Teen Gets Into MIT, Launches Acceptance Letter Into Space

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I can't get around that they call that "hacking" the tube. WTF? Either the tube is a computer, or else they want it chopped into pieces. Not sure how sending it to space or turning it into a flamethrower counts.

Anyway, not sure what the big deal is with MIT anyway. Once you're out of school people don't give much care to your credentials as long as enough boxes are checked (education wise). After that you gotta nail the interview, and you're as likely to get hired with a tech diploma as a degree in many cases.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'd find it hilarious if they sent her another letter saying "Your MIT acceptance is being revoked. We refuse to allow anyone who would stoop to the level of using Windows Movie Maker into our university. Couldn't you have at least got Vegas or something?".

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
That was pretty darn cool (maybe a little less impressive than the homemade rocket I'd imagined) but still pretty cool, the earth looks so pretty

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Very cool, the footage of the earth looks awesome. I wish i went to a cool university like MIT.

therealjeffa

Nov 15, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
I can't get around that they call that "hacking" the tube.
Although the term "hack" primarily refers to computers, technical institutions like MIT have used it since at least the 1960s to refer to any creative but difficult technical accomplishment or practical joke.

The fact that the word first entered mainstream use due to media coverage of computer break-ins in the 1980s biases the term even more.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
I would have turned it into a dube tube, but I guess I'm just not as creative as some.

LoneGunmanO23

Jan 20, 2010
MurderousToaster said:
I'd find it hilarious if they sent her another letter saying "Your MIT acceptance is being revoked. We refuse to allow anyone who would stoop to the level of using Windows Movie Maker into our university. Couldn't you have at least got Vegas or something?".
This is too awesome for Windows anything. My computer bluescreened the moment I clicked the video.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I'll be quite honest, I hate people like this.

They remind me how my life is so meaningless compared to theirs.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I feel so stupid :/ but not particularly useless since most people end up living for themselves anyway no matter how smart
BUT then there's still hope in humanity and smart college students for the future :p

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
So, does it make me a geek or a Paris Hilton clone when upon seeing that video my first response was: "That's hot" ?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this is very odd. a guy from lithuania did similar thing few days ago, so when i clicked on the title i was expecting an article about him, and turns out this is a totally different person. very intresting.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Welp, may as well start digging myself a grave, 'cause there's nothing I'll ever do to match this lady's massive middle finger to eternity. I mean, launching an acceptance tube into space. How could anyone hope to rival the sheer force of will to do something like this just for the sake of doing it?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
What a strange combination... she looks like she's fifteen but she's seventeen, she sounds like she's in her late twenties, and she's a hell of a lot smarter than I am.

Whatever the case, this was pretty damn impressive. I can't remember doing anything nearly this inventive when I was seventeen.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, I'm a prospective theatre major, so the idea that anyone my age is smart enough to do this kind of blows my mind. Good show, madam!

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
That was... pretty interesting, though I don't see what they're trying to accomplish. Scientists are supposed to be the most logical people generally, right? What is the point of sending some tube into space? Or doing anything with the tube at all? Just why?

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Sorry, but that isn't near space (not by a long shot). Since this is using a balloon, this is only going to travel to the ceiling of the Statosphere. That is about 1/10th the way. You still have to go through the Mesosphere (~120km, still below the minimum altitude for orbital craft), then the Thermosphere (ceiling ~600km), then you hit the exosphere, the last remenents of our atmosphere. Though it is arguable that between the lower and upper boundary that "Space" begins (between 500km-190,000km). Low orbit is considered 2,000km.
I'm guessing you don't have any friends. LOL.