Tell me about your gaming storage solutions and what you want to do next

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Tell me about your gaming storage solutions and what you want to do next.
Me,
1) PSVita 64 Gig proprietary storage. Damn them, expensive but worth having.
2) PC: 256 SDD for operating and apps. 1 TB drive for storage of files and games. 1.5 TB USB 2.0 for backup.
a. I want to upgrade the 1 TB to 4, the external 1.5 to a 4.0 TB USB 3.0. Only question is do I do this or just upgrade the entire PC. The PC likely has another 3 years to go (HD 7970: there's better, but this is pretty good for my needs).
3) Wii U: 32 Gig built in. If I get the 4 TB USB 3.0, I will put the 1.5 USB 2.0 on it. Don't want to spend too much on it. Dev kits for next Nintendo console already coming out. I don't know how much longer this will even be supported.
4) XBox One: 500 GB internal, 3 TB USB 3.0 external. Works great, plenty of room for games.
5) PS4: 500 GB internal, already out of space. :-( I had to delete like, all my PS+ stuff just to fit on Star Wars Battlefront 3 and it warned me, no more.
a: not sure what to do next. I like the idea of the Nyko Databank with 4 TB. Warned that PS4 doesn't support anything above 2 TB but that some people are making it work anyway. The 1/2 TB internal, should I do this? Are there places I can donate tiny hard drives for charity?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Storage solutions for the PS4?! Ha!

Yeah, I know you can replace the internal hard drive, but me being an average shmuck with little to no tech skills, I don't want to dive into something that could cost me my PS4 if handled incorrectly, along with whatever money I'd spend on a bigger hard drive.

At this point I guess I'm just gonna wait it out and musical chair it till my console inevitably breaks down and I have to buy a new one, which hopefully by then will have a 2 TB HDD.

This is why I never get anywhere in life.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Gorfias said:
5) PS4: 500 GB internal, already out of space. :-( I had to delete like, all my PS+ stuff just to fit on Star Wars Battlefront 3 and it warned me, no more.
a: not sure what to do next. I like the idea of the Nyko Databank with 4 TB. Warned that PS4 doesn't support anything above 2 TB but that some people are making it work anyway. The 1/2 TB internal, should I do this? Are there places I can donate tiny hard drives for charity?
Um, I'd hold off on upgrading the PS4 past 2TB for now. I don't even have a PS4 and I'm still worried that an update could inadvertently kill any systems going over that amount. That might be why Sony says only up to 2 TB is supported. Their code might be spotty beyond that, and they haven't got around to fixing it. Maybe they'll send out an update later one to make 3-4TB support official.

I'd also question the Nyko Databank. Being ugly as sin is one thing, but messing with line voltage (It piggybacks on the PS4's main power input.) and the SATA port simultaneously worries me. If you do go that route, just make sure to watch it and do everything you can to make sure Nyko's can't deny the warranty (fill out the stupid card, don't use a drive the intructions don't recommend, etc). I still remember stories of their Xbox 360 intercoolers melting at the plugs or doing worse for cooling than the stock fans alone.

OT: as for me? I got a 32GB Wii U and it's staying at 32GB for the foreseeable future. Except for small indie/VC games and the Metroid Prime Trilogy release, I don't really plan to put much else on it. Discs are the way to go, baby.

My PC, though, could use another drive. Games and music (and just those *he lied*) are filling the 1 TB HDD and 256 GB SSD. But the computer is so old I might just hold off while HDD/SSD prices go down. It time to build a new PC, or will be when I save up the cash. Then, I'll go with somewhere around a 500 GB SSD for OS and commonly played games and a 4TB HDD or two for mass storage. Considering I have a TJ-07 case to put parts in, I'll have plenty of physical space for drives of all flavors.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Storage solutions for the PS4?! Ha!

Yeah, I know you can replace the internal hard drive, but me being an average shmuck with little to no tech skills, I don't want to dive into something that could cost me my PS4 if handled incorrectly, along with whatever money I'd spend on a bigger hard drive.

At this point I guess I'm just gonna wait it out and musical chair it till my console inevitably breaks down and I have to buy a new one, which hopefully by then will have a 2 TB HDD.

This is why I never get anywhere in life.
Ok, take it from a fellow average shmuck with little to no tech skills, changing the hard drive in your PS4 is very easy. You simply slide the cover off and replace the hard drive, there is nothing else under that cover you can mess with.

If you are unsure, the PlayStation website has instructions with pictures and there are plenty of videos on YouTube that you can watch over and over again until you could possibly do it with your eyes closed.

Some words of advice though, when reinstalling the system software, make sure you have the right download. Unlike me who spent hours wondering why the download I had would not work and getting quite frustrated with it until I realised I had the wrong one. You need the large download, not the small one.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
6 terabytes of regular disk space and I would like more on next PC. Games take up around 4 gigs of that. I am not buying this gen consoles as I consider them lame in all aspects. On PS3 and 360 I have 1 TB externals thats barely enough.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hairless Mammoth said:
[upgrade of PS4 could be dangerous]
Hmmm. I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2 TB 2.5 internal. Sucks but may be necessary. Again, I've had it for 10 months and I'm already out of storage. Unacceptable.

My PC.. so old I might just hold off while HDD/SSD prices go down. It time to build a new PC
What do you have for a power supply and graphics card? For gaming, that is huge. May not need a new PC. Maybe, you do!

