Tattoos and Peircings

Hollyosaur

Aug 21, 2010
Hello there :) Having just joined I thought I should have a stab at making a new thread and I apologise if this thread has been done before (most likely) and even more so if it has been done recently.

I thought I'd start with something that a lot of people either have or want and something that I love myself; tattoos and peircings.

So, I'll start. I have a number of ear peircings including scaffold, tragus, helix and a random one in the middle of my ear that I decided would look good. I have a nose ring in the left nostril and really, really want my tongue done at least twice and my lip done. :)

Tattoo wise, I have two bright, bold colourful magpies (one on each forearm) because of the rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for joy". I'm quite superstitious.

My question is, who here has tattoos or peircings that they love or who simply have an idea of what they would like to get or are going to be getting soon?

:D

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I've not gotten any tatoos yet. I got 3 criteria:
Has to be concealable (ie. not on face, neck or hands)
Has to be something that I can't stop liking, so I won't regret it at any time (ie. not band or movie related, not some teenage faux rebellious thing like a barcode)
Has to have some personal meaning behind it (ie. not just "thought it looked nice", not something generic)

The one idea that I have thought about which I am genuinely considering was a map of the world on my back, with the countries that I had visited coloured in. Thats the only thing so far that has fulfilled the three criteria.

On the other hand, I had a friend who was planning on getting one, but when they discussed it with their neighbor, a holocaust survivor, they immediately didn't want one any more. The neighbor told them that when they were in the camps, they were forced to get tattoos of their number. They now find the idea of people doing that to themselves out of choice highly distasteful. The fact that some people feel that way about tattoos really puts me off getting one.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I've been kicking around the idea of a tattoo for a good while now. If I still want it at Christmas, I'll go in for a price check. If I still want it on Pi Day, I'll go for it.

FargoDog said:
I don't plan on getting tons though, maybe two at most.
Same here.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I don't have any (either piercings or tattoo's), and I'm certainly not going to get any.

Not that I have anything against piercings or tattoo's, it's just that I really prefer simplistic stuff. So that I don't have to bother much about things. So I only wear one kind of suit and shirt to work. And only in one colour (blue). It means I don't have to decide every morning what to wear :p

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
In my honest opinion tattoos and piercings almost always just make men look like pricks and women creepy or overly butch.
That said, if you want one, go right ahead. Not going to stop you. (Unless you're my unborn child, in which case NO.)

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Not my thing really. No piercings or tattoos so far, and it's doubtful I'll ever get any. I'm probably too much of a wuss to have any done anyway.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I don't think I could ever get a tattoo. I lack the commitment and the confidence that I could like it for the rest of my life.

Nor could I ever get a piercing. Piercings look quite unattractive to me, and also uncomfortable.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I've got a tat on my right arm from the front cover of Metallica's ...And justice for all. Only the name of the band and the '...and justice' bit are not on it. Have it a few years now and don't regret it for one moment. I am still thinking about getting one on my left arm too.
I don't have any piercings and don't plan on getting one either.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Nothing against either as long as a girl doesn't get a piercing in the tongue. Had a gf with one and it was like kissing her and working on my truck at the same time.

silentrob77

Sep 29, 2009
I have three currently.
I enjoy them but I always get stuff thats means something or reminds me of good times in my life.

I'm not into peircings at all.

But hey if you think its right for you go for it!

Hollyosaur

Aug 21, 2010
the Dept of Science said:
I've not gotten any tatoos yet. I got 3 criteria:
Has to be concealable (ie. not on face, neck or hands)
Has to be something that I can't stop liking, so I won't regret it at any time (ie. not band or movie related, not some teenage faux rebellious thing like a barcode)
Has to have some personal meaning behind it (ie. not just "thought it looked nice", not something generic)

The one idea that I have thought about which I am genuinely considering was a map of the world on my back, with the countries that I had visited coloured in. Thats the only thing so far that has fulfilled the three criteria.

On the other hand, I had a friend who was planning on getting one, but when they discussed it with their neighbor, a holocaust survivor, they immediately didn't want one any more. The neighbor told them that when they were in the camps, they were forced to get tattoos of their number. They now find the idea of people doing that to themselves out of choice highly distasteful. The fact that some people feel that way about tattoos really puts me off getting one.
I agree with the personal meaning thing. My tattoos mean a lot to me and signify a change in my general outlook on life. Some of my friends that have tattoos just got them because. I spent a year planning and designing my tattoo and then left it for 6 months. If I didn't like the design in 6 months, I wasn't going to like the tattoo for life.

But I don't regret them at all. In fact, I feel a little bit more complete :)

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Piercings I shall NEVER get.

Tattoos, on the other hand I might get one. Not now, I'm just a 17-year-old broke student.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Piercings are probably easier to hide, and you can always take them out or let them grow over. Tattoos, though, a bit more difficult. That being said, I don't think I'd get a piercing for the sake of it, I just don't see the appeal.

But I like the idea of a tattoo. I've got a few years until I can get it done legally, so I can take my time to decide whether or not I really want to do it. It's not something I'd like to regret.

The_Joy

Jul 31, 2010
I have a double piercing in my left ear (Two rings about half an inch apart), and in all honesty that is the only piercing I've only ever really wanted. I do want to get a small tattoo one day, which I'm planning to be a quote that has inspired me.

Welcome to the Escapist by the way :) I'm also a new poster, but very long time lurker/viewer!