Telltale Employees Caught Reviewing Their Own Game

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
The silly thing is, that's cost them permanently in some way now. I'm not exactly going to boycott Telltale games or anything, but from now on whenever I hear their name I'm going to remember this. Small and seemingly insignificant I know, but you never know...

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Daymo said:
DVS BSTrD said:
So the recognized that they were telltale employees by how badly the reviews were written? This does not bode well for their games
Quite the opposite in fact, gamespot is saying because they were written properly, they couldn't have been from random users.
I'd actually be tempted to go post a review of the game there, just because of that. No, it is not a 10/10 game, but I'm enjoying it. The story is interesting (even if they just killed my favorite character), and the pacing solid enough. But the "game" portion is almost all QTEs, so Yahtzee would likely have an aneurysm. Considering the nature of the game (you're being attacked by DINOSAURS), though, it seems to me that your only real hope for survival is quick reactions and hoping your instincts work out for you. 10/10? No. But I'd say a solid 7. And that's a real 7 on a 10-point scale. Not this nonsense where "8" is average and everything else goes up by fractions of a point.
I agree, it's certainly I game I enjoyed, I played though it in one sitting because I didn't want to stop. Replay value is fairly low though...don't really know if I would want to do it again because I felt my dialog choices didn't really have any real impact on the story...

Then again I'd hesitate to use the word game, I'd call it more of a movie with quick-time events. Still better than the JP3 movie for sure.

As for the employees doing the user reviews; they could have been more professional but meh, it's a user review. Who listens to them? I bought the game because I liked the trailers and I'm a Jurassic Park fanboy.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
I don't know if you want to correct this or not, Grey, but that should be 'faring' instead of 'fairing'. Not that I'm going to lose sleep over it or anything, but you might like to know. -Your Friendly Neighbourhood Pedant

OT: Why do employees still do this when there's such a stupidly long track record of every other employee who's tried to boost Metacritic scores and been rumbled? Why?? And why do they make it so obvious? Gamespot hit it right on the head -- throw in some dodgy spelling and grammar for good measure. To have to drop your standards of writing to make it more believable is slightly tragic, but come on, they read like promotional advertisements anyway, for God's sake. If Steven Spielberg decided to direct Heavy Rain? Really?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I have sympathies for telltale as their games do appeal to me, and can kinda understand why when you work hard on a game for a small company and it gets rattled by negative reviews that will affect your future employment prospects, you might be sorely tempted to raise the all knowing metacitic score that will decide your future.

After all, if the bigger devs are doing it, why not them too? I'd wager this is a much more common practice then we all realize, but only a few get caught from time to time.
Fuck metacritic and this rating system BS.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
1. You can't always win.

2. If you try to game the system so that you do, and you're caught, they will kick the living @#$% out of you.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
That's just unethical. There's promoting your game as an employee, and then there is trying to game a system so your game can look good. Bad, Telltale employees, bad. *slaps them on the hand*

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Has it occurred to nobody to point out the irony of the company being called "Telltale"?

Oh I'm sorry... I'm doing wrong...

Hz no1 thot it funy tht cpnys names telltale?