Teacher orders kindergarteners to beat up class "bully"

Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, I wish that was a case of "shocking headline, where the story within is much less controversial", but nope, that is pretty much the story. http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/06/18/texas-teacher-ordered-kids-to-hit-bully-school-says/?icid=maing-grid7|aim|dl3|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D170714

All I can say is, that teacher deserves to lose more than just her job. There has to be some kind of law against that.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
The police report alleges that the teacher chose to show the child "why bullying is bad" by instructing his peers to "Hit him!" and "Hit him harder!" It also states that the second teacher intervened only after one of the children hit the boy hard on his upper back.
If she really wanted to teach the kids a lesson about bullying and how it's dealt with in the real world, she just would have ignored the kids and let the bully beat them up with no consequences.[footnote]/s but kinda not[/footnote]

But this is ridiculous, this was definitely the wrong way to do it. What's even worse is reading the comments:
I was the victim of many bullies as a Child and I can honestly say the scar's Never go away. We must do everything in our Power to stop Bullying. I applaud the actions of the school staff and Pray this Bully has learned his lesson !!! If not, There is a Whole lot of us that will be happy help next time !!!!
Yes, because a mob of kids beating one kid up with the permission of the teacher isn't going to leave scars for that kid

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
The hardest thing in the world when being a teacher is not to smack some children in the face.

Seriously. I speak from experience.

I never did, and shame on anyone who promotes it (even hitting by other children), but, shit, some children deserve it. Some children are just evil. I had a sociopathic child that I spent hours with every day and the parents would not realise or admit it to themselves.

The kid probably is a bully, but this was handled completley wrong. Many people think they want to be teachers and will be able to handle it, but it's incredibly hard, especially the younger years. Teachers do need more hands-on experience before being put infront of a classroom full of children and need to learn to put their own issues concerning bullies aside when dealing with problems.

Again - hardest thing about being a teacher is not the teaching... it's putting aside your own self and dealing with problems as you're supposed to, not how you want to or think you should.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I was pretty shocked until I read the headline... "Texas teacher"... now I'm only shocked the teacher didn't shoot the kid outright.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Well I was pretty shocked until I read the headline... "Texas teacher"... now I'm only shocked the teacher didn't shoot the kid outright.
Oh hey, three posts until we got an ignorant one like this. Record.
You do realize it's illegal to take all or any kind of weapon onto school grounds unless you're a cop? We have detention and suspension here for discipline. You know, like any other American school.
And San Antonio is a super nice place. I'm surprised this happened there.

OT: I see the thought process, but it's more than a little extreme. She's promoting a very dangerous message to those kids.
Though I doubt that kid is ever gonna bully anyone else again.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
If the kid was a bully then he deserved it and I see nothing wrong here. Bullies will only stop when they realized there are consequences and I think this kid just learned to stop.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
If the kid was a bully then he deserved it and I see nothing wrong here. Bullies will only stop when they realized there are consequences and I think this kid just learned to stop.
So you think Kids should learn that violence solves their problems, and that vicious retaliation is acceptable?

Seriously, how can you even think that this would teach a bully a lesson, most of them have problems and can be quite angry kids, hitting them isn't going to solve anything, not that they should hit them even if it would solve anything.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I can empathise with the people who think that this is okay, but I really don't think so. Its sending a bad message to all those involved, even the bully- chances are he'll assume that it isn't his fault, as kids of that age are likely to do, and will make him dislike the other kids and teachers. It may even have no effect on his bullying.
Tell the kid off, punish him, just make sure that it comes from a source of authority. If it doesn't work then he'll learn the hard way when he goes out into the world.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
HAAAAAHAHAHAHA! I hope there's video, please tell me he cried.

Okay, maybe I'm not that heartless, but I have no pity for bullies who get what's coming to 'em, no matter how it happens. As for the other kids getting a bad lesson? Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with making sure people don't mess with you, but I realise I'm hardly a model of a balanced human being.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
If he actually was a bully, he had it coming. Although the acting of the teacher might be a bit iffy, cant really say i feel any sympathy for the bully in question.

If this wouldn't have happened, he either would have continued or they would have "talked" to him, saying something like; "oh don't bully, it is not nice". Kid would have said yes to all that and continued anyway.

