Telltale's "The Wolf Among Us" thread

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Just finished the first episode, can't imagine myself NOT buying the next one. Started reading comics too, interesting stuff.

Horrible ending spoiler:
"The Wolf among us" is a prequel to the comic, and Snow is very much alive there, so there might be more going on here than simple murders. Also, yeah, it's obvious that Faith had some kind of silencing spell put on her, with all the "my lips are sealed" stuff. Her ribbon, which she nicely pointed out to you had a imprint of lips on it as well, and Mirror hinted at this too.

I don't think either girls are dead, and even if they are Woodcutter pretty obviously is not the culprit here (he got an axe to the head, and few ours later was well enough to catch up to Faith, cut off her head, climb over the fence and put it on the stairs? not bloody likely).

Tweedle Dee/Dum are most likely working for the Bluebeard, who has to have some angle in this as well...

Damn, can't wait for next episode...

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
I wish they had done a better job of explaining the rules of the world.
Mr Wolf would know exactly how much punishment a Fable can take before he/she dies.

And yet the first episode had several odd moments- the Woodsman can walk off an axe to the brain like it's nothing but a bullet to the heart killed the Prince? But then it turned out it didn't kill him because apparently, he missed. So it's okay to have your lung shot or brain axed but not your heart? Again, Mr Wolf would *know* these things whereas I do not.

Making decisions without enough information was not a fun experience for me.

Other than that, it was too short. From my experience, when the only complaint I can think of is "it was too short", that means the game was excellent.

Also, this song needs to be mentioned at least once:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRQGm4-A4k

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Played it yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I never read any of the Fables comics, but I find the setting very fascinating, and it makes me interested in seeing what fairy tale characters will pop up and what their character will be like.

Some of the combat QTEs are a little tricky to pull at first, but I got the hang of it.

As for the episode:
I'm not suspecting anyone yet, seeing as it's only the first episode, and I'm waiting to see what other characters they introduce.

I don't think the Woodsman did it. He just seems to sad and pathetic to do something like that. I decided to catch Dee instead. I don't suspect the twins either, but I do suspect that they know something about it, or at least more than the Woodsman.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I'm reading my through the comics and like them so this game looks interesting. Glad to see people are liking it. I guess I'll pick it up them.
5ilver said:
I wish they had done a better job of explaining the rules of the world.
Mr Wolf would know exactly how much punishment a Fable can take before he/she dies.

And yet the first episode had several odd moments- the Woodsman can walk off an axe to the brain like it's nothing but a bullet to the heart killed the Prince? But then it turned out it didn't kill him because apparently, he missed. So it's okay to have your lung shot or brain axed but not your heart? Again, Mr Wolf would *know* these things whereas I do not.

Making decisions without enough information was not a fun experience for me.

Other than that, it was too short. From my experience, when the only complaint I can think of is "it was too short", that means the game was excellent.

Also, this song needs to be mentioned at least once:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRQGm4-A4k
In the comics the fables have varying levels of hardiness depending on how popular stories about them are. So snow's near immortal while her sister rose red isn't. That might be why you getting differences in how much and how fast a character can recover.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Just finished the first episode.

Damn, I think I like this more then TWD, and I really fucking liked TWD.

It's probably the Urban Fantasy/Noir setting. Those are both some of my favourite settings while TWD's zombie apocalypse wasn't that inherently interesting aside from how well written the characters.

My only major complaint was that it didn't set up the setting as well as it should. I was pretty confused as I tried to piece the rules the Fables operate on together. I hope it's expanded on in the next episode.

Gave Faith the Money - Because, you know, it was $60. I highly doubt it will come up later.
Stayed out of the Beauty/Beast Dilemma - I had no clue what was going on, so I decided to avoid doing anything until I knew more
Went to Toad's first - I figured because of the blood Lawrence was, you know, dead. Might as well try and save Toad if he was in danger.
Prime Suspect - Didn't say anything. I didn't know enough to decide.
Arrested Tweedle Dee and let The Woodsman escape - The Woodsman seemed to be more of a lousy drunk then a serial murderer, and since we were knocked out by Dee I guessed he was involved.

Also, that ending. Can't wait to see what happens next. Excited to see apparently we get to fuck with Crane in the next episode, he rated far higher then an "8" on the asshole scale IMO.

Anybody know how to unlock the last Book of Fables entry? I've got all but the last one.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I played through the first chapter and it has the same problems that walking dead had, to little gameplay. I call it an interactive movie, not a game so I kind of dislike it on that point. The linerity also bothers me, at least in walking dead it made sense to have some degree of linerity but it makes a lot less sense when you have a massive city, a farm, and a variety of characters as part of the story. That said, just like the walking dead its got good characterization and a good story going for it (although the first episode seems a bit to short IMO).

