Telltale to Make an Episodic Batman Series

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Telltale to Make an Episodic Batman Series

A Telltale Batman series was revealed at The 2015 Game Awards.

Telltale is tackling the Dark Knight in an upcoming Batman series, slated for 2016. The announcement was made tonight at The 2015 Game Awards. A blog post [https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/102827/telltale-games-warner-bros-and-dc-entertainment-announce-game-series-based-on-batman-for-2016] on Telltale's website states that the episodic series will be available digitally on home consoles, PC, Mac, and mobile devices, although specific platform details have not yet been announced.

"At Telltale, we've been honored to bring our unique approach to interactive storytelling to some of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world, and we're excited to announce that we'll soon be exploring what it means to be Batman in an all-new series starting next year," said Kevin Bruner, Co-Founder and CEO of Telltale Games [https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/102827/telltale-games-warner-bros-and-dc-entertainment-announce-game-series-based-on-batman-for-2016]. "This iteration of Batman will give fans a first-hand opportunity to dive deeper into the complex life and mind of Bruce Wayne, the duality of his own identity, and the struggle of responsibility in saving a city overcome with corruption and villainy."

"Telltale has an established track record of creating award-winning content for some of the best properties in the world," said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "We look forward to working with the team as they deliver a new interactive way for fans and gamers to experience the rich narrative world of Batman."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/672601382835216385]

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
We'll see a FNAF Telltale adaptation sooner than the second season to The Wolf Among Us.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Imre Csete said:
We'll see a FNAF Telltale adaptation sooner than the second season to The Wolf Among Us.
I don't think that's ever going to happen at this rate, if only because they've already confirmed second seasons for even more recent properties... I just made myself sad...

OT: I think this could turn out pretty well, but I'll wait until all the episodes are out before considering picking it up.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The TellTale formula would work well with Joker's villainous plans: you're screwed whatever choice you make!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Let's just hope Frank Miller isn't involved

"Press 'A' To Say Something Racist."
"Press 'B' To Say Something Sexist."
"Press 'C' To Say Something Homophobic."
"Press 'D' To Say Something 'Goddamn'."
"Press 'E' To Say Something Racist."
"Press 'F' To Say Something Growl."

O, FM, without you I'd never get to have fun posting about Batman.
XD

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Marvel, Game of Thrones, Minecraft, now Batman. Making The Walking Dead was easily one of the smartest moves by Telltale, they're getting game deals left and right.

OT: Though I hope the Marvel game comes first, I'm sure looking forward to this one too. It would be cool to do the dual character system, with one being a cop and the other a new vigilante, With the main cast acting as supporting characters.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Christ...I'm gonna second(third,fourth, etc) the Wolf Among Us deserving its second season. Tales and GoT were ok, but ultimately snorefests for me. Give me back my fairy tale creatures living in the Bronx...

Secondly, screw this noise, getting sorta sick of this cashcow hopping business...especially when their engine and stories have been getting steadily dated with each release for the most part...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Urrrgh.

Really? Fucking Batman?

Talk about a waste of talent.

I mean ok, granted, they actually managed to make bloody Borderlands appealing for a moment there, but there have got to be more interesting properties out there than this.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've never played a Telltale game (though I often watch playthroughs), nor am I a superhero conissuer by any means.

Am I a bad person for feeling let down that of all the DC heroes Telltale could have chosen, they chose Batman? As in, yet another Batman game? :(

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
At this point, it would be easier to list the properties Telltale isn't making games for.
But seriously, I'm worried they're taking on too many projects. Their engine is definitely showing age - I'd much rather see a year off of such frequent releases for an upgrade that would allow more variety between games and a face lift. I'm sure their writing team will do Batman well (fingers crossed for a Mr. Freeze or Hush setup), and hopefully Telltale's style lends to bringing back detective Batman. But the existing architecture needs a revision, at least for model/animations and new content workflows.
It does shine with comic book style adventures though.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Looks promising, but Batman can be all over the place, and while it's clear it's avoiding the Adam West series, there's still a lot of incarnations and tones that could make or break this (as already said, the Frank Miller route would kill it).

That said, I think it's time Teletale drops the episodic release stuff. It isn't just because I hate the format and waiting times, but they get so buggy by the end because their working with many many pieces that don't work elegantly when stitched together.

And I'll agree that the moody bit is tired. Borderlands was batshit insane fun and a nice change of pace to the "oh god, don't make me choose" of the rest of their lineup. Maybe something like Mortal Kombat, or Harry Potter if you want to try for something serious but light, or Disgaea, Neptunia, or Saint's Row for open comedy. Hell, I'd take My Little Pony at this point.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hmm. I suppose it's probably wayyyyy too much to hope that they'll take a step back from the "all of your 'choices' get routed through a very narrow number of 'gates' with the occasional back-reference to fool you into believing you made a difference" route at this point.

I've enjoyed Telltale games in the past, and they've gotten rather good at what they do, but it's getting a little stale. "Game of Thrones" is sitting one episode in on my desktop because I don't think I have the patience to watch a whole cast of protagonists be miserable and/or killed while the game blames me for it.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hawki said:
I've never played a Telltale game (though I often watch playthroughs), nor am I a superhero conissuer by any means.

Am I a bad person for feeling let down that of all the DC heroes Telltale could have chosen, they chose Batman? As in, yet another Batman game? :(
No, I think anyone with a passing knowledge of DCU is annoyed to all hell that we get *yet another* Batman game.

Ncrdrg

Sep 12, 2014
Telltale games have gotten pretty stale for me. I definitely enjoyed the first season of Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, which had an incredibly rich world but the choices not mattering at all got old real fast for me. Until this changes, their formula is simply no longer worth my time and money. It's about time they get rid of this illusion of choice to one where choices actually make a difference.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Of course it had to be Batman as opposed to one of the other million different superheroes out there. Trying to find a novel well of presenting a Batman story at this point seems like more effort than it's worth.

I'm still holding out for the Garrus C-Sec investigaions series.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I for one am happy, would prefer a lesser known hero to get a chance in the lime light, but I am a Batman fan. I just hope they make a newer version of their engine.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
everyone still loves Batman. I'd be down for this, even though I didn't play TWD season 2 and didn't *quite* like Wolf Among Us, oh well.

I'd also like to see them making an effort to blackmailing Alan Moore into writing it

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, is this gonna be based on The Dark Knight Return or the Dawn of Justice cos the insigna look similar to the one used in those graphic novel and film?