Take Two taking down GTA mods.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Oh look, a game company doing something bad. Must be another day ending in y.

Take Two has issued takedowns for mods of Grand Theft Auto games, some of which have existed for years.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
GTA is another one of the those franchises that I have to ask, how the hell are people still fans? This sucks obviously, and is pretty pathetic from Take Two. Are they seriously worried some measly mod made on 2013 software is gonna take attention away from their gigantic, overhyped sequel?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
GTA is another one of the those franchises that I have to ask, how the hell are people still fans? This sucks obviously, and is pretty pathetic from Take Two. Are they seriously worried some measly mod made on 2013 software is gonna take attention away from their gigantic, overhyped sequel?
A lot of kids and teens who spend too much playing GTA V Online to impress their friends and peers. The fact a lot of parents buy their kids these games. A majority of them don't even care for single player mode at this point or most parents won't let the little ones touch it any way.

Back on topic: Fuck Take Two! This is why I refuse to buy their or most other Western AAA products anymore. They've had no problems before letting this mod run for 8 years. So why all the trouble now? There are a bunch of mods for GTA IV that are still up and running. You might as well get rid of those too.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What the? I thought Rockstar was actually treating their modders well.(link)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh look, a game company doing something bad. Must be another day ending in y.

Take Two has issued takedowns for mods of Grand Theft Auto games, some of which have existed for years.

As they built more and more into Gta online this was going to happen eventually. Not really surprising tbh.

There is also a possibility they are planning to tie the game into a new engine for the ps5 update and possibly beyond so they want mods gone to prevent breaking during the next update.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As they built more and more into Gta online this was going to happen eventually. Not really surprising tbh.

There is also a possibility they are planning to tie the game into a new engine for the ps5 update and possibly beyond so they want mods gone to prevent breaking during the next update.
Still a dick move and they could have just explained that (if that is the case) or been nicer about it. When Capcom told the people they could not do the fan remake of RE2 anymore, they politely told them and gave them time to take everything down. This led to those fans creating Daymare by the way.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Still a dick move and they could have just explained that (if that is the case) or been nicer about it. When Capcom told the people they could not do the fan remake of RE2 anymore, they politely told them and gave them time to take everything down. This led to those fans creating Daymare by the way.
I think most publishers could certainly do better with public relations for sure. And this could just be an outright deep dicking by simply changing their stance on modding entirely, though i doubt it.

There is also the possibility of an exploit being found in the code that could allow a mod grant people free shark dollara or whatever the fuck their microtransaction shit it.

At the end of the day, they do also have the right to control their game and if they dont want mods then they have the right to make that decision. Of course if they just were nice about it that would be swell.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At the end of the day, they do also have the right to control their game and if they dont want mods then they have the right to make that decision. Of course if they just were nice about it that would be swell.
The problem with that: it's been 8 fucking years! If they were really bothered by it, Take Two would have shut all of the mods down years ago, or at the start of it. The only reason now is due to spineless greed, even though they've made 6Xs the amount of money back on GTAV. I know you're not defending them, but it's still bullshit either way you look at.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The problem with that: it's been 8 fucking years! If they were really bothered by it, Take Two would have shut all of the mods down years ago, or at the start of it. The only reason now is due to spineless greed, even though they've made 6Xs the amount of money back on GTAV. I know you're not defending them, but it's still bullshit either way you look at.
That time makes me think that they found an exploit or something that is letting mods pull free microtransactions. That is the only thing that makes sense and explains why they would suddenly just yank it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Back on topic: Fuck Take Two! This is why I refuse to buy their or most other Western AAA products anymore. They've had no problems before letting this mod run for 8 years. So why all the trouble now? There are a bunch of mods for GTA IV that are still up and running. You might as well get rid of those too.
Yeah, Japanese publishers are so much better about allowing mods!

Oh no wait...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, Japanese publishers are so much better about allowing mods!

Oh no wait...
I never said nor implied that. I am more than aware of their bullshit too. Nintendo is super guilty of this and certain other Japanese companies too. Hell, I just brought up the Capcom example with the fan remake of RE2.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I never said nor implied that. I am more than aware of their bullshit too. Nintendo is super guilty of this and certain other Japanese companies too. Hell, I just brought up the Capcom example with the fan remake of RE2.
Then why mention "Western AAA" games instead of just saying "AAA games?" It implies that AAA studios that aren't Western are better about it. They aren't, they're worse. You just really like to point out all the ways in which Western games are bad while turning a blind eye to the fact that Japan does all the same things, if not worse in a lot of cases.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then why mention "Western AAA" games instead of just saying "AAA games?" It implies that AAA studios that aren't Western are better about it. They aren't, they're worse. You just really like to point out all the ways in which Western games are bad while turning a blind eye to the fact that Japan does all the same things, if not worse in a lot of cases.
And you keep constantly assuming. The reason why I put Western in the front, is because big dick moments like this tend to stick out more for me. The Japanese have plenty of fuck ups with Sega (Streets of Rage fan remake, which is just as bad), Nintendo (Metroid II fan remake), Square, Capcom, Atlus, and especially Konami. The difference being some of still fucking try, attempt mix it up, or do something new.