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Finished the first episode, and I'm really really looking forward to the next episodes.
While I did love the Walking Dead, I feel like I'm going to like this series a lot more.
I personally haven't seen anything like it in terms of the story and what not, zombies have just been over played etc.

Was I the only one who ripped the monster's arm off in the bar? Cause it was bloody awesome.

And damn, that ending. I really wanted her to survive. :(

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Damn, that was so good. The ending made me so sad, but now I really want to nail the bastard who did that. Can't wait for the rest. It's only the first episode but I already love it more than The Walking Dead. It's my kind of story. Zombies, not so much.

And I absolutely love the title.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
TheSaw said:
Finished the first episode, and I'm really really looking forward to the next episodes.
While I did love the Walking Dead, I feel like I'm going to like this series a lot more.
I personally haven't seen anything like it in terms of the story and what not, zombies have just been over played etc.
I loved The Walking Dead and its characters, but I agree that beyond putting people in a survivalist situation, its setting isn't its strength.

TheSaw said:
Was I the only one who ripped the monster's arm off in the bar? Cause it was bloody awesome.

And damn, that ending. I really wanted her to survive. :(
I figured that this isn't the only time we'll be seeing the bar patrons. I already proved my point leaving a pipe in the guy's shoulder and putting it on Crane's tab.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
That was the first time I fully played through anything done by Telltale and though I really really liked it, daaaamn that was depressing...

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
Chester Rabbit said:
That was the first time I fully played through anything done by Telltale and though I really really liked it, daaaamn that was depressing...
Actually, it was cheerful as a chirpy sunny day by Telltale standards. You should have seen how bleak and heart-breaking Walking Dead game was, especially towards the end.

But yeah, Wolf Among Us has many funny and light-hearted moments which make it easier to pull through. Besides, as a sheriff you can make a change and that fills me with hope for future episodes.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
My prime suspect is that young redheaded man who bumped into Snow White in the office. It looked like his silhouette driving the cab that dropped off Bigby at the bar, too.

Mark my words.

Also, I think the killer's motivation is revenge against the Big Bad Wolf, and he (or she, I guess, if I'm wrong) is attempting to goad him into his old ways in an effort to destroy him and his standing in the community.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
For a story about murder mysteries, there isn't much mystery to it. Well, in the grand scheme of things, the mystery is doing its job: the perpetrator of course is unknown to me, I haven't read the series either (I am now though), but each of the set pieces poses pretty little challenge. Toad, Prince Lawrence, Faith's murder location, and the Woodman have all been insultingly easy to clues to get the story moving in. I'm not expecting an LA Noire style of intense interviews, but I want the game to be more challenging than putting a pointer over all the clues you need to see, and in some cases forcing you to stay at the crime scene if you haven't found all the clues. Also, the dialogue options are so blatant as to when you spot a fallacy in a story. ("I have a feeling you're lying to me" or "Just tell the truth" or "Obviously you were wearing high heels and not boots because of the footprints in the powder" or "...", which do you think you should choose?)

It needs work, but I want to feel like I'm a detective instead of Encyclopedia Brown.

Voice acting is phenomenal. Half the reason you could tell if someone is bullshitting you is by the tone of their voice and their body language, which I have to give huge props to Telltale for. And I love the grimdark Brothers Grimm characters, it's the same premise that made Shrek so fresh and original.

Anyway, spoiler stuff.

I chased after Dee at the end because I believed the Woodsman's plea that he was innocent. One part was, as I said above, the fantastic voice acting he was given made me believe it more than any story he said, and another because that would be way too obvious.

Also, I think most people initially went to save Toad, which I think is a fault on Telltale. The player already met Toad and his call adds a personal level to the urgency of his situation, meanwhile all we had to base off of Prince Lawrence was an image in the mirror and a brief mentioning around two minutes before. I didn't hesitate to go for Toad, even after I saw the bloody dagger and half assumed that meant violence.

Also I didn't really care for Snow's death. She was a comforting and otherwise shining character, but she had nothing going for her other than her distracting TJ for you and reacting to Faith's death. She doesn't have a flawed past like Bigby, or a tiring facade like Toad, or the mystery of Faith, or the conflicting moralities of the Woodsman, or Colin, she was just there, not really interacting with the story other than giving a reason for Bigby to explain something to the audience. And now that she's dead, she's just going to be a reason for Bigby to find the murderer after all. She is, to me, a tool of the plot instead of a character. Really, Beast with his twenty second cameo had more character going for him when he was franticly looking for Beauty.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Also I didn't really care for Snow's death. She was a comforting and otherwise shining character, but she had nothing going for her other than her distracting TJ for you and reacting to Faith's death. She doesn't have a flawed past like Bigby, or a tiring facade like Toad, or the mystery of Faith, or the conflicting moralities of the Woodsman, or Colin, she was just there, not really interacting with the story other than giving a reason for Bigby to explain something to the audience. And now that she's dead, she's just going to be a reason for Bigby to find the murderer after all. She is, to me, a tool of the plot instead of a character. Really, Beast with his twenty second cameo had more character going for him when he was franticly looking for Beauty.
I really liked Snow White's character, and I think she served as a humanising influence on Bigby. They clearly have (had?) a rapport and mutual respect that was beginning to blossom into something more. Her (apparent?) death gives Bigby a deeply personal incentive to catch the murderer, and provides fodder for the future in regards to his inner struggle to keep his more beastly nature at bay. Plus, every Holmes needs a Watson.

