Telltale's The Walking Dead Grosses $40 Million

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Telltale's The Walking Dead Grosses $40 Million

The Walking Dead's success could help Telltale make its own original property.

Telltale Games' episodic zombie saga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120916-Telltales-Zombie-Epic-Out-December-11th] grossed about $40 million, or the equivalent of 8.5 million episodes sold, since its launch in April 2012. This runaway success, according to Telltale CEO Dan Connors, will help grow the company, and one of the areas of growth Connors is looking at is more original property.

"That would be an area we'd be interested in pushing to grow more there," said Connors, when talking about Telltale's future plans. Or perhaps a partnership with LucasArts could be fun, or something to do with Half Life ... but this is all Connors' wishful thinking, at least for the moment. Telltale's focus is on the next Walking Dead series, which Connors confirms the studio is working on right now.

But what can gamers hope for? Naturally Connors isn't in a hurry to say exactly what's in store, but don't throw away your old saves. "This all remains to be seen," says Connors, "but we are definitely figuring out how to carry the saves over." So your old choices could matter just as much in the second season as they did in the first.

As for which platform you'll see it on, while Connors has great hopes for the iOS mobile space - claiming there's much revenue still to be had there - Connors prefers to concentrate on an all-platform strategy. "It increases the amount of people we're speaking to," says Connors.

Source: Red Bull [http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/04/behind-the-hit-iphone-game-the-walking-dead/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Even if Clem is the protagonist of the next game I can't see many decisions in the first season having much of an impact in the second. I'm interested to see what they come up with nonetheless.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well deserved Telltale, well deserved.
Now put that money to making some more games of this quality, you magnificent stallion.

Dec 14, 2009
I can't see decisions having that much of an impact, maybe some throw away mentions, but still, it's the small things that matter.

They deserve every penny.

Can't wait for season 2.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I suspect Season 2 will have a completely new cast, with Clem and the others showing up for only some key moments(where our previous choices might have some effect).

I hope there's a dog in there somewhere.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
eh... in the grand scheme of things, 40 million isn't a lot of money. I mean yea it's a lot to common folk, but when Blackops2 can gross 500 million in a single day, 40 looks like a drop in the bucket.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I bought this off Steam just yesterday - not because I have any interest in the Walking Dead, which I never have - because I love Telltale's work and it was super cheap and everyone and his grandma are raving about it. Haven't even loaded it up yet but I intend to get around to it soon, I just hope it lives up to the hype.

The show sure as hell didn't, it was facebook drama plus zombies under a greywashed filter.
Opinions.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
And no developer deserves it more.

Would love to see some original IP from them.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
VanQQisH said:
I bought this off Steam just yesterday - not because I have any interest in the Walking Dead, which I never have - because I love Telltale's work and it was super cheap and everyone and his grandma are raving about it. Haven't even loaded it up yet but I intend to get around to it soon, I just hope it lives up to the hype.

The show sure as hell didn't, it was facebook drama plus zombies under a greywashed filter.
Opinions.
It does, trust me. If it wasn't for Spec Ops, I would have easily called The Walking Dead my GOTY 2012.
You forgot to mention the rampant racism and sexism.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
They deserve every bit of this success. Congrats, Telltale.

Although after this much success and attention aimed at them, I really do wonder what Telltale is going to do next. The future is bright for them.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't see decisions having that much of an impact, maybe some throw away mentions, but still, it's the small things that matter.

They deserve every penny.

Can't wait for season 2.
Same here. Congrats to Telltale for their success. It also shows that there is a pretty big market looking for games with engrossing story and characters even at the expense of the gameplay.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm still waiting for Telltale to finish off the Bone series that I paid the first two episodes for. I'm assuming they haven't continued the series?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Well deserved, I'm up to episode 4 at the moment and it's been a hell of a ride so far. Keep up the great work, Telltale.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Can't wait for season 2, it'll be insanely difficult to avoid all the spoilers though. (Don't intend to play it until all the episodes are available.)

Really interested in the talk of a new IP too, wonder what they'll go for? Personally I think a Walking Dead style adventure game with heavy dialogue and story focus would be fantastic in a gothic-fantasy setting like Ravenloft.

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
Does this mean they will fix the PC bug, in which choices don't carry over between episodes, which is affecting hundreds of people of bought the game? No! I am so torn about how much I enjoyed the game and all the hassle I had getting it to work...

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Good - they deserve it.
I'm hoping this will show other companies the right lessons - people will love you if you make a game with good characters, an engaging storyline, and weighty decisions that are more then Good-choice-Evil-choice, but I fear this'll just cause some copycat "Episodic point-and-clicks with QTE" to sprout.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Are there plans to release all the episodes in a compilation? I really don't want to download five seperate episodes every time I want to run through a game.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Good for them. My gf bought this for me for Christmas, I can't even get past the first episode due to it being unplayable.

Guess which company is never getting another dime from my household?