Team Fortress 2, skill rating...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Eh...I just started playing yesterday (/Gets flamed for that), but it seems like I die horrifically every 10-15 seconds or so. Even if I'm a Heavy. Especially if I'm a Heavy.

What it says under 'Stats' is this:

Most Points / Play Time
17 / 1:36:13 Spy
21 / 57:28 Medic
36 / 21:25 Heavy
5 / 15:52 Demoman
3 / 12:16 Pyro
2 / 9:18 Engineer
4 / 3:43 Scout
1 / 2:13 Sniper
4 / 2:13 Soldier

I was wondering if that was very poor/average/decent? Or if you could even tell from those numbers. I can't. If there is a more accurate set of numbers to help determine skill level in the 'Stats' section, tell me and I'll put those up instead.

I was just feeling kind of self conscious about the dying horribly thing, then getting called a CoD noob when I killed two Scouts with the Medic. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THE HEAVY I WAS STALKING RAN AWAY.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Don't worry, I sucked at TF2 for the first day as well, you get better really quickly, you just have to get used to the classes, and know what they all do so you don't get sapped -> Backstabbed or such. Just play, enjoy the game, and if you can watch some videos of pro people playing, a lot of times that helps incredibly.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I'd say, considering your short amount of time played, you're doing okay. Just get the feel of some classes, figure out which suit your playstyle best and stick with it. That's what worked for me, anyway (snipers all the way).

exdeadman

Apr 4, 2011
Whether the stats are good or not depends on how long you've been playing FPSs, as well as how long you've been playing TF2 specifically. Also, less than 22 minutes total time on Heavy, 36 was your highest game score. I'm not completely sure how stat tracking works on TF2 myself but those stats sound pretty good.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Eh...I just started playing yesterday (/Gets flamed for that), but it seems like I die horrifically every 10-15 seconds or so. Even if I'm a Heavy. Especially if I'm a Heavy.
It's average I guess for a new player.

Heavy is all about positioning. Being skilled at heavy is harder than many think. I suggest Sascha, Sandvich, and GRU for your loadout.

My most points is with spy 112 points (got it playing on cp_well 24 players normal load times. Ambassador, vanilla watch & knife)

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Really doesn't matter how you're doing when it comes to TF2. The main question is: "Are you having fun?". It's not like CoD where you have a simple Kill/Death ratio which defines you as a player.

The community is pretty tolerant and anyone can play medic well so there's always that for a fallback.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It was your first day, don't sweat it. And newbies (not noobs) playing as Heavies are often easy targets. The key with the Heavy is knowing when to fight. NEVER EVER start shooting out in the open, stick to corners and choke points, and move fast across open terrain.

EradiusLore

Jun 29, 2010
sorry getting this off steam community page (Eradiuslore btw :D ) so the times are rounded unfortunatly

80 / 44hrs pyro
66 / 16hrs Heavy
193 / 12.1hrs Engineer
19 / 10.8hrs Medic
32 / 10.7hrs Spy
18 / 7.9hrs Sniper
18 / 3.7hrs Soldier
33 / 2.7hrs Demoman
12 / 1.1hrs Scout

EDIT: forgot to actually put the reply in :p yeah your doing ok, i died a lot at first, just takes practice like any game. dying tends to annoy me so i go on 'no wait' servers for instant respawn

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
jovack22 said:
Kopikatsu said:

Heavy is all about positioning. Being skilled at heavy is harder than many think. I suggest Sascha, Sandvich, and GRU for your loadout.

My most points is with spy 112 points (got it playing on cp_well 24 players normal load times. Ambassador, vanilla watch & knife)
I want the Sandvich, but I have no idea how crafting works, so I'm just waiting for it to drop...

So far, I have...uh...Tribeman's Shiv, Dead Ringer, Cloak and Dagger, The Ambassador, Powerjack, Southern Hospitality, Mantreads, Soda Popper, and the Candy Cane...

Most of them seem kinda...useless. Like Mantreads and Tribeman's Shiv. Cloak and Dagger seems like it would be useful for that one knife that disables the disguise kit, but eh.

Is there a mode where items drop more frequently? Aaaaand...

I actually managed about 200 points and 50 backstabs with a Spy, but that was in 12 rounds of Medieval Mode. (I dropped out at round 22...no idea how many rounds Medieval Mode goes on for, BUT IT WAS TOO MANY.)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The point is, are you trying to complete objectives. If the answer is yes, the your stats shouldn't matter too much.

Last night I was on blue team as a scout, Capture point. My team had 3 out of 5 caps so I solo capped the 4th 3 times, but every time I took it, my team didn't move from their entrenchment and the point was taken back. I had something like 12 deaths and 4 kills before the auto balance swapped me to the opposite team (and the team I was swapped to ended up winning because of me capping points >.>).

Feb 13, 2008
Stats really doesn't mean a thing. It's just numbers.

Rank it by how many people add you to their friends list if you have to rank it.

Personal Class Stats _

_________Time Played Max Points Max Kills Max Damage Longest Life
Engineer__196.2 hrs __18,443 _____65______ 89 ______ 34:00
Spy______130 hrs ____2,059 ______11 ______34 ______ 10:23
Pyro_____130 hrs _____2,882 _____19 _______20 _______9:59

Anyone who yells at you is an idiot unless they're at the top of the scoreboard. If you're above them, mute them :)

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Eh I've played the game for ages and my stats aren't anywhere near that so you're doing ok :)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
jovack22 said:
Kopikatsu said:

I want the Sandvich, but I have no idea how crafting works, so I'm just waiting for it to drop...

