Technology that made you think, "Holy crap, I'm in the future."

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Probably the current-gen systems. After seeing the graphics from the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube era, I never thought I would see anything more vibrant or anything better than that.

Then I watched my roommate play Bioshock on his 360 on an HD tv. Holy crap graphics are beautiful now.

That and the fact that every electronic device (TV, phone, computer, video game system, printer, alarm clock?) can hook up to the internet.

Jan 29, 2009
Think about a smart phone from the mind of a person of the 60's or 70's.

So what you have is a pocket sized supercomputer, with full color touch screen, a tiny electronic camera that can take in MILLIONS of pixels in a second, wireless access to a global communications network consisting of millions of computers networking together to distribute information from anywhere to anywhere, including videos and games, a global positioning system utilizing satellites that can combine with the internet to provide real time maps with your position, AND you can call people!

How the hell are we not in the future yet?

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
Forgot what its called, but a phone. With a fricking projector. It was so awesome it was on GMA. Yeah, really.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
henritje said:
any form of wireless communication (WIFI 3G phone) HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!!!! last year I got a iPhone 3GS and for the first time I can watch you tube ON THE ROAD!!!!
Please don't watch YouTube while driving. For all our sakes.

OT: We're discovering other planets! Holy crap!

http://xkcd.com/786

Rational-Delirium

Feb 24, 2009
The Roomba!

I swear, I was watching the Discovery Channel YEARS ago, and a program came up on future technology, and they were talking about a vaccume that went by itself. I go to a friend's house a few months ago and IT WAS MOVING BY ITSELF!!

Shocked.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'd say it's the 3DS. The idea of 3D imaging without the use of glasses actually becoming modern technology astounded me.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
When I discovered that I could buy canned bacon. Tac Bac is the name I think. I literally freaked out. That's like the ultimate post-apocalypse food right there.

obliviondoll

May 27, 2010
Honestly, I think I'm a little too jaded.

When 1 GB Hard drives were new and fancy, I said to a friend, "I want a 10 terabyte hard drive."

He told me they wouldn't exist in our lifetimes because even supercomputers don't have that much space. I assured him they easily would. I'm in my 20s and can buy a terabyte hard drive already.

Fibre optic cables, when I heard about them (I was 5) are the only thing I can think of. I'm still constantly surprised they're not more widely used yet. I expected that to be happening a long time ago.

I should probably move to Japan.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SD cards, easily.

A while ago I had to put some games on sister's R4 card (yay for being the techie in the house) and I just looked at that little card.

Then I looked at a floppy disc. Then back at the SD card. That little thing, barely 1 cm by 1 cm and like 1 mm thick, held 4.000 floppies...