Bottom line, bullies usually don't get punished through "proper" channels. This time he got what was coming for him.

Oh, and why is it ALWAYS when a bully gets his ass kicked out of him he was not a problem child and a sweet lil angel. Always, no exceptions.

Last point; Bully gets hit by class mates, media coverage. The ones who get bullied need to off themselves before the media even looks their way.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Cheery Lunatic said:
Mr.K. said:
Oh hey, three posts until we got an ignorant one like this. Record.
Record? Hell, I've seen that post as the first post, even in the original post.

OP: This is pretty cut and dry in regards to the bully and the teacher, my only problem is that the parent of the bully seems to be on a campaign to ensure that teacher never gets hired again. I'm pretty sure that parent should be concerned with her fucking kid before she should be concerned with some messed up teacher. Pretty sure the teacher's reputation will follow her without needing any help.

As for anyone who says that bullies can only be stopped by being bullied, shame on you. Revenge solves nothing, and you can't fix hate and intolerance with more hate and intolerance.

Nov 28, 2007
To all the people who are saying that the kid deserved what he got for being a bully, I want to point out that you are advocating the beating of a six year old kid. If you think him being a bully excuses that, I can't convince you otherwise, but I feel it needs to be pointed out.

Also, he received 24 injuries. That's a bit overdone.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Torrasque said:
As for anyone who says that bullies can only be stopped by being bullied, shame on you. Revenge solves nothing, and you can't fix hate and intolerance with more hate and intolerance.
I was getting worried that nobody else here was going to say something on this note, thank you sir.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Midgeamoo said:
Torrasque said:
I was getting worried that nobody else here was going to say something on this note, thank you sir.
You are certainly welcome sir. I'm somewhat surprised that Frappe didn't get in here and say it first, lol.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I can't exactly bring myself to feel sympathy for the bully, but this is kind of horribly wrong. It's trying to show him bullying is bad... by bullying him?

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Torrasque said:

Bullies gain amusement and respect form the tyranny they can force upon others. If they can do this for free indefinitely they will. In my experience the only thing that will grant the victim security is by establishing that violence will be met by violence.

OT: I don't think this is the best way of handling it, the teacher may be hard pressed to be certain about what's going on and I'd hate to think what might happen if the individual in question turned out to be innocent.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
In Soviet Texas, victim hits bully!

Seriously, it's Texas. Theres not much that can surprise me when it comes to that state.

Torrasque said:
OP: This is pretty cut and dry in regards to the bully and the teacher, my only problem is that the parent of the bully seems to be on a campaign to ensure that teacher never gets hired again. I'm pretty sure that parent should be concerned with her fucking kid before she should be concerned with some messed up teacher. Pretty sure the teacher's reputation will follow her without needing any help.
Do you really think it's that unreasonable?

Children having their own little fights is something of a norm, what this teacher did is not.

Besides, I'm sure the parents are intelligent enough to lecture their kid and get the teacher fired at the same time. They are human, I assume, so they should be able to manage it. (Although it is Texas, so you never know for sure...)
What I imagine, is the parent goes "what?! SOME TEACHER HURT MY LITTLE SPECIAL SCHNOOKY POOKY?!?!? MY SPECIAL LITTLE GUY?!?! RRRRRRRRAAAAAGE!!!!!!" and they enter an enraged state and go seeking the teacher's blood, literally.

In my experience, more parents will assume their child is blameless and blame the teacher/etc., than blame their own kids for being stupid.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Istvan said:
Torrasque said:

Bullies gain amusement and respect form the tyranny they can force upon others. If they can do this for free indefinitely they will. In my experience the only thing that will grant the victim security is by establishing that violence will be met by violence.
Bullies gain power through the use of fear. The only way to solve bullying, is to take that fear away from them. I don't agree that meeting violence with violence, solves violence at all.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
eh...wrong or not i agree with the teacher on this one fighting back against the bully is pretty much the only way to get them to stop in the short term (later on in life ive learnt that at least some of them turn in to decent people that feel bad about the shit theyve done..but.. fat lot of good that does you as a victim at time)if nothing else a one time free shot at the bully may have given a victim or two the confidence to stand up for them selves next time