Tell me, o muse...

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
I would like to set this thread up as a place to discuss the things that inspire you to do, well anything, from write, to speak, or maybe your a trained musician.

Whenever I write anything longer than a few sentences I listen to hip-hop, especially songs with fast rapping, it puts a lot of words, or phrases, in my head that help me when I am trying to find a way to word things.

mkb07a

Oct 11, 2008
While I was working on my presentation last night (that I started over at 3 AM and had to present at 10 AM), I was listening to Snow Patrol's new album on repeat.

Usually, though, Muse is my, well... muse of choice (ah, puns weren't intended but it happened anyway). It's the speed that helps me write, because I need something to help keep my momentum going. Granted, I feel like my writing has taken a nosedive off Everest, but oh well... Muse also makes me play my bass more often, as I tend to be listening to a song and go, "Hey, do I have the tabs for this?" So... Muse is my muse.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
black lincon said:
I would like to set this thread up as a place to discuss the things that inspire you to do, well anything, from write, to speak, or maybe your a trained musician.

Whenever I write anything longer than a few sentences I listen to hip-hop, especially songs with fast rapping, it puts a lot of words, or phrases, in my head that help me when I am trying to find a way to word things.
The suffering of my peers. Also rhythmic rock (think Bittersweet Symphony).

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
As strange as it is whenever I get stuck in something or cant think of what to do I pace up and down whether I am stuck on a puzzle in a game or cant think of what to write next on a piece of work (I only do this at home of course).

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
chronobreak said:
I do drugs and drink. It's quite inspirational.
Yep, plenty of inspiration to be had with the ole drugs and alcohol. I wager 35% of everything I've ever posted on the internet has been done while drunk.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I smoke pot, especially before studying or doing homework. I have no real reason to think that it actually helps me do these things, but it's become a ritual and now I never do anything important for school without a good bowl.

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
My inspiration comes in the form of taking three other works and mushing them togethor to make something original.

Its The Matrix meets Night at the Roxbury meets Lawrence of Arabia!

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Listening to "He's going the distance" or "the final countdown" gets me going; but when there isn't any music around or I start to slack off I just slap my self in the face and scream GO TIME!

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
PurpleRain. And generally not listening to any music is best, as it'll just distract me.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
cigarettes, its nice to take a break from what I am doing, and take a look at it from a different angle. Something about killing myself helps me think.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Um, I have food programmes on in the background normally. It makes me hungry, but I do really good work.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
xitel said:
Um, I have food programmes on in the background normally. It makes me hungry, but I do really good work.
Like a strawberry shortcake screen saver? *Snicker*

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I used to write. Short stories that I would fire off into the vast void of the internet, never to see or read again. Inspiration could come from anything from an awesome cinematic to just standing in line at a bank. Then I sat down one day, to add noise to internet and discovered I couldn't do it anymore.

That's when I turned to amateur trolling.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
xitel said:
Like a strawberry shortcake screen saver? *Snicker*
No, like Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

mkb07a

Oct 11, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
cigarettes, its nice to take a break from what I am doing, and take a look at it from a different angle. Something about killing myself helps me think.
I often wonder if I'd be a better writer if I smoked, but my asthmatic lungs won't allow me to find out.