Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

Tekken 7 game director Katsuhiro Harada came across negative reactions to the new character Lucky Chloe and has taken her away.

During the 20th Tekken anniversary event, game director Katsuhiro Harada revealed the newest character for Lucky Chloe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tekken%207], and she met a fair amount of negativity on the video game forum NeoGAF. In response, Harada said Lucky Chloe will be exclusive to Asia and Europe.

Lucky Chloe has cat ears, paws, a matching tail, headphones, and pigtails, and is certainly outlandish. A thread on NeoGAF criticized her character design as lazy, uninspired, and compared it to cute costumes found in Japanese pop. Other threads also discussed Lucky Chloe with mixed reactions, but a Twitter user sent a link of that NeoGAF thread to Harada about "Western fans not happy with Lucky Chloe."

Harada tweeted [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sj11at] in response, "By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? [sic] Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."

A different Twitter user asked Harada to add an option to delete characters you don't want to play against in Arcade battles - specifically, Lucky Chloe. Harada told the Twitter user not to worry; Lucky Chloe will only be available in East Asia and Europe.

Recently, others have tweeted to Harada asking him not to exclude Lucky Chloe from the U.S. release of the game. Harada has clarified that he does see both positive and negative feedback to the character.

"If you need = I release. If you don't need = I don't release," Harada said.

If enough people in the Tekken community show they want Lucky Chloe in the game, it appears Harada will include her.

Source: VG247 [https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN]

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
That's very customer oriented of him.

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 characters would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
BareHope said:

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 character would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.
Thank God, that isn't the case. I don't get the hubbub, though. If you're not a Chloe fan, then just don't pick her as your character. If you're playing the Story mode, you just have to sit through a fight with her once per playthrough. How is that so hard to digest?

There's plenty of lazy or fanservice-y characters I'm not a fan of in Japanese fighting games, but I don't let their existence spoil the rest of the game for me.

Ctirad

Jan 13, 2010
BareHope said:

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 character would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.
Removing content is customer oriented? Seems anti consumer to me.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
I think the character might be good if it was designed to be an actual catgirl instead of someone dressing as one. Fits in the same games series that has demons, vampires, androids, samurais, ninjas, and bears as playable characters running around fight each other in a modern/near future setting.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I don't get what the big deal is... but then again, my tastes are kinda... weird.

If you don't like the character then don't play as her. Are the fans that picky about the characters?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
She's still in the European version, GOOD!

Seems like the kind of character I would actually play a lot, especially if she has a quick fighting style. I can't stand using massive, slow, hulking characters in fighting games. Frustrates the hell out of me.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Hahaha. Oh wow. He sulked about the criticism so much, and talked about taking his ball and going home. I didn't think he would actually do it.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Huh, she looks fine to me. It's pretty ridiculous just to react to one Neogaf thread.

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
Ctirad said:
BareHope said:

Well, he's offering to remove the content on customer demand ... and he's offering to keep it in on customer demand, too. You can't deny an orientation towards the customer here, even if the response has a certain...passive-aggressive flavor to it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dango said:
Huh, she looks fine to me. It's pretty ridiculous just to react to one Neogaf thread.
There was one here as well, although the general consensus in that thread was "she's really not bad or out of place for a Tekken game", with the OP making claims that the creator was being racist...since apparently American is now a race. :p

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Just...just fuckin' ugh.

It's NeoGaf. Who cares what they think? (Him apparently) But seriously. Ugh.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Playing as the character is optional, why not leave that option there for those who do want to play as her? Seems like it does more harm than good.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
wow, it's not everyday you see something this childish. I hope that whoever his boss is at namco tells him to shut up stop behaving like a toddler that threw a tantrum when the class bully called his drawing ugly.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Surely its better to have more characters in a fighter instead of less characters? Ok, you may never want to choose Chloe as a character, doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to fight against her. I know consumer opinion can help a developer make a game better, but in this case, they should just make the game they wanted as a lot of people will lose the character due to a few negative arseholes. An how is that fair?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
My response will be somewhat similar to the one I wrote in an other thread about this.

This crosses the line of character design in Tekken?!

Not the freaking cyborg samurai, Blade,Bruce Lee, Jackie chan, Kung fu fighting bears and demons?

But cat looking popidol?!

Wat. Just all of my wat.

..I don't even.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Tekken has had a PANDA and a TINY T REX in their cast, and somehow this is worse?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
weirdee said:
Tekken has had a PANDA and a TINY T REX in their cast, and somehow this is worse?
Welcome to the internet.
Tho I have to say, that character does look silly, too. At least, for a fighter. For a few other genres. including racing, platformer or maybe a support-character in an FPS/TPS? Still a bit silly but more fitting.
Then again, it's Japan we're talking about and 'silly' is something they live on half the time.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? [sic] Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."
Heh. Fuck you too, Mr. Harada. Fuck you too.

:)

I cared nothing for the character(s), the game, nor the fan backlash. But this? This is insulting.

Was the NeoGaf thread childish? Oh yes. Very much so. However, Mr. Harada's Twitter response was far more childish. And if I may, bigoted.

So to hell with him and his game.

Ctirad

Jan 13, 2010
BareHope said:
Ctirad said:
BareHope said:

Well, he's offering to remove the content on customer demand ... and he's offering to keep it in on customer demand, too. You can't deny an orientation towards the customer here, even if the response has a certain...passive-aggressive flavor to it.
Ill give you that was was making changes based on consumer demand, but this would be like Blizzard balancing WoW based just on reading the rogue forums. While they would be listening to their customers it would likely cause changes that are negative overall.