I agree that it would have been better if Telltale had provided more urgency to Lawrence's situation. Maybe shown him actively bleeding and writhing or something. I, along with the majority I suspect, assumed he was a lost cause.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I liked the first episode of the Wolf Among Us a lot, and will now use this post as a place to state my crazy speculations.

My theory is that the killer isn't the Woodsman, Bluebeard, or the pimp. It should be obvious why it's not the pimp, he would have no reason to kill Snow White. It can't be the Woodman, as he was with you when Snow got killed. Or, at least he wouldn't be able to get to her quickly enough. And Bluebeard has no motivation to kill people and display their heads publicly, he's got all the power already. If he killed someone it would be discreet.

I think that it's the Headless Horseman doing this, and he's coming to kill Ichabod Crane, who's the protagonist in the headless horseman fable. He's slowly killing people around Ichabod to torture him until he comes to kill him. The fact that Bigby is blaming the Woodsman/Bluebeard/the pimp is just convenient for the horseman. The one thing that confuses me is the red head guy who shows up everywhere. Maybe he's the horseman's human form?

Of course I'm probably a mile off.

In other news, I'm looking forward to the Beauty and Beast plot getting more attention next episode.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
I've got one word for the ending: Glamour. I love this game and the fact that it isn't so dang grim dark like TWD was. Everything in TWD just seemed hopeless, and yes, I know its supposed to be that way, zombies out number the living and there is very little hope left, I get that. I guess I just needed a game with more lightheartedness to it, its dark yes, but its also funny and upbeat in all the right ways. :D

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm very tempted by the game because I love the comic series but given the utter lack of support for The Walking Dead (360) by TellTale, I'm not sure I want to take another chance.

I'm still unable to play The Walking Dead because of the 'Storage Device Lost' error and the only thing TellTale seem to have done about it is remove most of the posts about the subject from the help section of their forum.

Some folk on the xbox.com forum have also reported that their saves are vanishing when they return to play, an error that plagued TWD too, so it is not a comforting sign.

Now I know I have the option to buy the game on the PS3 or PC but it just feels wrong to buy it when TellTale gave up on their previous game.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
I loved it. Probably more than TWD. The setting is way more unique for me. And if they kill Toad or his kid, I am going to be severely depressed.

Anyway my prime suspect: (Possibly major, major spoilers)

The young ginger guy who is everywhere, spotted several times following Bigby, and he is also the cab driver last seen with Snow. His tie has shepherds crooks/canes on it,and as we know, these characters have clues on their clothing to who they are. Just as Snow Whites flakes on her collar. This is very likely to be the Boy Who Cried Wolf, and as we know, Bigby is in that story too. The last three chapters are named A Crooked Mile, In Sheeps Clothing and Cry Wolf. He has something to do with all this, if he is the killer or a tool remains to be seen, but there is magic involved and he probably isn't capable of that.

It could also be a red herring, who knows.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
nymz said:
I loved it. Probably more than TWD. The setting is way more unique for me. And if they kill Toad or his kid, I am going to be severely depressed.

The young ginger guy who is everywhere, spotted several times following Bigby, and he is also the cab driver last seen with Snow. His tie has shepherds crooks/canes on it,and as we know, these characters have clues on their clothing to who they are. Just as Snow Whites flakes on her collar. This is very likely to be the Boy Who Cried Wolf, and as we know, Bigby is in that story too. The last three chapters are named A Crooked Mile, In Sheeps Clothing and Cry Wolf. He has something to do with all this, if he is the killer or a tool remains to be seen, but there is magic involved and he probably isn't capable of that.

Yay, someone agrees with me! Good call on his identity, I hadn't thought of that. Makes perfect sense.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
Gill Kaiser said:
nymz said:

Yay, someone agrees with me! Good call on his identity, I hadn't thought of that. Makes perfect sense.
I am quite sure that either they are trying to mess with us, or Telltale put him there because they want us to notice. Either way, I'm super-psyched for Episode 2 now! It is named Smoke and Mirrors, which could imply a lot of magic, illusion and mind-fuckery. If this episode 2 is as balls-out as TWDs second episode was, then I think we're in for a treat.

Captcha: I like you!
I like you too!