Teller Sues Over "Stolen" Magic Trick

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Hexenwolf said:
I absolutely NEVER want to know how it's done. That illusion is magical.
I'm going to have to second you on that one, my friend. That is one of the best illusions I've ever seen. Short of the one where I saw a guy throw a cat in the air and turn it into a dove.

That was pretty cool.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
The way it's done is most likely very thin wire attached to tiny blades around each incision on the actual plant which you pull when miming the cut on the shadow
This is what I came in here to post.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Unlike most of those who have posted here I wont say I understand the legal system in full (though I know that the laws are very different worldwide and from state to state) so I don't know if he's doing anything illegal. While I love Penn and Teller and I find this illusion really amazing I can't see why we should side with them. In one episode of Bullshit they said a lot about psychic mediums and the fact that it was bullshit that they had to sign legal documents in order to not reveal the details around the show before it edited. They spent an entire episode saying that mediums wanting to hide their secret was bullshit and called those people assholes. Now Teller is in the same position and does the same thing. This my friends, is bullshit.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Yopaz said:
Unlike most of those who have posted here I wont say I understand the legal system in full (though I know that the laws are very different worldwide and from state to state) so I don't know if he's doing anything illegal. While I love Penn and Teller and I find this illusion really amazing I can't see why we should side with them. In one episode of Bullshit they said a lot about psychic mediums and the fact that it was bullshit that they had to sign legal documents in order to not reveal the details around the show before it edited. They spent an entire episode saying that mediums wanting to hide their secret was bullshit and called those people assholes. Now Teller is in the same position and does the same thing. This my friends, is bullshit.
It's been a while since I saw it, but I think the point of the episode was that the concept of psychic mediums is bullshit. They exposed tricksters who pretended they were genuine. P&T have never claimed that they are practicioners of actual -magic-. I think it's an important distinction to make.

That said, I'm not so sure I agree with the lawsuit. Wouldn't it be rather like one actor suing another actor for playing a similar role in different movies?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Klumpfot said:
Yopaz said:
It's been a while since I saw it, but I think the point of the episode was that the concept of psychic mediums is bullshit. They exposed tricksters who pretended they were genuine. P&T have never claimed that they are practicioners of actual -magic-. I think it's an important distinction to make.

That said, I'm not so sure I agree with the lawsuit. Wouldn't it be rather like one actor suing another actor for playing a similar role in different movies?
Well, sure the main point of the episode was the cold reading and getting in touch with the dead was complete and utter bullshit. However one of the mediums had everyone in the audience sign contracts about not revealing anything that didn't hit the screen and he was an asshole because of this. The thing is that I love them for their work, but there's some serious hypocrisy in this deal. They called bullshit on someone who sued over revealing secrets, now they sue over revealing secrets.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
chronobreak said:
Tipsy Giant said:
The way it's done is most likely very thin wire attached to tiny blades around each incision on the actual plant which you pull when miming the cut on the shadow
This is what I came in here to post.
and with that I have earned my title of ninja, finally... now where are my throwing stars?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Taunta said:
I feel bad for Teller, because that trick is really personal to him I think, and to have someone take that and sell it is just...ugh. Disgusting. I'm foggy on the copyright laws about magic tricks, but I hope Teller wins this one.

Also slightly unrelated, but I wonder if Penn knows how the trick works.
The video said, Teller came up with it when he was 17. Teller's about 60, I think. I'd say it is probably one of his signature tricks and very personal to him. It is a damn impressive looking performance, too. I know it's not real, but that doesn't matter. It's still incredible looking.

Also, I'm pretty sure Penn knows the trick to it. Probably a few people that work for them, too. I think they said that they have a few people that actually know how some of their illusions work on an episode of Bullshit. Or maybe my memory is full of Bullshit on that last part?

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Saltyk said:
Taunta said:
I feel bad for Teller, because that trick is really personal to him I think, and to have someone take that and sell it is just...ugh. Disgusting. I'm foggy on the copyright laws about magic tricks, but I hope Teller wins this one.

The video said, Teller came up with it when he was 17. Teller's about 60, I think. I'd say it is probably one of his signature tricks and very personal to him. It is a damn impressive looking performance, too. I know it's not real, but that doesn't matter. It's still incredible looking.

Also, I'm pretty sure Penn knows the trick to it. Probably a few people that work for them, too. I think they said that they have a few people that actually know how some of their illusions work on an episode of Bullshit. Or maybe my memory is full of Bullshit on that last part?
IIRC, when referring to the bullet catching trick they do, they said they and three people who work for them know how the trick is done. Everyone else who's guessed hasn't even come close

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
CM156 said:
Saltyk said:
Taunta said:

IIRC, when referring to the bullet catching trick they do, they said they and three people who work for them know how the trick is done. Everyone else who's guessed hasn't even come close
Yeah, that was it. I remember they said, that they would check message boards trying to figure out the trick and laugh at some of the responses.

They also said that no matter what, if someone claimed to figure out the trick, they would tell them they were wrong. I suppose the people that know the actual tricks are pretty trustworthy.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Saltyk said:
CM156 said:
Saltyk said:
Taunta said:

Yeah, that was it. I remember they said, that they would check message boards trying to figure out the trick and laugh at some of the responses.

They also said that no matter what, if someone claimed to figure out the trick, they would tell them they were wrong. I suppose the people that know the actual tricks are pretty trustworthy.
I gave up on trying to figure out magic tricks a long time ago. It's much more fun if you think "Wow, that was amazing" rather than "How did they do that?"

But that's a pretty cool trick, regardless.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Evilsanta said:
Woah, That is one hell of a illusion/trick.

I can understand why he wantts to keep it a secret.

Also copying someone elses trick sound like douchebag behavior.
Reminds me of Dennis Leary. Any douchebag that steals other people's material and then tries to make a profit off of it is pretty damn low.

On a somewhat related note, "Weird Al" does parodies of other people's work, but at least he asks for permission first. (In some cases, he makes a better song than the original!) He doesn't have to, by law, but he does it out of courtesy nonetheless.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Any theories on how it's done?
Judging from how Teller "cuts" it, it appears that the rose falls apart of it's own accord, and Teller just knows where and approximately when.

Draw your own conclusions.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
This Bakardy character sounds like a real scumbag, figure out the illusion sure, but then sell the methodology for 3 fucking grand?

That's just wrong, don't ruin the magic for the rest of us fuckstick, I hope Teller wins.

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Any theories on how it's done?
Judging from how Teller "cuts" it, it appears that the rose falls apart of it's own accord, and Teller just knows where and approximately when.

Draw your own conclusions.
"He uses a double" (Not often I get to use that).

Anyways, even if you feel one way or another on the copyright issue, revealing magic tricks for money is just poor form.