Tekken: A Man Called X Live-Action Movie Set to Start Production This Month

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Tekken: A Man Called X Live-Action Movie Set to Start Production This Month

Set as a prequel to 2010's live-action Tekken film, Kane Kosugi will star as "X" in Tekken: A Man Called X.

Remember 2010's live-action Tekken movie? If not, I don't blame you, as the film adaptation for the fighting game wasn't well received by both critics and fans alike. Regardless of what you think, it seems that hasn't deterred Namco from pursuing yet another live-action Tekken film. In an announcement on Kane Kosugi's official site [http://kanekosugi.com/blog/film/2217.html], the actor has revealed that he has landed the starring role in the prequel and it will be called, Tekken: A Man Called X, with Kosugi playing the titular role.

First announced back in 2012, the prequel originally had the working title of Tekken: Rise of the Tournament, and reportedly had Prachya Pinkaew (Ong-Bak) set to direct. While this is the same prequel that was announced, it's still unknown whether Pinkaew is still attached to helm A Man Called X.

Kane Kosugi shot to prominence with the 2002 flick, Muscle Heat, but North American audiences might known him better as the son of actor Sho Kosugi who starred in films such as Revenge of the Ninja and most recently, as the lead villain in the Wachowski's 2009 film, Ninja Assassin.

Tekken: A Man Called X will be Kosugi's first lead role in a Hollywood production, but the actor is no stranger to film adaptation of games, with Kosugi playing the role of Ryu Hayabusa in Tecmo's 2006 live-action film adaptation of Dead or Alive.

Lionsgate and Crystal Sky Pictures are teaming up to produce the film, with production set to start later this month for a 2014 release.

Source: CityOnFire [http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/kane-kosugi-lands-hollywood-lead-role-with-tekken-prequel]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am baffled as to why they keep on making game to movie adaptions. Reviews and critics aside, the movies don't make a lot of money. There has to be some reason why they keep losing money like this. Is it a tax write off thing they can do?

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
008Zulu said:
I am baffled as to why they keep on making game to movie adaptions. Reviews and critics aside, the movies don't make a lot of money. There has to be some reason why they keep losing money like this. Is it a tax write off thing they can do?
Think we got another Uwe Boll situation on hand though. Howeverr, they do choreograph the fights quite well, I have to say.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Each game has like 40+ characters and they still need to make a new character?
One of the appeals of these kinda films is seeing new versions of these characters, so I don't think this will be any better then last time...

Captcha: knock off