Team Fortress 2 Update???

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
I'm not sure if there's been a thread for this yet, but what in the sam hell is going on? Why are you possible able to permanently delete items? Is this some sort of twisted joke for pothead day, or are they being serious about this? Can anyone help shed some light on the situation.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Peetah1218 said:
are you talking about an update for xbox or pc?
PC, 360 isn't getting the updates for some time.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure about that whole bit either but we'll find out I guess.

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
Basically it seems the whole update is a preliminary update, the function is more for use due to the fact it looks like their promised "second way" of getting items is coming out... Guess what it is? ... Item Dropping, killing people from Items, seems to draw from levels 1 - 100.

The attributes can be seen here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720 along with the other item types (Spy Watch, Headgear)[Slots for these are now added to the Item Inventory, along with a new backpack/discard feature since you have limited space in backpack for items].

Dawn of War 2ish in setup it looks.

Kujikenaikara

Jan 13, 2009
Well, the internal memory of the Xbox 360 is the problem for TF2 on the 360. Valve is trying to tool the game to get around that and give the 360 the updates, but I believe the internal memory is about the same size as a cell phone, hence the problem.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
...Say what? Geeze tf2 seems to be drifting further away from the unique FPS i used to know into some wierd clusterfuck... Hope they do it well!

Kujikenaikara

Jan 13, 2009
Turtleboy1017 said:
...Say what? Geeze tf2 seems to be drifting further away from the unique FPS i used to know into some wierd clusterfuck... Hope they do it well!
Yeah, TF2 used up all the power a game could on the 360, and Valve either has to make the choice of cutting out certain features for the 360 version, or finding a way to sidestep the memory issues.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Next update will be for the sniper.

Anyone else foreseeing a massive drop in the number of Heavies playing?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Flying-Emu said:

That wouldn't really bother me, the heavy has always been one of the lamest classes. Though I have to say, the sniper is pretty lame too. I wish more people played fortress forever. :(

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

That wouldn't really bother me, the heavy has always been one of the lamest classes.
Not since Natascha.

Now they're really fucking irritating.

But what is this "Fortress Forever" of which you speak?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

That wouldn't really bother me, the heavy has always been one of the lamest classes.
Not since Natascha.

Fortress Forever was TF2's "competitor" if you will. It's a source mod made by a third party mod developer (free of charge) out of devotion to the original TFC. The gameplay mechanics are much truer to those of the original TFC (special grenades, class weapons/abilities), unlike TF2 which has really dumbed down the gameplay mechanics to appeal to a much wider gaming audience. That's not to say TF2 is a bad game, but it's no TFC. Fortress Forever is closer to being the true successor to TFC.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

Not since Natascha.

Fortress Forever was TF2's "competitor" if you will. It's a source mod made by a third party mod developer (free of charge) out of devotion to the original TFC. The gameplay mechanics are much truer to those of the original TFC (special grenades, class weapons/abilities), unlike TF2 which has really dumbed down the gameplay mechanics to appeal to a much wider gaming audience. That's not to say TF2 is a bad game, but it's no TFC. Fortress Forever is closer to being the true successor to TFC.
And where would I be able to demo or perhaps purchase this intriguing specimen of videogaming?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

Not since Natascha.

And where would I be able to demo or perhaps purchase this intriguing specimen of videogaming?
http://www.fortress-forever.com/
It's a free mod, the way all mods used to be. I have such a love hate relationship with steam.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
I've played Fortress Forever, It's a good game if you want to play something serious and skill has a much larger role.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

That wouldn't really bother me, the heavy has always been one of the lamest classes. Though I have to say, the sniper is pretty lame too. I wish more people played fortress forever. :(
People still play FF? Heh, I remember the huge drop in players the day TF2 was released.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Flour said:
Crash486 said:
Flying-Emu said:

People still play FF? Heh, I remember the huge drop in players the day TF2 was released.
I know it made me sad. :(

Yeah people still play. Not as many mind you, but there are still a few strong servers with very active communities. I really wish valve had taken TF2 in this direction instead of the one that they did, but whatever times are changing.

Incompl te

Dec 13, 2008
I think this interview should clear things up...

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1124

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Well I see this as a good thing, this means I can get the new weapons without having to jump through achievement hoops to earn them.

Also for most people who are worried about this "ruining" team fortress 2, you should be aware that these items just like the unlockable weapons, they are completely optional, you can choose to use them or not, they even gave you a handy delete button if you want to play the game the way it was released originally.

Though the only thing I have concerns on is the weapon level thing, how will it work, what if I take a break from playing TF2 for a while and come back to find I can't kill anyone since I still have level 1 or 2 weapons and they have level 10 or higher, I think that might throw the balancing of the game more out of whack than anything else.