Talented teenage Korean Overwatch player accused of hacking, two pro's quit when she's proved legit.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
So, Gegory is an incredibly talented 17 year old girl who's gained attention for being pretty unstoppable with Zarya, so much so she was accused of hacking, with two professional players stating they would quit if she wan't hacking.

Blizzard korea cleared her, and presented her doing a livestream where she showed off her skills.

Both players quit as promissed, though apparently one felt the need to throw in a death threat, so was hardly gracious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4ozx0o/1_zariya_player_hackusation_cleared_by_blizzard/
http://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/top-zarya-player-forced-to-prove-shes-not-an-overwatch-cheat
http://www.pcgamer.com/teenage-overwatch-player-accused-of-cheating-proves-shes-just-that-good-with-zarya/

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Korean death threats are all bark and no bite. It has been for more than a decade - predating social media and etc.

Moving on, at least there is honor for those two. Because if they didn't, there are people who will make sure those two stay out.

Props to 게구리 - in the game where gender or physical strength is irrelevant, such people are bound to show up. It was only a matter of time...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Stuff like this really makes you wonder if people will ever learn. Far too often it's like organized stupidity disguised as higher intelligence.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Jesus. Watched a few of those matches, and yeah, speaking as someone who plays a lot of Zarya, the kid is fucking terrifying.

Funny thing is though, I can't tell exactly what she's doing to be so good. Zarya's a tank/brawler kind of character, so it's not like watching a pro sniper player who can get a headshot with every shot. She just seems to track targets really well and always be in the right place with a shield handy.

I wish I understood Korean. Curious to know what they're saying.

Shame someone had to go and embarrass themselves with internet death threats. Because those always improve a situation.

By the way, what's with the paper mask? Is that a Korean pro gaming scene... thing?

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Zhukov said:
By the way, what's with the paper mask? Is that a Korean pro gaming scene... thing?
As a person who watches national and international pro games... never seen it.
I would hazard to guess that it is to prevent usual comment like "that ugly b**** play like s*** go die" online and in real life.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
So is the game imbalanced if more players learn to play this character right, or does this player have super talent?

Minus the death threats, quitting in itself seems pretty reasonable, if you play not for enjoyment, but purely for the competition (pro gamer) and the playing field doesn't appear to be level. Maybe those two should stick to old games that received their balance fixes over time and not immediately jump into new competitive games.

Vinsin

Aug 12, 2011
veloper said:
So is the game imbalanced if more players learn to play this character right, or does this player have super talent?

Minus the death threats, quitting in itself seems pretty reasonable, if you play not for enjoyment, but purely for the competition (pro gamer) and the playing field doesn't appear to be level. Maybe those two should stick to old games that received their balance fixes over time and not immediately jump into new competitive games.
The game in my experience is really well balanced, I'm sure you'll find people who call x imbalanced - whatever x is. But at the end of the day, this would be a skill thing; the easiest example being widowmaker - she's essentially a CSGO player with a Scout and a backup weak SMG, if she can get a headshot with the sniper (which has a pause between charges) on anything but a tank, it dies effectively. But of course, she's squishy. If you can track really fast and preform back to back headshots especially while having spacial awareness and relocating quickly, she's overpowered. Until you consider there are counters for her, alot of her power has to do with map control, and there are characters you can switch to in the middle of any game if she's giving the team trouble, to pretty much shut her out. Provided.. heres the kicker.. the person trying to shut out the 'epic' widowmaker is near the same skill level.

The same could be said for Zarya, a counter at the same or close to same skill level should be able to limit her ability. But easily the most of it, has to do with overall teamwork. No one person can win a match really, it's a team effort; Zarya alone can't defeat a whole team aimed at her.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Zhukov said:
She just wanted to hide her identity to avoid unwanted attention. The accusations have put her under a lot of stress.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
That's both really sad, and really awesome. Super happy to hear a 17-year-old girl is legitimately dominating a highly-competitive FPS game, but damn is it pathetic that the people who recanted their accusations were not even NOT humble and apologetic, but were still petty and vindictive.

Well done, lass - please don't show up in my pubs though, I still want a chance of success.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Good grief, why be so childish about the whole affair. So you got your ass whooped. You had some perhaps plausible suspicions which where at first unprovable and later proven wrong. Sending death threaths over it or promising to quit if you are wrong are both very dumb and very malicious. In fact, I'd be pretty damn careful about accusing people of cheating just because they win. That is already pretty sad in itself. It's good that these people went to seek another hobby. This sort of behaviour isn't healthy. Not for themselves and even less so for others.

As for her only being 17 years old, I was under the impression that the people with the reflexes, focus, situational awareness and aim to be toplevel shooter players are all around that age, maybe slightly older but only by a couple of years.

Windknight said:
Zhukov said:
She just wanted to hide her identity to avoid unwanted attention. The accusations have put her under a lot of stress.
Understandably so. I wouldn't want the masses of the internet to know who I am. Large groups of them are the sort of people who accuse you of cheating because they lose a match of overwatch and then send death threaths when they are proven wrong.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I never understood the competitive people who would argue hacking instead of aspire to be that good themselves. I guess fighters which don't run on pc for competition wouldn't have such issues which is why I never ran into it.

Also good for blizzard, facilitating her proof like this was awesome of them and I can't say I wouod expect most companies to care.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
MeatMachine said:
That's both really sad, and really awesome. Super happy to hear a 17-year-old girl is legitimately dominating a highly-competitive FPS game, but damn is it pathetic that the people who recanted their accusations were not even NOT humble and apologetic, but were still petty and vindictive.

Well done, lass - please don't show up in my pubs though, I still want a chance of success.
They quit didnt they? Its the equivalent of you accusing a coworker of stealing, and saying you'll quit your job if they aren't. Screw being apologetic, that took balls of steel to actually keep their word.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
How fragile do you need to be, that a 17 year old reduces you to death threats? That's a big, "Down the road, not across the street; make it count" moment.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh me oh my, someone seems to have come down with a bad case of butthurt.

Guh. Online gaming is still clogged up with assholes.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Death threats? Against a 17-year-old girl? Seriously?

I wouldn't shed a tear if that guy's teeth were kicked in.
Disco Biscuit said:
How fragile do you need to be, that a 17 year old reduces you to death threats? That's a big, "Down the road, not across the street; make it count" moment.
Do neither of you see how this could be just the least bit hypocritical?

OT: I can certainly see where the accusations came from. Being able to keep Zyara's beam on target that well is a top 0.01% level skill and something that could look fishy when combined with the frustration of defeat.

That said those other two players should have kept their mouths shut and quietly reported this to Blizzard instead of making grandiose "I'll eat my hat" declarations. Those tend to indicated a overabundance of confidence in one's own correctness and often backfire spectacularly like they did here.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
MeatMachine said:

They quit didnt they? Its the equivalent of you accusing a coworker of stealing, and saying you'll quit your job if they aren't. Screw being apologetic, that took balls of steel to actually keep their word.
I guess it'd be closer to seeing a teenager have ludicrously high test scores well beyond what even incredibly smart people have, and saying you'll quit your study if they turn out to be factual. She was accused of faking skill, which is arguably much more dishonorable than mere theft.

But yes, actually sticking to their word after making such a big show of it shows character (even if they have other shitty qualities that led to this to begin with).

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Thinking she was hacking is one thing, making it public, making a dumb bet, cause a 17 old to feel horrible, and ending with a death threat is anothor.

Fuck these babys.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Shouldn't they impale themselves on their swords or something?