Team Fortress 2: The Tabletop RPG

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Team Fortress 2: The Tabletop RPG

Feel like playing Team Fortress 2 but don't have the Internet - and do have a set of pen-and-paper dice lying around? A pair of enterprising (and bored) fans have created a tabletop ruleset for Valve's multiplayer FPS.

What would you do if you were stuck at a grandparents' house and suddenly got a hankering to play a few rounds on Goldrush ... but to your dismay, found that your dear old Granny didn't own a TV, let alone a PC capable of running the game? Would you cry? Would you sulk? Would you go amuse yourself outside like generations of youth before you?

Or would you do something productive with your time, like adapting the game to a pen-and-paper ruleset?

That was the dilemma facing Steam user [TPG] Wade Wilson and his brother, he told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5306072/team-fortress-2-recreated-in-pencil-and-paper-rpg]. "So, we decided to use our imaginations for once ... to kinda go with the flow and create our own Team Fortress 2 RPG - Dungeons and Dragons style."

The game itself [http://tf2rpg.blogspot.com/] is still unfinished, of course - the creators haven't quite finished with the complete basic ruleset, let alone published guidelines for actually playing the thing. How the hell would you turn, say, a game of 2Fort into a turn-based RPG?

Well, unless you're playing as a Sniper: "You duck behind the wall. You aim at the other Sniper. Roll - you miss. He takes aim at you. Roll - he misses. You duck behind the wall..."

(An alternate headline would, of course, have been "TF2 D20 PnP RPG FTW.")

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
Hmm...If this was a PvP sort of thing, it could make spying near impossible.

Feb 13, 2008
Birras said:
Hmm...If this was a PvP sort of thing, it could make spying near impossible.
You've never had a doppleganger in your party have you?

Or have you....

I think it sounds awesome anyway, and if they want playtesters...

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Sounds interesting and Total Punishment Gamers is one of my fav clans on there. Though I don't really like messing with papers. So disorganized

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
i could be fun, but you will need some Npc's... and some story line... no?

xxjeran123xx

Jul 2, 2009
Hey, Wade Wilson here, and I wanna thank The Escapist for putting our blog on their site

If any viewer has concerns or suggestions that could make the game better, or hell, just wanna talk, feel free to email me at [email protected], send me a Friend Request on Xfire or Steam (xxjeran123xx), or go old fashion and add me on AIM (attackofapenguin).

And a note to the Author: I would hope that the Dungeon Master could think of something more creative then, "You are stuck on the battlements of 2fort across from another Sniper who is firing at you." I was thinking instead of maybe living out playing a game of CTF or whatever that the DM would think of a more broad story (who knows, maybe Sniper, Spy and Heavy or something go off and save the world?) then just your battling on 2fort. I'm sure though that if the DM was an effective story teller that you could make a 1 on Sniper battle pretty interesting. During playtesting we had a few one on one spy battles, which used mostly hand to hand combat and were pretty fun none the less...

And also, if anyone would like to try and playtest online, you can feel free to email or message me saying that and I could probably set that up with me and my cousin... Or if anyone decides to actually play the game with their friends I'd love to know how that went and any changes you thing that should be made.

Pirate Brahm

Jan 9, 2008
Hmm, would have to take a lot of creativity to be anything more than a paper and pencil deathmatch. I can see it now:

DM: You see a red soldier, what do you want to do?
PC: KILL HIM!
DM: There's a read heavy....
PC: KILL HIM!
DM: A blue sniper emerges from your spiral..
PC: It's a spy, so I KILL HIM!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
xxjeran123xx said:
And a note to the Author: I would hope that the Dungeon Master could think of something more creative then, "You are stuck on the battlements of 2fort across from another Sniper who is firing at you." I was thinking instead of maybe living out playing a game of CTF or whatever that the DM would think of a more broad story (who knows, maybe Sniper, Spy and Heavy or something go off and save the world?) then just your battling on 2fort. I'm sure though that if the DM was an effective story teller that you could make a 1 on Sniper battle pretty interesting. During playtesting we had a few one on one spy battles, which used mostly hand to hand combat and were pretty fun none the less...
Well, of course. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make fun of snipers on 2fort, now could I? :p

Best of luck!

xxjeran123xx

Jul 2, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well, of course. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make fun of snipers on 2fort, now could I? :p

Best of luck!
Yeah, my Sniper battles are usually pretty epic on 2Fort..

Wilson: Alright, Time to get some Headshots!
*Wade Wilson runs to Battlements*
*[TPG] Wade Wilson has been bodyshotted by a corner sniper with 100% charge on their Sniper Rifle*

Thats usually how about 70% of my deaths go.

And thanks alot man.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Well, this is set in the 50's, right? I could see this being a cold war thriller style thing, only with... Comedy :p

The Sniper takes out the guards near the door while the Heavy distracts the patrols. This gives the Spy enough of a window to infiltrate the guard station and open the doors/disable security so the Demoman can get in and blow up the launch silo. Oh, and if they fail, the Commie nuke launches and DESTROYS THE WORLD.

Actually, that sounds really fun :p I could see some Connery/Moore-era Bond plotlines being used to good measure... :)

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Do. Freakin'. Want.

(I know it sounds quite geekish, but it sounds like an awesome alternative)

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I have SO many Tabletop games that I still need to actually get around to playing. I guess I'll add this to the list, because it really is a great concept.