Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode Preview - Crafting Something Special

TrishaHershberger

Mar 19, 2015
Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode Preview - Crafting Something Special

Inserting a narrative into a game treasured for its open play structure is a daunting task, but the PAX preview of Telltale?s Minecraft: Story Mode shows a game that delicately balances the two.

Read Full Article

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
This just makes me angry, this isn't programmed in java, the animation quality is actually rather good, there is more than one player model, more player model customization, and chances are they'll release episodes faster than Mojang releases content patches for the actual Minecraft.
Its just so frustrating to see this alongside the actual Minecraft game side by side. I mean if you were to ask somebody unfamiliar to the whole thing which was a spinoff of which they would probably point to the actual Minecraft rather than this.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I always feel a bit of an asshole correcting people online, but knowledge is tyranny and all that. Tales from the borderlands has character customisation at points, though very selective and not a pre-game choice (as far as i'm aware). It may not be enough to count, so perhaps ignore these words. Telltale are on a hell of a streak with writing. How long can this last? Do they have an underground well of infinite talent that they send smelly Jeff down each tuesday with a bucket and a ladle for harvest?

TrishaHershberger

Mar 19, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
I always feel a bit of an asshole correcting people online, but knowledge is tyranny and all that. Tales from the borderlands has character customisation at points, though very selective and not a pre-game choice (as far as i'm aware). It may not be enough to count, so perhaps ignore these words.
Thanks for bringing that up! The character customization in Borderlands must not count because Telltale Marketing is saying "Minecraft: Story Mode will be the first Telltale game series to feature a player character where YOU choose their appearance."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
TrishaHershberger said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I always feel a bit of an asshole correcting people online, but knowledge is tyranny and all that. Tales from the borderlands has character customisation at points, though very selective and not a pre-game choice (as far as i'm aware). It may not be enough to count, so perhaps ignore these words.
Thanks for bringing that up! The character customization in Borderlands must not count because Telltale Marketing is saying "Minecraft: Story Mode will be the first Telltale game series to feature a player character where YOU choose their appearance."
The infallability of marketing gods have struck me down again. Alas, the wills of the masters are too strong. My repainted loader-bot weeps within its' chambers. Don't worry, Loader-bot...it'll be ok. In time. ;)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
sonicneedslovetoo said:
there is more than one player model, more player model customization
You do realize that Minecraft lets you upload your own custom skin and use that, right? Like, not even as a mod; it's an official feature of the game.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Steve the Pocket said:
sonicneedslovetoo said:
there is more than one player model, more player model customization
You do realize that Minecraft lets you upload your own custom skin and use that, right? Like, not even as a mod; it's an official feature of the game.
I know but did you see in the trailer? one of the characters was fatter than the others, the girl has hair dropping down one pixel farther than the second "hat" layer allows and that hair is three dimensional, heck she even had a sticky outy bandana thing on the side of her head while being in line with the art style is impossible without modding.
A lot of the stuff in there looks vaguely like stuff you can do ingame but the last time I made skins ingame you really couldn't make things look nearly as professional as these characters are(on a fine detail level I would imagine you could basically get them down all right ingame) without mods. Some of this is very hard to see and I think I need a better look at the character models(they seem to change in-between shots in the trailer) to properly nail down but I'm pretty sure they're cheating with the models.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm still not completely sold. I might end up getting it and trying it anyway, but I just don't get how a game with pretty much no lore translates to a completely story-driven style of gameplay that Telltale specializes in.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zydrate said:
I'm still not completely sold. I might end up getting it and trying it anyway, but I just don't get how a game with pretty much no lore translates to a completely story-driven style of gameplay that Telltale specializes in.
They're doing the You're The One plot from The LEGO Movie, it doesn't take a lot of creativity.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zydrate said:
They're doing the You're The One plot from The LEGO Movie, it doesn't take a lot of creativity.
Yea but Minecraft has... no... lore. Thus my hesitation.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Zydrate said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Zydrate said:
Yea but Minecraft has... no... lore. Thus my hesitation.
LEGO doesn't exactly have lore either. Somehow the LEGO movie worked, and beautifully at that, so it's possible.

I'm not saying the minecraft game WILL work, but at this point I'm thinking if anyone could pull it off, Telltale would be the developer to do it. I sure as hell didn't think Tales from the Borderlands would work either(and frankly had no interest in it). Now I'm eagerly awaiting the finale of that series.