Team Fortress 2 Gamers Raise $300,000 For Japan

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

I cared, I donated. If you think I got the hat for it's look, do you know how obvious it makes you to snipers?
I was wondering about that... I mean, from head-on, it looks like a big yellow exclamation point...

Still, kudos to you.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Wow, well done. I would donate myself if I had money period. Or played TF2. Or spent money on in-game accessories. Bah.

Feb 13, 2008
PixelKing said:
$99:99? Really? It is for a great cause but you think the average guy can throw that kind of cash around?
This "average guy" threw a weeks pay to get it. How much did the rest of the nay-sayers give to Japan?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Ickorus said:
Thing I don't get is that Valve do this which is effectively having other people donate money and get a little reward for it so Valve aren't really spending anything yet a little company does a facebook thing to raise some awareness for themselves whilst donating money out of their own pocket and they get slammed for it, where is the fairness in that?

Not saying Valve did a bad thing but still annoys me.
I don't get why people assume Valve didn't donate anything themselves. I imagine most of them did, since they cared enough about the situation in Japan to do this. They just don't needlessly flaunt the fact that they've donated.
I don't know if they donated out of their own pocket or not but that's beside the point, why should a little company get in shit for earning publicity whilst donating money when a big company can get off scot free for doing near enough the same thing?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Jacob Iott said:
"i think this shows how much TF2 fanboys love useless in-game accessories, not how much they care about dying children in japan"

I've never bought a hat from TF2 before because I thought it was a waste of potential college tuition, but I decided to buy some of these just because it was a charity.
If just click the
Button at the end of the tab once(Sometimes twice if it doesn't show up) it'll put it in your post otherwise(Like I almost did.) some people might think your saying what your quoting.

For things I guess you can only buy once for each they should of done maybe a $50 Hat too seems a steep jump from $19.99 to $99.99.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
never thought i would spend more thank 3 bucks in the mann co store. At least i feel like i helped someone,
also for people who say everyone bought it for the hats, the first one is a reskin of the homefront hat, but made all class, second one is okay but looks weird, and the $100 one as root of all evil pointed out is a giant sniper target.

If anyone paid because of the hats and didnt care about japan, they would have bought a couple of the Australian christmas hats in the store instead

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
PixelKing said:
$99:99? Really? It is for a great cause but you think the average guy can throw that kind of cash around?
This "average guy" threw a weeks pay to get it. How much did the rest of the nay-sayers give to Japan?
Actually I donated through Riot Games so I'm ok with not buying a hat.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
The truth is people did it for the hats. Are they bad? No. Valve tricked them (in a fashion) into buying the hats. It's win-win. People get cool hats and get to say they did good, and Japan gets (at least) £300,000 dollars in foreign aid JUST from a gaming company.

Major props to Valve for the idea, and props to the gamers for buying them.

Feb 13, 2008
Skizle said:
PixelKing said:
And that's equally cool. But if people are trying to say that people who donated to the British Legion just did it for the poppy, then there's something very wrong with them.

Especially if they didn't donate to the Tsunami fund.

KaiRai said:
The truth is people did it for the hats.
The truth is that people did it for their own reasons. If you honestly think that 3000+ people bought a hat (Which they could have got 10 other hats for), then I'd really look at how you see the world.

Kenny Doyle

Jun 4, 2008
teh_Canape said:
Azaraxzealot said:
i think this shows how much TF2 fanboys love useless in-game accessories, not how much they care about dying children in japan
in case it's not sarcasm, do you seriously think they all did it for the hats?

Yes, yes they did because that's how obsessed people can be about a game. And they're also a bit late; Japan has already pretty much recovered from those events aside from the ones that lost loved ones. They didn't need any help, nor did they ask for it.

It'd only be in a good state if you were already willing to give that much to charity in the first place and also just happen to play TF2, so you might as well get a free hat with it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
"Already pretty much recovered?"

Criticizing the purchase of virtual items is one thing, but trying to justify the idea by saying that Japan neither needs nor wants the money?

Obvious troll is obvious.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Kenny Doyle said:
teh_Canape said:
Azaraxzealot said:
i think this shows how much TF2 fanboys love useless in-game accessories, not how much they care about dying children in japan
in case it's not sarcasm, do you seriously think they all did it for the hats?

Yes, yes they did because that's how obsessed people can be about a game. And they're also a bit late; Japan has already pretty much recovered from those events aside from the ones that lost loved ones. They didn't need any help, nor did they ask for it.

It'd only be in a good state if you were already willing to give that much to charity in the first place and also just happen to play TF2, so you might as well get a free hat with it.
you do know that TF2 fund raising started the second day of the crisis in Japan, right?

they're just showing how much they got

and not all gamers are selfish idiots

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
For me, it was more of a settlement.

I've never been big on donating to things, being a cheap schmuck. (I don't have a lot of money either) If I really want to think about it, donating just for a hat doesn't help that image.

But I do feel good for donating nonetheless. I get a warm feeling that I'm part of that $300,000 total. Make a difference for a hat. In a perfect world everyone would donate from the heart. We don't. Oh well, I like my hat and it's going to a good cause and not the Gabe Newell Pool of Money fund.

norender

Aug 19, 2010
See, some games are nice, and actually care about other people and projects. Only if we can get more Devs. like that.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Skizle said:
PixelKing said:
You got the Akali skin too?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
sanzo said:
Skizle said:
PixelKing said:
You got the Akali skin too?
Yea had surgeon Shen so i figured i might as well pick this one up too and support a good cause.