tell me why you are childfree

Aisaka

Mar 27, 2010
I refuse to spawn monsters that will annoy me for 18 years.

Also, it would hurt like a *****.

Also, I would probably abuse me children just for the fun of it.
"Mummy! Please don't whip me again!"
"MWAHAHAHA!"
"Mummy! What are you doing with that woodchipper?!"

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
kickyourass said:
Well for me it's because I'm 17, and I do not plan on actually having children at all. Although if I do ever have kids I'd at least want to be a semi-responsible adult first.

Gxas said:
I understand you have your rights and all, but a blog against children? Really?

Here, let me tell you why I do want kids:

I would like to be partially responsible for the human race to continue. If everyone went child free, bye bye us!
I really do not see the point to this argument. Unless some sort of mass sterilization occurs I highly, highly doubt that there is anything that would cause anything close to the majority of humans to go child free. Along with the fact that alot of people who have kids have enough that it makes up for the number of people who don't, so you really have nothing to worry about.
Mhm... I mean, sure, don't read on before responding.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Personally I relish the thought of having children, only thing holding me back is my age. I just don't think it's right that so many people go out of their way to berate the thought of having children while so many others who want kids are physically unable to have them. Besides, at the end of the day what is so bad about children? Sure they make alot of noise at the green-grocers but they don't start wars, they don't murder, they don't commit crimes and so far that puts them leaps and bounds ahead of histories adults.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Honestly, I thought about maybe having one one day (17 here, still undecided about everything), but maybe I will just adopt. That is of course if I can get a good steady income, a wife, and a good house. But there are many children who are allready in this world without parents, why should I rob them of a chance with a good life. Plus, I am really good with kids.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Aisaka said:
I refuse to spawn monsters that will annoy me for 18 years.

Also, it would hurt like a *****.

Also, I would probably abuse me children just for the fun of it.
"Mummy! Please don't whip me again!"
"MWAHAHAHA!"
"Mummy! What are you doing with that woodchipper?!"
Right, very creepy.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I'm seventeen, and I tend to view babies as screaming black holes for food and money.

There is a small chance I am a little jaded.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Pegghead said:
Personally I relish the thought of having children, only thing holding me back is my age. I just don't think it's right that so many people go out of their way to berate the thought of having children while so many others who want kids are physically unable to have them. Besides, at the end of the day what is so bad about children? Sure they make alot of noise at the green-grocers but they don't start wars, they don't murder, they don't commit crimes and so far that puts them leaps and bounds ahead of histories adults.
Um, I have read A LOT about kids who commit crimes AND murder. Some of those stories are even posted here on The Escapist.
And why I do feel for people who can't have children naturally, maybe they should adopt? That's what my mother did--she had wanted a child for many years, but instead of invitro fertilization, my parents adopted a child (then I was born 11 years later ><;)

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Because I'm a member of PRIATE...
Oh,
And I'm 16.

Seriously though, I can't stand kids. I think the only kids I do like are my cousins, and once they're in a bad mood I hand them over to the parents straight away.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Ugh, to blanket respond to several posts:

1) I am a woman, not a man, thank you
2) Yes I always get asked by others when I'm having kids and then practically harrassed when I tell them I am not going to. They go as far to say I'll change my mind and if I don't have children no one will care for me when I'm old and infirm.
3) A child free magazine may not last, but I could think of tons of topics for it. "Places that don't allow children." "How to avoid noisy brats in public places." "Finding a community to live in where children are not allowed."

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Well, it's because I haven't got a girl. I can't get a girl because I haven't got a car. I can't get a car because I haven't got a job. And I can't get a job because I haven't got a car.
So these days I spend my time looking for a girl with a job and a car.
(Cookie for reference!)

REPLAY13

Apr 6, 2010
I'm child free because I'm 18, single and broke...

but I DO want to have kids one day.

also, TC: do you by any chance watch How I Met Your Mother? because this reminds me a lot of Barney Stinson's "Not A Father's Day"

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
If I wanted a pet, I'd get a dog.
That made me laugh. Hard.

OT: Because I'm 15 and if I was old enough to answer the question properly I'd probably say because I'm terrifyingly incompetent. (not impotent, you silly little fruedians)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Basic biology.
I'm pretty sure I need one of those "female" things, whatever they are. And as far as I can tell, neither I nor my partner are one of them.

