Tell me useless info you know!

Jul 5, 2009
Peacey said:
Paris has the most Michelin-rated restaurants in the world. London is second. Based on my memory at least, I think it was something homework related.
Incorrect! I believe Tokyo has more than Paris and London combined. Thank you QI.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Wilson Driesens said:
Outright Villainy said:
Astrophysicist generally measure astronomical distance in parsecs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec], not light years. This also means Han solo was talking a load of gibbering ass when he said he did a speed run in a distance measurement. Many fans have tried to explain this away with black holes or meteor belts, but come on. They'll explain away anything.
Unless he was talking about the effects of relativity, with the Kessel Run being some distance OVER 12 parsecs, and with relativistic effects, it was shortened. Yes, I'm taking a class on relativistic physics.
I don't think Star wars would take relativistic mechanics into account. Assuming he wanted to finish a 12 parsec run before he died and rotted into nothing, he'd have to be travelling quite a bit faster than the speed of light; I think you can pretty much throw relativistic mechanics out the window then.

Note the "Explain away anything." :p

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
Wilson Driesens said:
Outright Villainy said:
Astrophysicist generally measure astronomical distance in parsecs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec], not light years. This also means Han solo was talking a load of gibbering ass when he said he did a speed run in a distance measurement. Many fans have tried to explain this away with black holes or meteor belts, but come on. They'll explain away anything.
Unless he was talking about the effects of relativity, with the Kessel Run being some distance OVER 12 parsecs, and with relativistic effects, it was shortened. Yes, I'm taking a class on relativistic physics.
I don't think Star wars would take relativistic mechanics into account. Assuming he wanted to finish a 12 parsec run before he died and rotted into nothing, he'd have to be travelling quite a bit faster than the speed of light; I think you can pretty much throw relativistic mechanics out the window then.

Both of you are wrong.
It was all space magic. Everything that cannot be explained in Star Wars = The Force did it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Outright Villainy said:
Wilson Driesens said:
Outright Villainy said:

Both of you are wrong.
It was all space magic. Everything that cannot be explained in Star Wars = The Force did it.
Why didn't I think of that before?! Good lord, it all makes sense now.

Except midichlorians.

That's still balls.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Outright Villainy said:
Wilson Driesens said:
Outright Villainy said:

Both of you are wrong.
Why didn't I think of that before?! Good lord, it all makes sense now.

Except midichlorians.

That's still balls.
Yeah, midichlorians are an exception because they are generally accepted as the result of George Lucas snorting cocaine.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The original director of Lucky Star was fired after four episodes.

The opening song for Azumanga Daioh, Soramimi Cake, was chosen after the director requested a song that had "no tone changes or climactic phrases."

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
Ultrazerglings said:
The standard issue Claymore Anti-Personel Mine has a 99% chance to kill all soft targets at 150 feet and wound at up to 375 feet rather than CoD's couple feet

.... You realize how damn big that explosion would have to be, right?

Pummet

Sep 1, 2010
greenflash said:
ring around a rosey is a song about death.
To be exact, The black death.

"A pocket full of posies" They were believed to keep the disease away
"Atishoo atishoo" Coughing up blood and the like
"We all fall down" Dead.

Can't remember what the first line means if it means anything at all. Didn't want to Google it because that would discredit my post xD

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Outright Villainy said:
Wilson Driesens said:
Outright Villainy said:

Again, not when you actually do take relativity into account. When traveling at speeds approximating the speed of light, your time slows down relative to observers at rest, and the distance you travel shrinks relative to you, so what an observer would see as, say 15 parsecs, you would only be traveling for 12 parsecs. And when you take into account time dilation, you can travel across the galaxy in a matter of minutes, assuming that your speed is extremely close to the speed of light.

That said, I really don't think George Lucas had that in mind when he produced Ep. IV.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
historybuff said:
If you drink 3/4 of a can of soda pop--you can balance the can on its rim so the whole can is tilted at about a 45* angle. It impresses people who have never seen it one before.
I love doing that, it causes so many "...wait, what?" moments to people passing by.