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
I've been using wicker boxes. They're perfectly sized to sit on my shelves and are cover enough to keep most of the dust out.
I can usually fit a console, all of its cables, all my controllers, and my favorite games comfortably in a single box.

The games I'm currently playing or intend to play soon go on a rack near my TV.
I keep the rest of my games on shelves in the bedroom.

I do need to find more of these boxes though. I got them from the container store way back when, but recently I haven't been able to find any more. I still have my Wii set up solely because I don't have a box for it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
For physical copies: I have a computer room with a closet built in. One shelf is used for them.
For digital: I have a 250 gig SSD that I place a very few select games on (Like ARK which has TERRIBLE loading times otherwise) and a 2 TB external HD for the rest.
I barely use my console and have few games for it so I just keep them in a drawer close-by.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
PC - Two 2-terabyte internals, One 150-gigabyte SSD internal, One 2-terabyte external. Numerous older drives with gods-know what on them.
- I'd like to add another, larger SSD at some point. For now all of my files are stored on one drive (and mirrored onto the other as backup), but I'd like to have a few games and other programs on a secondary SSD for better performance.

Playstation 4 - Standard 500-gigabyte drive.
- I may upgrade it at some point, but I've had the thing for only two and a half months and have yet to put a dent in the starter drive.

Xbox360 - Standard drive.
- I've pretty much downloaded, installed, or saved just about all of the games, profiles, and save files I'm going to store on this thing. I've no need for a new drive.

Physical discs and old consoles - A single, four-foot tall bookshelf. Numerous boxes in a closet. Unfathomable number of memory cards.
- At some point I'll probably put most of my 360 cases into another box and shove them into that closet beside the rest of my old console gear, but for now the shelf serves to hold those, my PS4 cases, and a handful of PC cases.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Vigormortis said:
Playstation 4 - Standard 500-gigabyte drive.
- I may upgrade it at some point, but I've had the thing for only two and a half months and have yet to put a dent in the starter drive.
Likely my most aggravating storage challenge. XB1 allows for external USB 3.0 storage that works great. Mine is 3 TB and allows me to have the .5 TB it came with. But the PS4? I'm interested in a 4 TB 3.5 put into Nyko storage, but in this very thread, I'm warned to just get a 2 TB internal.

Necessary. 10 months in, I'm out of storage space with my 1/5 TB. And I have fewer than 10 discs so far. They are fantastic though.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Gorfias said:
What do you have for a power supply and graphics card? For gaming, that is huge. May not need a new PC. Maybe, you do!
I am running a Core 2 Quad and GTX 465. I definitely need a new computer. My PSU is a 750 watt. At least I can use that if the new PC budget runs out.

Good luck with whatever you decide on for you PS4. Both sides got cheap by not starting with a 1 TB drive at launch.

OT: I guess we are starting to share physical storage, so I'll join in. I use a spare oak desk as a TV stand. It also keeps all of my controllers, remotes and PS1 games neatly stored. My PS3, PS2, 360 and Wii are on shelves in a 19" equipment rack, which also houses my 2 channel cheepo amp. (One day I'll get the money to do surround sound with pro-quality equipment.) The Wii U sits on top since the pad's range isn't the greatest. I keep all of my DVD cases in 4 plastic bins designs to hold DVD and CD cases.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I think I've got about 1 TB in total, but I've used this PC for half a decade and I've barely filled about 400 GB.

The next PC I'm eyeing will have a 2 TB harddrive, and I feel rather confident that I won't be able to fill it up at this rate.

By the way, question: You're supposed to keep a separate system drive and shove games and stuff inside another. Will a partition do the same, if it's only one harddrive?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My PC has 128GB SSD and 500GB HDD

I want to add a SDD (>= 1TB) to my computer. But its never a "I need it NOW" thing. It looks like I'll hold out another year once it becomes considerably cheaper than a game console.

Also, my PS+ subscription expired and I don't see myself subscribing again. So I think a lot of "my" games can go for PS4 (500GB) and PS3 (1TB).

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I actually just slapped two 2.0 terabyte hard drives into my computer, I got tired of having to uninstall large games like Shadow of Mordor and the like and just decided that I should be able to install EVERYTHING.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, I've got a specialty storage shelf unit for my console games that has controller hooks on the sides, a fairly large table with all of the consoles on it, a space on the bookshelf for the games that won't fit on the specialty unit, a box I keep odd pc disks in, a 1TB internal drive in the computer and 4 external harddrives.

What's that, expanded storage for consoles? I remember looking at putting a bigger harddrive in my old original xbox, but that was more as a hobby project. I also have at least two memory cards for every console I own. Aren't the newer systems setup so you can use thumb drives these days? Shoot, you can get those pretty cheap these days.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-465/specifications

Needs 550W, you have 750.

PCI 2.0x16

Considered a slower card now with lower value

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+465&id=

I'm betting even your current rig could do with a GTX 960. Dunno what these numbers but for about $230 you could go from 2,938 to about double that (5,973).

Heck, around $150 you could get a GTX 950. I want one. Cheap and could tide you over till you get/build your next PC. A thought.

I'm at the, do I fix up what I have or build a new one stage. I think I'll hold off as current consoles are so good it will be a bit before you see affordable PCS that can kick their butts (by around 5 years after ps3 launched, an affordable PC made its graphics look horrible by comparision... but that took a few years before it mattered. Next Gen is just entering its 3rd year (not counting the Wii U that had a years jump start)