Telltale AMA: We'd Love To Do Star Wars

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Telltale AMA: We'd Love To Do Star Wars

But what about The Walking Dead? Well ...

"Coming from LucasArts we have so many people here that love Star Wars and have worked with the license so that would be a great fit and very cool," says Telltale co-founder Dan Connors. "In addition we will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those!" Not that Telltale's odds of working on a Star Wars title are that great; EA holds the license, and may be thinking more AAA than Telltale low-key. But a Telltale co-founder can dream, and besides, there's plenty for Telltale to be happy about right now. Including that mysterious new IP.

Shadow Warriors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129130-Walking-Dead-Season-Two-Gets-Lonely-with-New-Trailer-Screenshots], and it seems odd to cross-promote with a Walking Dead character that only appears once. Still, you never know; Kenny might have made it out. Or maybe ...

"I think we're trying to establish a vocabulary and tone for a Telltale game," says Kevin Bruner, who remembers the Infocom text adventure days with great fondness. He thinks of a Telltale title as more of a role playing game than a choose your own adventure. "It's always been our philosophy to make choices feel important as opposed to being merely mechanically important," says he.

Season Two's on its way, and you'll be stepping into Clementine's very small shoes. It wasn't the only way Telltale could have taken the series, and it thought long and hard before making its decision. "We were really considerate that we don't want to ruin your impression of Clem," says Bruner, "but I think we've found a really great way to make it all work." The opening episode of Season Two's due very soon, for iOS, PS Vita, Xbox 360, PS3, Mac and PC.

Source: Telltale AMA Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1phemu/we_are_dan_connors_kevin_bruner_founders_of/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
A Star Wars point and click adventure game by Telltale? Sure, I'd buy that one.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Karloff said:
Not that Telltale's odds of working on a Star Wars title are that great; EA holds the license, and may be thinking more AAA than Telltale low-key.
Yeah EA gets really stingy with their licenses, but their only concern is whether they can make money. Even though The-Walking-Star-Wars wouldn't be a AAA shooter, but it would still be guaranteed to make bank. Telltale games are both critical and commercial successes, so the only real blocker is the logistics of licensing and profit sharing. EA owns DICE so they still get $$$ when BF3 comes out. If they handed Star Wars over to Tell-Tale, it would make a bunch of money, but that money would have to be split 3 way - between EA, Telltale, and their overlord Disney, who undoubtedly would want the biggest cut. A license can only be passed down so far before it loses its profit margins.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
But none of this pertains to Sam & Max or Monkey Island. Still. I mean all this dabbling with immense success and critical acclaim is entertaining but, c'mon, Telltale!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
The only things I want to hear from Telltale are the release dates for the next The wolf among us episode and an announcement that they are making more Monkey Island.

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
I'd love for them to make a Star Wars game.

I just wish EA would too, why did they have to get full rights to the Star Wars license?
And I doubt Disney even knows Telltale even exists, so they probably wont be making one.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The only other franchise I would want them to work on more than Star Wars is Discworld. A Telltale Discworld saga would have a permanent place on my hard drive.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
A Star Wars game made by Telltale would be instant-buy for me (provided they stick to the Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us formula, or some other that makes sense in relation to Star Wars). But yeah, with EA sitting on the license it seems highly unlikely to happen for the foreseeable future...

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
The only other franchise I would want them to work on more than Star Wars is Discworld. A Telltale Discworld saga would have a permanent place on my hard drive.
This would be amazing. I really hope someone from Telltale sees that. Discworld and Telltale would be an incredible match.

Also, as one of the Facebook comments noted; Star Trek. Star Wars is far too flashy and mystical, but Trek's roots in crew interaction and problem solving would lend itself very well to Telltale's style.

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
I am all for letting Telltale take a stab at the Star Wars universe. So far they've been knocking them out of the park with their latest offerings. I also think it would be more than a little funny if Telltale made a game which cast a long shadow over the movies coming out in the near future.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
CriticalMiss said:

Jeezaagood my jaw dropped at how good an idea that is.

I've very rarely heard game pitches and been blown away by just the idea of it, but this would be the cat's tits. It wouldn't even have to be very good to be good.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
But none of this pertains to Sam & Max or Monkey Island. Still. I mean all this dabbling with immense success and critical acclaim is entertaining but, c'mon, Telltale!
Preach on brother! While I do love everything else Telltale is doing I really want another season of Sam and Max!