And children disgust me. They're horrid, obnoxious, irritating, ignorant and stupid. Sure, I should love them for how similar they are to me, but I just can't stand them.

Maquette

Robot Oeuf
Sep 10, 2009
Whilst I wouldn't identify as being childfree, I wouldn't want to have children until I was completely financially stable and had done everything expensive - and perhaps irresponsible - that I want to do with my life first. If I had a baby at twenty-one like so many of my friends have chosen to do I'd resent the missed opportunities. Frankly, I doubt my fiance would be emotionally ready for fatherhood either.

A lot of people seem to think that being childfree implies a deep rooted hatred of children, I don't believe it does. I think I'd rather identify as childfree than childless; being called childless has connotations that I'd be missing out on something as opposed to having made an informed lifestyle choice which was right for myself and my partner. I'd loathe to be childfree and be told "it's different when it's your own" or that "you'll change your mind" mumbo jumbo too. It would be nice if people could respect other people's choices, nobody is obliged to reproduce, though one day I would like to have a child. If I couldn't have a child of my own I'd either consider adoption or embrace the fact that I'd live my life childfree.

snide_cake

Nov 29, 2009
Not having children, ever. I wouldn't make a good parent.

Kids seem like dogs to me, in that they have to be trained to behave, to sit and shut up and eat when they're told. And my dogs are better behaved than most kids.

Plus I can leave my dogs in the back yard all day and night and feed 'em once a day and everything's sweet. Or I can leave 'em in the laundry if I need to. Or I can come home late at night and they're still fine and happy as hell to see me. Half that shit is illegal with kids.

Too much effort, too much investment, and I've seen the way people have to change their entire way of life for a kid. Their entire life revolves around the kid. So like...when the kid goes to sleep, then mummy can actually go and do something she wants to do, like garden, but then oh the kid is awake again and it's all about the kid.

I s'pose for some people that's great, that's exactly what they want - to be relied upon, to have someone to revolve their life around. That's great if you want it. But that seems a huge downer to me.

I wanna be able to travel, to invest, to buy this and that, to go here and there, do my own thing, without having to worry about another someone who's totally dependant on me. I don't want to put my own plans on hold for 16-20 years.

And I don't like kids. They annoy me. Some are okay. Some aren't noisy, rowdy things who demand attention. But most are. And that's crappy parenting. Crappy training. And parents letting their kids override them, or buck up. Fail.

r0qu3

Jul 28, 2009
As a male, with german laws in mind, getting a child would be the same as declaring bancruptcy with a 50/50 chance of not seeing the child if the mother don't feels like...I rather bang my head to a wall than getting a child...

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Wounded Melody said:
Pegghead said:
Um, I have read A LOT about kids who commit crimes AND murder.
As have I, but a kid with parents who deserve to be shot that joins a gang or little Billy thinking that his fathers rifle is a toy is hardly comparable to acts such as this, this and even this.

Some of those stories are even posted here on The Escapist.
And why I do feel for people who can't have children naturally, maybe they should adopt?
Really what I intended to get across in that statement was people who are faced with many difficulties obtaining a child, more often than not that barrier being an in-ability to produce them, besides, I did watch UP the other day (It was a VERY good movie for those on the fence about it) and I couldn't help but think of a particular scene towards the beginning relative to my post. I've heard of cases where women who want nothing more than a child get put on IVF lists for years at a time so some other women can have their eighth baby in-vitro, same long-time waiting list, short on credibility hurdles can be applicable to the adoption process. Besides, I was focusing less on the latter and more on the formers association with the latter. Here are all the folk who don't want children on the escapist loudly flouncing their anti-child beliefs (I am sick to fucking death of it, I come onto the escapist I wanna talk about games, I wanna debate the zombie apocalypse, I wanna meet some interesting people who share my hobbies! I don't want to debate the ethical standings of religion and humanity!) while some poor couple is up to their eyeballs in adoption forms because of their in-fertility. It's fair to not want kids and I'd probably berate somebody for thinking that not wanting children is on par with mass-murder, but seriously, threads, user groups, an anti-child blog? Give it a fucking rest.

Sorry to rage here but sure as God made little green apples I can't give a valid opinion on any forum which asks for them without a thousand users jumping down me bloody throat because of my stance on topics like religion, humanity, politics and children.