Teenage Male Gamers No Longer Biggest Demographic

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
snowfi6916 said:
And I am glad there are going to be whiny male gamers crying into their soup over this.

The 21st century is here. Get on board or get out of the way.
snowfi6916 said:
The whole "we are the biggest demographic so there shouldn't be more female representation in games" etc. argument was getting old.
Your attitude is really weird snowfi, what are you trying to achieve with such manner?

Errr, more importantly, WHY ARE WE STILL OBSESSED WITH REPRESENTING FEMALES IN GAMES?

Look, the formula is very basic:

If female demographic is getting bigger, if female demographic passed the male demographic, it means women are happy with current games and current style of games. They are not here for shenanigans, they are here because they get appealed by today's games. Each year more and more females become "gamers", and we reached today's "demographic" statistics. And this means game industry are more than enough to represent females.

You are arguing over "whiny male gamers", but your behaviour is no better than your accussations. We have a clear success in demographics, yet you still whine about "not enough female representation".

Female gamers prefer more mind games and mobile platforms, while male gamers prefer more twitch games and stationary platforms, even those precious demographic charts shows this.
And this is not because "female representation" issue. This is because preference.
You will not instantly make all women as football game fans just because you put "more female representation" into football games.

warbaby2

Mar 7, 2011
bobleponge said:
Also, where are these feminists attacking every game with a female protagonist? Show them to me. I haven't seen them. Remember Me got panned because it wasn't very good. That's how equality should work. A female-led game should be able to fail just like a male-led game can (and often does).
Bayonetta... feminists hate it, although the character was created by a women.

Andrey Sirotin

Mar 17, 2012
Last of Us?
bobleponge said:
warbaby2 said:
bobleponge said:
Also, where are these feminists attacking every game with a female protagonist? Show them to me. I haven't seen them. Remember Me got panned because it wasn't very good. That's how equality should work. A female-led game should be able to fail just like a male-led game can (and often does).
Bayonetta... feminists hate it, although the character was created by a women.
Yeah, see, that's one example of some feminists critiquing a game for having problematic elements in it. The gender of the protagonist is irrelevant, games with male leads get critiqued as well. Also, being created by a woman doesn't make a game immune to criticism, even feminist criticism. That's how equality works. You people really need to learn the difference between a critique and an attack.

Any others? I thought all games with female leads were getting attacked (not critiqued). You should have a whole list of them!
I saw quite a few being critical over Last of Us' Ellie's section. Tomb Raider Reboot had its share of feminist nitpicking. And Dragon's Crown was heavily criticized by them as well. I don't think that all criticism of female portrayal is baseless, like with The other M(which was bloody awful), but I do think that feminists sometimes group fanservice with sexism.

neokiva

Jun 14, 2013
Timpossible said:
DOOM GUY said:
Timpossible said:
Women are playing videogames, yes, but they've always played videogames, they've just never been as popular with women. I used quotes when I said "real" games, 'cause, well, they're all games, it's just the "real" games are, for lack of a better term, the more hardcore games, which have much of same audience as before. Are more women playing them than before, absolutely, but when you factor in mobile games too, you'll get a much larger number than without them, and the article itself had even said "The spike in the number female gamers is likely tied to widespread smartphone adoption"

It's not a bad thing, it's just that this has very little impact on anything other than maybe mobile games.
I have to disgaree on your definition of "real" games.
And your point of "they same audiance as before" is simply not true. The average gamer is much older for example.
My pointt is: Why don't just be happy about women joining the gaming-culture. Why always insist of saying/adding: "But it's still a boys club!!" Yes. In the "biggest" gengres women are still in the minority. But it is chaning. And I for my part think it is good.

neokiva said:
can i just point out that companies will always go for the low hanging fruit, the one that makes them the most money the easiest and cheapest way. so the fear is well justified especially when you look at how ea and other companies are ripping people off in the free to play genre (too bad there are good and fair free to play games)
while women playing games is always a good thing I'd prefer it if they played the games with more than a token effort put into making them.
If you were right games like the last of us wouldn't happen. Witcher 3 would not happen. Even IF EA and Ubisoft think it would be a good idea to make a AAA-Angry Bird...Big Storydriven Games won't die. Big Multiplayer-Shooters won't die. And to you last sentence: They do. You want people to join you? Open your arms and don't be always so annoyingly cynical and suspicious about them. :)
can i point out that naughty dog had to fight tooth and nail to get ellie on the front cover, and i think it was ken livingston who said that their best chance to sell bioshock infinite was to put elizebeth on the back cover, just so it would "sell" because a dude bro holding a massive gun on the front cover is the best sell. the developer of remember me had to fight to sell their game, the game with a female protagonist with agency, because the publisher said quote "you can't make a dude like the player play a girl and make that girl kiss a dude, that'd be gay."
and that shows a disturbing lack of understanding of their core audience.