Team Fortress 2 - out of date now?

Dedae

Jan 24, 2010
TF2 is still one of the best online fps experiences you can get. Online shooters really don't change much which is why even when newer games come out, people play them for awhile and still go back to what they love (Halo, CS:S, TF2, Tribes, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, ect...)

The differences between Counter Strike, Modern Warfare, Quake 2, Halo are all on the surface, fundamentally they are all the same thing.

So until something happens that sets a new standard for online games, people will still play and buy Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, ect...

captvimes

Mar 31, 2009
When people stop complaining and caring, thats when it will be dead. Valve listen to what people say on the forums and do sometimes act upon it so for that very reason people complain and whine constantly about every aspect of the game if they feel in inconveniences them in any way and any updates are usually first in their cross-hairs. After all the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Counterstrike still has more players than TF2 I think, I am sure they would love to be getting updates to complain about. MW2 isnt even worth mentioning in the same breath as TF2 I would say left4dead2 has had more of an impact.

They release portal 2 and people complain its not HL ep3. The nature of people.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I'd say Team Fortress 2 is still going strong. That game just never gets old to me.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I think it's a rare game that'll never become outdated as no other game has quite the same dynamic

Apr 28, 2008
The Team Fortress 2 User group here is one of the most active.

And just coming from a Team Fortress 2 game, there were about 500 servers. About half had at least 20 people on. Do the math. And yes I'm generalizing, but if you want to finger through all the servers and get exact numbers, be my guest.

If its out of date, no one knows or gives a shit. Its still amazing, and a hell of a lot more balanced and fun than most shooters these days.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Absolutely... [HEADING=2]....NOT![/HEADING]

TF2 is still going strong. There are thousands of people playing it, and as long as the community stays, it won't die out. Valve has even acknowledged this since they are releasing several updates on weapons and gear.

Plus, you can't compare it to Modern Warfare, because although Modern Warfare is a single-player game that has a multiplayer mode, TF2 is a purely multiplayer game. That, and MW doesn't feature as much originality and style that TF2 has.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
captvimes said:
When people stop complaining and caring, thats when it will be dead. Valve listen to what people say on the forums and do sometimes act upon it so for that very reason people complain and whine constantly about every aspect of the game if they feel in inconveniences them in any way and any updates are usually first in their cross-hairs. After all the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Counterstrike still has more players than TF2 I think, I am sure they would love to be getting updates to complain about. MW2 isnt even worth mentioning in the same breath as TF2 I would say left4dead2 has had more of an impact.

They release portal 2 and people complain its not HL ep3. The nature of people.
thats because a portal to wasn't really expected yes the fans were calling for it but it wasn't really needed to fix a story or anything like that, valve didn't leave the end of the first portal with a cliff hanger like they did with HLep2, then ignore that cliff hanger for a large number of years

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Woodsey said:
TF2 out of date?

It came out in 2007 and has an absolutely huge user-base on Steam, and it's constantly being tweaked/improved/balanced by Valve.

This is it's day.

As for CS:S, I periodically drop in and out and there's always plenty of people playing - you can mod them so far from what they are you've got a huge variety in how you want to play.
And then there's HL2DM, which is dying now, and DoD:S, which no-one has ever heard of.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Audio said:
Reading up on chat and other sites, is see lots of "complaints" about updates and how much they changed the game. Personally i feel games like Team Fortress and Counter Strike have had their day; pushed out by ModerenWarfare.
I'm enjoying the game so far but I cant help but wonder if the game is being kept alive by fans and not in demand.

Are things still going strong? and any thoughts on what to expect in coming patches?
Team Fortress 2 is an approachable and sustainable experience, all of the Call of Duty games peter out after about a year or so, most of ther player base leaving for the next installment and then the process starts anew.

If TF2 is only going because of community, that must say something for the game, but I don't think it is, Valve still activly supports this game like it came out yesterday and people play it because it's a good bit of fun and people can appreciate an atmosphere where you're all trying to have a good time, as opposed to trying to get more kills than one another.

So, in ending, good community, good game, still supported, who wouldn't play it?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Woodsey said:
TF2 out of date?

It came out in 2007 and has an absolutely huge user-base on Steam, and it's constantly being tweaked/improved/balanced by Valve.

This is it's day.

As for CS:S, I periodically drop in and out and there's always plenty of people playing - you can mod them so far from what they are you've got a huge variety in how you want to play.
And then there's HL2DM, which is dying now, and DoD:S, which no-one has ever heard of.
My friend plays DoD: S and has never had any complaints, and HL2DM was never particularly popular as far as I can remember. Especially compared to TF2.

The non-source original Counter-Strike still has loads of players, and that was released in 1999 or something.

I don't really see what your comment has to do with mine, you've just listed 2 far-less popular games.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I still think it go some more years left i mean nearly all the servers are full. It will last longer than most other online shooters, it's got more to give.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Woodsey said:
PoisonUnagi said:
Woodsey said:
TF2 out of date?

This is it's day.

My friend plays DoD: S and has never had any complaints, and HL2DM was never particularly popular as far as I can remember. Especially compared to TF2.

The non-source original Counter-Strike still has loads of players, and that was released in 1999 or something.

I don't really see what your comment has to do with mine, you've just listed 2 far-less popular games.
Well, I was just kinda elaborating... I was tired, nevermind.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE A GUEST PASS FOR DOD:S! I want that game again...

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
One thing that TF2 hasn't got going against it is another successor already on the cards ready to replace it. Valve will want to support it for some time to come. Activision will be whipping Infinity Ward into churning out another title.