Us to an NES or a Dreamcast) who have recognized and understood that you can shoot, maim, and slaughter things on a video game and have a distinct effect that makes one want to do it again (achievement, quest, fun...) then they will believe, through the human thought process, that the games are mindless and dangerous.

Just 'round them up and put them in a seminar -
"Games aren't just People-Torturing, Innocent-Reaping, Over-sexualized media outlets. I mean, they have that stuff, but it's an art form too"

You're right. The news is foolish. Welcome to half the world's social ideals condensed into a TV channel.

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Games are simply this generations current "scapegoat" Rock music was blamed for violence in people a few years back, now people find that violent video games are an easier target. Something else will be blamed before long.

I remember the 9000 penises thing and how funny it was to see Oprah read it completely seriously, it would be fun to see another of those, but what would that be?
Hrm...we need something most people know about in at least an oblique sense to the degree that when they release their horror story pertaining to it, the majority of people will know how utterly off they are.

Could go with something as "TL:DR" as "Cooking mama" with the skew of telling them it's a game where a abused child eventually turns on their alcoholic single mother, killing her with an oven, and had driven a sibling to try and injure his mother with a stove or some such.
Sounding dramatic enough to make a good story and good ammunition against games and violence, but of course with even tertiary examination it is entirely disproven, though that seems too elaborate...

Often the simplest lie is the easiest to accept..hrm..

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I remember the 9000 penises thing and how funny it was to see Oprah read it completely seriously, it would be fun to see another of those, but what would that be?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a game where you stalk vulnerable women. Make a Youtube video of the multiplayer chasing down someone using a female model and screaming.

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
Bad Jim said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a game where you stalk vulnerable women. Make a Youtube video of the multiplayer chasing down someone using a female model and screaming.
Haha, brilliant. Just mod in some skimpier clothes and tell them you're playing in Detroit city. That'll explain the detritus. :p

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
In the 50s it was comics, in the 60s it was rock music, in the 70s it was heavy metal, in the 80s it was DnD, in the 90s it was death metal. Now it is video games.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
The fact that most people 30 and under have now played games and have friends who enjoy them means like everything that has been blamed for youths being mad bastards it will slowly die down and be replaced by some new thing that we don't understand. I wonder what we'll all blame instead, damned holodecks making kids think its okay to bring phasers into zero-g preschool...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Paradox's library of grand strategy games are, quite clearly to a middle aged golfer, in fact a sinister training tool to teach young children the finer arts of global domination.

Here's your headline, Daily Mail!

"East vs. West; Brainwashing your children to lead the future Communist World Government?"

Bad Jim said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I looted a copy of Mein Kampf in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery modpack last night, I'm sure they can work that in somehow.