So far, I have...uh...Tribeman's Shiv, Dead Ringer, Cloak and Dagger, The Ambassador, Powerjack, Southern Hospitality, Mantreads, Soda Popper, and the Candy Cane...

Most of them seem kinda...useless. Like Mantreads and Tribeman's Shiv. Cloak and Dagger seems like it would be useful for that one knife that disables the disguise kit, but eh.

Is there a mode where items drop more frequently? Aaaaand...

I actually managed about 200 points and 50 backstabs with a Spy, but that was in 12 rounds of Medieval Mode. (I dropped out at round 22...no idea how many rounds Medieval Mode goes on for, BUT IT WAS TOO MANY.)
I might be able to hook you up with some items if you really want, might even have an extra sandvich

edit: I do

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Casimir_Effect said:
The community is pretty tolerant
You could have fooled me with all the bile that has been flying around the past couple of days, especially on the Steam forums(by Dionysus' grapevines are they negative!). It's honestly enough to make me not want to play the game, simply because the community seemingly considers anyone with a free to play account sub-human.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
The point is, are you trying to complete objectives. If the answer is yes, the your stats shouldn't matter too much.
This. TF2 is intrinsically a team game: try judging your success/failure based on your team's performance rather than your own points tally.

For example: there is a role in competitive TF2 known as the "Roaming Soldier". He typically scores 5x fewer points than his team-mates and yet is absolutely critical in deciding who wins a given match. Why? Because it's him who suicides on the opposition Medic and forces him to Uber in a sub-optimal position; it's him that protects his Scouts and Demoman who get the kills; and it's him that pressures the opponent into mistakes that the rest of his team clean up (and thus get the points for).

A great example of this would be TF2 legend Darn of team Dignitas (the most successful European TF2 team). The guy scored about 9 points in a 30 minute match (when his team's Medic scored 70+) in the grand final of a LAN and was still awarded MVP, because his contribution to the *team* extended far beyond points.

On a less serious note: if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Tank207 said:
Casimir_Effect said:
The community is pretty tolerant
You could have fooled me with all the bile that has been flying around the past couple of days, especially on the Steam forums(by Dionysus' grapevines are they negative!). It's honestly enough to make me not want to play the game, simply because the community seemingly considers anyone with a free to play account sub-human.
...Ouch. I thought you were exaggerating, so I went to go see the forum for myself.

Some people made a plug-in that automatically kicks F2P accounts from a server. Yeeaaaaah. That's a wonderful community.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
if you want to be a good tf2 player respond to your teams needs become a medic when others refuse, or stay behind and guard the intel even if its only one scout every couple of minutes trying to get it. if you do those type of things then i would be glad to have you as a team mate.

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
TF2 has been around for years so the general skill level of its players is higher than other FPS's. This means it also has a very steep learning curve. It takes months to be able to play well but it takes time. The main problem I see with new players is being too aggressive. Learn when you should jump into the battle and when to hang back.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
EVERYONE dies a thousand times their first few rounds playing TF2, I sure did... and I still do >.>'

As a Heavy, don't charge directly at your enemies, you will get killed at first sight. Hide in a decent spot or get a medic with an ubercharge and kill anyone at your hearts content, while the uber lasts.

And for everyone else, almost the same, don't charge at your enemies directly and use alternate routes as much as you can, don't use the same spot as they're already expecting you to show up. That's the most basic advise I can give you.

coolguy5678

Apr 1, 2010
Medieval mode usually ends at the same time as any other map. You were on a "24/7 server" which runs the same map non-stop. There are 24/7 servers for other maps/game modes, too (particularly 2fort, dustbowl, goldrush). Supposedly, the players on these servers are worse than the players on other ones.

Maximum points in a life is not the most useful stat, since you can just get lucky (and most players have accidentally ruined those stats in achievement servers and the like, anyway). The "Average X" stats (like Average Kills, which I believe is almost like k/d but slightly different) are more useful, but for the most part you shouldn't focus on those in TF2, anyway.

As for unlocks, do the achievements for one class to get specific unlocks for that class - if you wait, you will still get them randomly, but getting achievements is more reliable. If you go on an empty server with a friend or two, you can farm a bunch of them to get the unlocks faster (don't do this if you want to get the achievements legitimately, and suicide every so often if you don't want to ruin your stats). The Sandvich is unlocked by getting 10 Heavy achievements (out of 35, which really isn't a lot). If you go to this page in the TF2 wiki - http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Weapons - the weapons marked "Unlock" (as opposed to "Craft", "Promotional",...) can be found with achievements. Go to that weapon's page to find how many.

I wouldn't bother with crafting until you have a large stock of duplicate weapons. Crafting is mostly for players who have stocked up on duplicates before an update and want to get specific weapons from the update faster, or to get hats, and generally isn't viable for a new player as in most cases you need lots of weapons to craft a single one. The best way to get the items you want is trading, which unfortunately you can't do with a free account.

EDIT: If you want some free items, add me on Steam: "jeffreydav". I have a decent number of duplicates which would otherwise just be crafting fodder, anyway.