Team Fortress 2 and snipers

IRaithI

Mar 10, 2010
So Valve made a dick move here with the new gear. A full kit that prevents you being killed by a headshot and a sniper that kills with just one body shot (but you cant get a headshot with it) and it takes less time for it to charge up a shot. So basicaly you can kill a heavy with just one charged body shot.

Whoever thought all of this would be a good idea should be burned alive because now scrub snipers are made into descent ones because they dont have to aim for the head to get a kill nore do they have to worry about getting killed by a headshot. Great...

So what do you guys think?

delet

Nov 2, 2008
"Wah, bodyshots are for noobs! Snipers should only headshot!"

A kill is a kill. Find ways to avoid them, adapt and fight back, or stop playin'.

Jun 26, 2009
Well, going with the realism argument (I know that TF2 isn't supposed to be realistic but stay with me a bit), a bodyshot would take someone out or at least out of the battle and a few battles after that.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
IRaithI said:
Whoever thought all of this would be a good idea should be burned alive because now scrub snipers are made into descent[sic] ones...
Oh noooooooooo, Valve is trying to bridge the skll gap between great players and players who aren't so great.

Headshots were only necessary for anything more durable than a medic. Bodyshots from the regular sniper could OHKO medics and weaker classes too. Besides, the sniper is supposed to be a support class, the jarate effect exists to support his team.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
Wtf are you talking about.
The new rifle does not kill with one body shot. Even the normal rifle would not kill a heavy with a body shot.

IRaithI

Mar 10, 2010
Aby_Z said:

A kill is a kill. Find ways to avoid them, adapt and fight back, or stop playin'.
Your opinion my good man. Valve are just impowering the weak imo.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
IRaithI said:
Aby_Z said:

Your opinion, my good man. Valve are just leveling the field imo.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I think you've got the stats a bit wrong there...

It's impossible to bodyshot a Heavy at full health with any of the Sniper's primary weapons, the new Sydney Sleeper included. The Sleeper does the exact same base damage as the Sniper Rifle and its charge time is the same as well. The difference is that, while the Sleeper can't score headshots, it coats enemies with jarate if it's charged at 50% or higher.

I find the Sleeper to be a downgrade, personally. It's much more efficient to simply score headshot kills with the Sniper Rifle then coat them with jarate and hope you or your teammates can hit them a second time. Sure you can bodyshot low health classes, but you might as well use the Sniper Rifle for that. While the kit does increase the Sniper's survivability, it comes at the cost of killing efficiency.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
IRaithI said:
So Valve made a dick move here with the new gear. A full kit that prevents you being killed by a headshot and a sniper that kills with just one body shot (but you cant get a headshot with it) and it takes less time for it to charge up a shot. So basicaly you can kill a heavy with just one charged body shot.
Woah woah, what? Which rifle are we talking about here? Not the Sydney Sleeper right, because that doesn't any more damage than the regular rifle, it just applies Jarate. And I'm not quite sure it takes less time to charge up either.

Soooo what are you talking about here?

And if you are talking about that rifle, I must say that I certainly see it's appeal. I love to use it when headshots are very hard to get (like when it's just too busy and too many people especially of your own team are running around) and it makes the Sniper even more of a teamplayer (even though a good Sniper already is a really good teamplayer), especially the ones that aren't that good of a shot.

It takes quite a bit of practice with the regular rifle to be a really good asset to your team. This rifle makes sure that even relatively low-skilled Snipers are quite useful. That's a pretty good thing.

But I must admit that it seems a bit silly, as it's not very likely that a new player has this weapon.
Aby_Z said:

I must admit, I'm a headshot purist, but mainly for aesthetic purposes. There's a certain beauty in needing just one bullet clean through the head to shoot a fast-moving target at great distance.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Aby_Z said:

I must admit, I'm a headshot purist, but mainly for aesthetic purposes. There's a certain beauty in needing just one bullet clean through the head to shoot a fast-moving target at great distance.
But of course. Whenever I'm playin' Snipah, I make a point to aim for the head every time. Still, a kill is a kill.

IRaithI

Mar 10, 2010
Aby_Z said:
IRaithI said:
Aby_Z said:

There's leveling the field and then there's giving "noobs" more power to annoy.

You could be right though. Again just an opinion.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
IRaithI said:
Aby_Z said:
IRaithI said:
Aby_Z said:

So get over it and adapt so you can destroy them noobs. If they truly have no skill, it shouldn't have all that difficult, now should it?

And seriously, if that's the only way you can back up your argument, you've got no argument to back up. "It's my opinion" is simply infuriating as far as 'arguments' go.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
yoyostringrs said:
Daffy F said:
yoyostringrs said:
A fully charged piss rifle shot won't kill a heavy, hell it won't even kill an engie
Read the OP
IRaithI said:
So basicaly you can kill a heavy with just one charged body shot.
I am saying the OP is wrong
He is, and imo the new rifle is completely pointless, like a regular rifle except it can't headshot, which is a huge disability.
And if an enemy sniper is wearing the new kit, simple, just bodyshot.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Aby_Z said:
But of course. Whenever I'm playin' Snipah, I make a point to aim for the head every time. Still, a kill is a kill.
It is, but it just doesn't....feel right. I don't get that little mental cheer out of it that I'm so addicted to. And in Sniper duels I feel downright ashamed when I kill a Sniper with a bodyshot. It makes me feel all dirty...
IRaithI said:

You say annoy, but as I said before, I say being helpful to the team. Someone who likes to play Sniper but isn't that good of an aim isn't that much of an asset. Give the guy/gal a Sydney Sleeper and voila; he's pretty damn useful.

It's also a lot more useful on medium range and in the midst of the fray. I just can't stand the Huntsman, which is also meant for being used like that, and I much prefer using the Sydney Sleeper in that situation.

That is, only when I'm playing too crappy to use the regular rifle in close range. I just love headshotting Pyro's when they're only like 3 meters away.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
So, wait, there is gear now that prevents a sniper from being ever killed with headshots? Like ever?

So, they're basically rendering sniper duels superfluous?

Now that sounds like the most horrible thing ever.

Jun 11, 2008
IRaithI said:

Whoever thought all of this would be a good idea should be burned alive because now scrub snipers are made into descent ones because they dont have to aim for the head to get a kill nore do they have to worry about getting killed by a headshot. Great...

So what do you guys think?
A fully charge shot does not kill all classes only soft classes.

LatinGeek

Oct 17, 2010
The new sniper rifle has the same charge, and the same damage. 150 HP, and the application of jarate.
Plus, there were already a bunch of snipers that knew that bodyshots are enough damage to kill half the classes. Only now they can actually help their team making everyone deal the enemy minicrits, minus the self killing.

So now you got teamworking snipers instead of douchebags who spend the round trying to get a headshot on an enemy sniper on the other battlement.

And you have to remember that to be unable to get headshotted you have to wear the full set: Give up your secondary weapon for a shield that gives you +25 hp, give up bleed/high powered swings for a "minicrit means crit" thingy on the melee, and BE UNABLE TO HEADSHOT YOURSELF.