Tekken 6 info (spoilers)

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
I don't know how many people here are fighting game enthusiasts, but I definitely am. So after playing Tekken 6 a few times, I wanted to share everything I knew, since I'd never even heard a whisper of it anywhere else.

I'll start of with what I know of the story, which isn't very much. In a nutshell, Jin Kazama is now in control of Mishima Zaibatsu, and he's got the Zaibatsu army out in the arctic looking for something. Meanwhile, Kazuya is making moves (still) to take over the company. The story kind of gravitates around the two, although Heihachi is still around. Jin is the second-to-last character to fight in the game, which indicates that he might not be one of the good guys anymore.

In fact, most of the characters are still around, with a roster of roughly 36 people. Nina, Paul, Law, and even Roger Jr. are in the roster. Now on to the new characters.

First is Miguel. I don't know very much about his personal story. All I saw was a short scene where his house blows up and he's holding his beloved. His dress suggests that he may either be a matador or mariachi.

Gameplay-wise, he is slow. His moves take a second to connect, and if you miss an attack you're left open. On the plus side, his moves do really healthy damage, and he can air juggle like no one I've seen.

Next is Leo. I don't know anything about his story, except maybe that he was kidnapped from Virtua Fighter. Just look at Lion and you'll know what I mean.

Leo favors kicks and is pretty well-rounded. A personal observation; he's got this back-slam attack, similar to Law and Sung. The big difference between the two is that his can cover about half the screen and does really tremedous damage.

Zafina is third. She's another character that I really don't know anything about. She looks like a gypsy and that's about it.

Her fighting style is one of the most unique in the game. It seems to be a form of Wushu, though I could be mistaken. There's a bit of a learing curve with her, as you need to know how to transition her from on attack to the next. If you don't, she can be left wide open to attack, but if you do, she looks like the damn Tazmanian Devil. Also she has a low crouching form that looks kind of like mantis kung-fu, which makes her really hard to hit. She is Steve Fox's worst nightmare, from my experience. Finally, if you're the kind of person who likes to quick-step forwards and backwards, don't choose her, because she doesn't do it at all.

Next is Bob. He's not the last character, but I think he's the last playable character. The name Bob is fitting; if you've ever watched the show King of the Hill, he looks like Bobby Hill all grown up. They don't put him on the display like the other new characters. His story is that he was a renowned fighter trying to reach the next level of ability. The conclusion that he came to was that the best fighter needed to be able to take large amounts of damage, and lots of fat outside of the muscles can help him absorb damage. So he entered the tournament to test this theory.

I almost didn't try Bob, because he looked so fat and useless. But while his story and design might be a bit of a joke, his fighting is dead serious. I don't even know how to describe it save that he kicks ass. His biggest assets are his speed (surprisingly) and that he fluidly mixes attacks at different levels, making him hard to block.

Finally is Azazel. He's the final boss of the game. He's got the head of Anubis, Egyptian headdress and all, but his body looks like the love child of Jinpachi and a velociraptor. It's got a tail and lizard legs, with the dark energy and crystals coming out everywhere. No face in the stomach, though.

Two major changes in the gameplay. First they've added and active parrying system, though I'm not entirely sure how it works. Secondly, when you are knocked down to your last 10% or so of health, you power up. The screen flashes red, and your health bar will begin to glow. Your attacks and blocks are more effective and I THINK you have access to more effective moves. Other than that, it's Tekken, thank God.

Finally I'll touch on the graphics. Of course there's an improvement over Dark Resurrection. The stages are more detailed, with more going on. In one stage, there's a full rendered ocean in the background. My favorite was the farm town. Towards the beginning of the fight, a truck crashes into the side of the stage, letting all of these pigs and chickens onto the stage. They wander around and react dynamically to the fight. And yes, kicking the pigs is fun.

The Characters are more detailed, especially the male characters. They're made with a more detailed character map, so you can see the individual muscles move. Their skin texturing is also a lot more realistic. I think that the developers wanted to mess less with the female models for fear of making them less attractive. But when you see Kazuya's weathered face, with all of its pores and textures, next to Xaiyou's completely smooth face, you can see that they should have made some sort of effort.

But speaking of faces, they are much more expressive, which I think is the greatest improvement in the graphical detail. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but characters that are constantly changing facial expressions before, during, and after the fight adds a lot to the immersion factor. I was in the middle of a fight against the CPU whan someone else joined in. The screen froze, and I got to see a freeze frame shot of my character (Zafina) she was in the middle of a side kick. She was facing the screen, so she was looking out of the corner of her eyes to see her opponent. And she had a huge grin on her face. It was that oh-yeah-I'm-kicking-your-ass grin. I really dug that.

In short, if you liked Tekken 5, you'll enjoy this. It's got enough additions and improvements to be worth your time. To be honest, though, while I really enjoyed it, I don't think it will convert many new players.

Well I've pretty much spilled my guts on this thing. Here's hoping it comes to the US soon.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
i havent played any tekken game after Tekken Tag tournament XD ill just stick with Tekken 3 on my psx :)

fL4yk3

Dec 18, 2007
"Two major changes in the gameplay. First they've added and active parrying system, though I'm not entirely sure how it works. Secondly, when you are knocked down to your last 10% or so of health, you power up. The screen flashes red, and your health bar will begin to glow. Your attacks and blocks are more effective and I THINK you have access to more effective moves. Other than that, it's Tekken, thank God."

Can u elaborate more on the parrying system? Sounds interesting.... and i hadnt heard bout that other feature either, your attacts become more powerful? Im not sure if i really like that...also not too keen on the new rage system, but havent tried it myself yet so will reserve judgement.

Lookin forward to this game, ill probably buy it regardless of the reviews since im such a huge tekken fan haha. What characters do u ppl use?

Thanx for the review