Telltale's Game of Thrones Adventure Game Launches Next Week - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Telltale's Game of Thrones Adventure Game Launches Next Week - Update

Telltale loves its last minute release date announcements [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138762-Tales-From-the-Borderlands-Release-Date-Revealed], this time letting us know that the Game of Thrones adventure game launches next week.

Update: Telltale has posted on its official blog [http://www.telltalegames.com/blog/categories/blog] that PS3 owners will have to wait until December 9 - a week after the game launches on other platforms.

Original Story: Well, that was unexpected. Hot off the tail of its Game of Thrones adventure game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138762-Tales-From-the-Borderlands-Release-Date-Revealed] will launch next week, on December 2.

The game will launch on December 2 for the PC/Mac and PS4, with the Xbox One/360 and iOS release dates following shortly afterwards on December 3 and December 4 respectively.

We don't really know too much about the game as of yet, except that it will be house Forrester in some way [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138512-Telltale-Game-of-Thrones-to-be-Six-Episodes]. While Telltale has confirmed that some of the show's most familiar characters will be making an appearance in the game, we don't know how significant those appearances will be.

Telltale's previously released The Walking Dead adventure series received praise from completely shying away from the TV show/comic book characters (with the brief exceptions of Glenn and Herschel), so don't be surprised if its Game of Thrones series is all original characters.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/538025079599144961/photo/1]

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I'm actually interested in this. I've never watched Game of Thrones though. However, I also have never watched The Walking Dead or read The Wolf Among Us and own both of (well, all three of) those games. So, I'm hoping it'll be something similar. I'll wait for reviews though.

Sep 14, 2009
while I'm interested in this, I'm actually getting sick of it being released in episodes...it's just like tv shows these days with me, I watch usually a season or two at a time then drop it for a year or two to let the show catch up/carry on.

I still have the second season of walking dead to play and the wolf among us to play, so I suppose I shouldn't bicker about it..

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I liked Walking Dead season 1, 2 was disappointing. I will wait for a review of all 6 eps, then I might buy it, when it's on sale.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Creator002 said:
I'm actually interested in this. I've never watched Game of Thrones though. However, I also have never watched The Walking Dead or read The Wolf Among Us and own both of (well, all three of) those games. So, I'm hoping it'll be something similar. I'll wait for reviews though.
One thing to be wary of is that this game is both canon to and running concurrently with the TV show. It takes place between Seasons 3 and 4 of the TV show, so if you plan on watching the show and don't want spoilers then I'd strongly recommend watching the show first. While both the Walking Dead and the Wolf Among Us are canon as well, the Walking Dead did a completely independent story, and the Wolf Among Us was a prequel to the comics

Also... the Game of Thrones universe is so deep and complex that I think you'll be much better off watching the show first anyway. You'll appreciate the setting, characters, and plot a lot more that way. Telltale said that it's possible to understand the story without the TV show but that viewers/readers will get a lot more out of it.

So take that for what its worth.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
Creator002 said:
You should really play the Wolf Among Us as soon as possible. I just finished up the final episode about 15 minutes ago and it was fantastic. It was almost as good as Walking Dead Season 1 but that game is just too excellent to really touch, it puts you through the emotional ringer. I haven't played Season 2 yet but I'm looking forward to it. I'm excited for GoT because I am a fan of both the series and the books but I think it just comes down to how much I like this style of "game" - it is like a combination Choose-Your-Own-Adventure and QTE. I'm actually not a huge fan of QTE in "regular" video games but they seem to really enhance the tension in the Telltale type.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
Wait! No PS3 release?

Thy am sadden..
I was saddened too, but it comes out December 9th, so a week after all the major releases for some reason, so don't be too sad, we can follow in the chronicles of Westeros too!

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Damnit.

I want this badly.

But I also need to save money for Christmas prezzies.

Decisions, decisions....

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
Damnit.

I want this badly.

Decisions, decisions....
You could buy it as a present for yourself. I do that during Christmas which I just realized is incredibly sad.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Bat Vader said:
Dragonlayer said:
Damnit.

I want this badly.

Decisions, decisions....
You could buy it as a present for yourself. I do that during Christmas which I just realized is incredibly sad.
XD

Nah, I have to save up for gifts to my family; besides I know I wouldn't be able to stand the wait for the next episode after completing the first. As painful as it is, best to wait for all six to be released and grab them in a Steam sale.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
We don't really know too much about the game as of yet, except that it will be house Forrester in some way [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138512-Telltale-Game-of-Thrones-to-be-Six-Episodes]. We're not sure how much connection the series will have with the books (and TV series), and if any familiar characters will be making an appearance or not.
Actually we do know more, the Escapist article you linked to even says so:

Over the weekend, screenshots from the game leaked, depicting several characters from the HBO show. Telltale has confirmed the following characters in the game: Tyrion Lannister, Cersei Lannister, Margaery Tyrell, and Ramsay Snow. The actors from the show will reprise their roles for the game. That doesn't seem to be all the familiar characters - Telltale stated additional characters will make appearances in later episodes.
I'll play this eventually, but I guess I'll wait until all episodes are out, as I did with Walking Dead. ASOIAF is one of my favorite book series and I've been geeking out abot GoT since the show started, but actually I've grown a bit tired of it, so I'm not as excited as I might have been a few years ago
And as much as I loved Telltale's TWD, they overdid the everyone-will-die thing in S2 so much that I barely had any connection to any of the characters. I don't like clichéd happy-endings, but "See this cool guy? We'll kill him of to give you emotions" is starting to feel pretty formulaic, too. I should go watch a movie about flowers and kittens ;)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Telltale proved to me they could still make fantastic episodes with Tales From the Borderlands. Hilarious, action-packed, and pretty self-contained. I really don't know where the story is going to go next. I'll be purchasing this when my paycheck comes in. Hopefully, they can make this one just as great.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
shogunblade said:
Random Argument Man said:
Wait! No PS3 release?

Thy am sadden..
I was saddened too, but it comes out December 9th, so a week after all the major releases for some reason, so don't be too sad, we can follow in the chronicles of Westeros too!
True, but I won't be able to play my PS3 until the 20th of December (At least). I also have my PS3 reserved for Dragon Age Inquisition. Although, I could have a few extra episodes by the time I'm done.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I bought Tales from the Borderlands today on Steam...Think I'll buy this one for Xbone though as selecting menu options with a mouse was a bit more difficult than it should have been since there's such a small time limit on deciding.