I never once turned a blind eye to the Japanese. I've called out plenty on Sega and Capcom, my favorite developers/publishers mind you. Capcom had an entire dork age that lasted for near a decade. Something they pulled themselves out starting at 2017, and that dork age ending in 2019.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And you keep constantly assuming. The reason why I put Western in the front, is because big dick moments like this tend to stick out more for me. The Japanese have plenty of fuck ups with Sega (Streets of Rage fan remake, which is just as bad), Nintendo (Metroid II fan remake), Square, Capcom, Atlus, and especially Konami . The difference being some of still fucking try or attempt mix it up or do something new.

I never once turned a blind eye to the Japanese. I've called out plenty on Sega and Capcom, my favorite developers/publishers mind you. Capcom had entire dork age that lasted for near a decade. Something they pulled themselves out starting at 2017, and that dork age ending at 2019.
Or it's because you just don't like those games to begin with and just want to find reasons to dislike them.

It's exactly like how you claim you'll never buy another game from a Western studio that crunches employees, but when I pointed out that every Japanese studio has done that for decades (crunch is such a normal part of their work culture that they don't even call it that) you didn't make any such promises to never buy a Japanese made game again.

You have an anti-western pro-Japanese bias and it seeps into every criticism you make about western games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's exactly like how you claim you'll never buy another game from a Western studio that crunches employees, but when I pointed out that every Japanese studio has done that for decades (crunch is such a normal part of their work culture that they don't even call it that) you didn't make any such promises to never buy a Japanese made game again.
You only got the partial info. I won't buy Western AAA games with unnecessary crunch and shell price game at $60.00. I still buy some. We all already know about the Japanese work force in many places; especially in all forms of entertainment. It's a huge problem on sanity and health too. Besides, I don't buy all of the Japanese AAA games either, nor too many of them. Most of the games that are Japanese AAA are from either Capcom, Platinum, Tango Game Works, or Nintendo (and even then I don't have that much of their first party games). Everything else is AA or indie at that point. Not to say abuse can't happen there either, but not as frequent.

Besides, Nintendo treats their developers and teams mostly well, though they did screw up plenty of times behind the scenes in the past. The canceled Project HAMMER (Wii) comes to mind. What they did with that team inexcusable! There was racism going on from the Japanese side and treating their Western developers like crap! The people they hired to do a fucking new game and their fucking job!

You have an anti-western pro-Japanese bias and it seeps into every criticism you make about western games.
No, I don't. You've once again, assumed and constantly put words in my mouth. You keep trying to make me out as this big ass hypocrite. You don't even come close to knowing me enough. I'm not always assuming about you either. So can you do me a solid, and show me that same respect? If there is something you like to know or need my input, just ask. I will answer to the best of my abilities.

I do admit that of having a preference forJapanese games over Western games, but I don't have a hardcore hatred of all things Western. I love the indies and AA's on the Western side, because they at least try. I like Remedy, because they don't act like one trick ponies, and are trying something new or don't plan on screwing people over. I like Santa Monica and the direction they've taken with God of War 4. You would know this if you bothered to ask or look at some of my past posts.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Is this like when they away GTA5 mods due to them competing with shark cards, and their MTX?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
My biggest issue with Take Two is how lopsided their support has been for GTA Online vs RDO, which could be far more than what it currently is by now if they had a team nearly as dedicated.

It’s sad and frustrating because most of the RDO community generally has a strong sense of camaraderie even among strangers, which I’ve never gotten the impression about from GTA. I can play free roam for hours on low hostility without even getting shot at. There is wide diversity among the game’s pursuits but also a common solidarity, where the vast majority of people seem to understand that others are simply trying to get by on the frontier. Of course, there are ways to make it more Wild West-like, but the fact the online is like a live, more customizable extension of the story mode while still retaining its sense of environmental intimacy (along with offering several QoL improvements) is why I’ve put more hours into it, let alone probably any other online game.

Last edited:

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Oh fer....Take Two, are we really going through this AGAIN? How did it end for you the first time you pulled this?