Taking money from the Buddha. Literally.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
I've been wanting to get this game for a long time, and I was X amount of money short. I was going to get 2X next week, so, I only needed to be patient.

Now, I was heading out with some friends, when I noticed the little Buddha statue my mom has on the foyer. It had a crisp X bill hanging under it. My mom doesn't believe in Buddhaism, but that's beside the point, she always leaves money for "good fortune". I don't believe in that so taking it wasn't exactly "morally challenging" for me, and next week, I'm putting it back. The only thing that changed is the time in which I'm getting the game.

I'm not feeling bad about this, part of me think I should, but I don't. Escapiststs, tell me, in my situation, what would have you done?

(Also, I AM heading out so I won't be answering if quoted)

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I don't think you should have done that. Would it really have killed you to wait until you did have the money?

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Even if you're giving it back, you seized someone else's possession just because you wanted it. You could do the same with a vase; by your logic if you give it back and nobody misses it then it's okay. People have rights over their property, and you can't just violate them because you think they won't mind or because you'll repay them later.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Stop right there, criminal scum!
Really though; it's not your money. Put it back and ask your mother nicely if you can borrow some money.
Also apologise.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Nah, stealing money from your mother is not cool, even if you plan to return it. The fact that it's sat on a Buddha for good luck is irrelevant.

If I were you the guilt would be killing me, I don't know how you can feel nothing.

mcdain

Oct 2, 2011
If you need money, you should just ask. Now if said bill was lying on the pavement, that'd be a different story...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You don't know the full consequence of your action even when you do intend to replace it a week later (you just pissed off a buddha)!

Ok seriously you shouldn't have done that regardless of your belief including your mother belief. She intended to place that money there, therefore it's her money you just took.
Couldn't you have just asked her for the money instead?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Fagotto said:
I wouldn't take it because it's not my money. Whether you believe in it or not, it was her money to decide what to do with.
She gave the money to Buddha. And the same way I might give money to the magical elf that lives on the street corner by dropping it on the ground and someone might walk along and pick it up because they don't believe in my magical elf that lives on the street corner, there's nothing morally wrong with taking it.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
If you can live with yourself/the consequences for doing it, then you know what you should do? Whatever the hell you want! I think it's perfectly fine, if you can live with it. Personally, I wouldn't have, because I would have gotten caught.