Ten Man Team Aces Quake In Under an Hour

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
You guys need to learn to read. The hacking tools used here were not for "cheating" or for doing anything that you couldn't do yourself if you were sitting down simply plying the game. In fact, the tools were used to make the overall speed run MORE like a single sit-down session at the game rather than a collection of demos strung together.

If you just make a speed run by stringing a bunch of demos together, what happens is that speedrunner A makes a demo of level 2 and ends the level with 40 hp. Speedrunner B makes a demo of level 3 and starts the level with 60 hp, and before picking up any health boxes, loses 50 hp for whatever reason. If both demos end up in the speed run, this speed run is now actually not legitimate because this would have been impossible if you were actually sitting down at the game playing it start to finish. The hacking tools are merely used to make the speed run legitimate by setting the health and ammo at the start of level 3 to the health and ammo at the end of level 2, creating continuity over the course of the speed run as a whole.

tl;dr the "hacking tools" are NOT CHEATING IN ANY WAY, and you should learn to actually read things before you jump to conclusions.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
SupahGamuh said:
Generic Gamer said:
There's also some significant graphical mods on this version, did they list those in the changes?
Judging from the video, they used nQuake with some neat texture packs for the monsters. But if you want some serious overhaul for Quake 1, try Darkplaces with it's hi-res texture pack, it looks insanely good, it almost looks even better than Doom 3.

OT: Wow, that's way more impressive than the already old "world record speedrun", killing every single monster and uncovering every single secret, on Nightmare under 50 minutes... I'm speechless...
I use Darkplaces with a texture pack for the monsters from Quake Reforged, when I say this is a favourite of mine I mean I still play it regularly. You seen that Reforged project? Some of the enemies look stupendous!
I'll give Reforged a try, I've been looking for a texture pack for those ugly monsters. I use both nQuake and Darkplaces. I use nQuake for multiplayer and sometimes to play singleplayer in my laptop and Darkplaces (with music) for singleplayer only.

Spectere

Oct 21, 2008
In Quake, you cannot do multilevel demos without splitting the DEM file. Furthermore, if you have multiple people collaborating on the file, they would wind up starting each level with 100% health, a shotgun, and 50 ammo. While there certainly are runs like this (such as COMPET-N in the world of Doom), Quake Done Quick has never been about single level runs. QDQ has always been about a straight, collaborative run through the game, as if a single person were sitting down at the keyboard and playing the game from start to finish. The QDQ team (and people who do QDQ-style runs) are just making a string of demos that matches Quake's normal behavior between levels.

This can be for better or for worse. On one hand, the rocket launcher you pick up at the end of one level can be used at the beginning of the next level. However, ending one level with 50% health (FYI, if you have less, Quake kindly sets you your health to 50% at the start of the next level) and no armor might prevent you from doing a time-saving grenade-rocket jump in the beginning of the next level. As such, this type of run requires a great deal of teamwork between the people who are doing the run to ensure that each runner has what he/she needs to save as much time as possible on a given level. On one of the QDQ runs, for instance, a runner had to go out of his way to grab a health kit in order for the runner of the next level to do a particular rocket jump that overall saved more time than skipping the health kit.

Long story short, don't act like these "hacking tools" (which is nothing more than a QuakeC mod that lets you set your starting inventory before switching levels) are cheating. All they are doing is allowing the runners to emulate how Quake actually works between level transitions.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Analogy said:
You guys need to learn to read. The hacking tools used here were not for "cheating" or for doing anything that you couldn't do yourself if you were sitting down simply plying the game. In fact, the tools were used to make the overall speed run MORE like a single sit-down session at the game rather than a collection of demos strung together.

If you just make a speed run by stringing a bunch of demos together, what happens is that speedrunner A makes a demo of level 2 and ends the level with 40 hp. Speedrunner B makes a demo of level 3 and starts the level with 60 hp, and before picking up any health boxes, loses 50 hp for whatever reason. If both demos end up in the speed run, this speed run is now actually not legitimate because this would have been impossible if you were actually sitting down at the game playing it start to finish. The hacking tools are merely used to make the speed run legitimate by setting the health and ammo at the start of level 3 to the health and ammo at the end of level 2, creating continuity over the course of the speed run as a whole.

tl;dr the "hacking tools" are NOT CHEATING IN ANY WAY, and you should learn to actually read things before you jump to conclusions.
justify it all you want, simple fact is they didnt just turn on the game and ran through it quick time.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Analogy said:
You guys need to learn to read. The hacking tools used here were not for "cheating" or for doing anything that you couldn't do yourself...

...tl;dr the "hacking tools" are NOT CHEATING IN ANY WAY, and you should learn to actually read things before you jump to conclusions.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the bolded statement. So being able to carry over guns and ammunition from previous levels isn't, in any way, cheating, when the game specifically doesn't allow that to be done normally? I'm sorry, but forcing the game to do something that was never programmed in the game itself is the very definition of cheating/hacking. You, sir, need to get a straight head on.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the bolded statement. So being able to carry over guns and ammunition from previous levels isn't, in any way, cheating, when the game specifically doesn't allow that to be done normally?
You never played Quake, did you?

Nadiril

Dec 28, 2008
You do carry over weapons and ammo in a real quake game, this is basically copying the save file to everyone each level if you get what i mean, this in no way detracts from the actual accomplishment.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
V8 Ninja said:
Analogy said:
You guys need to learn to read. The hacking tools used here were not for "cheating" or for doing anything that you couldn't do yourself...

...tl;dr the "hacking tools" are NOT CHEATING IN ANY WAY, and you should learn to actually read things before you jump to conclusions.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the bolded statement. So being able to carry over guns and ammunition from previous levels isn't, in any way, cheating, when the game specifically doesn't allow that to be done normally? I'm sorry, but forcing the game to do something that was never programmed in the game itself is the very definition of cheating/hacking. You, sir, need to get a straight head on.
The playthrough is done in several parts by several people, so the hack only ensures that 1) the exact amount of weapons and ammo transfers from one level to the next and b) the exact amount of health transfers from one level to the next. Just like they would if you actually did the game on one sitting. If the team (a collection of people from really distant places from each other) didn't use the hack, the beginning variables from one level to the next would be wildly different. Essentially, the reason they used the hack was to make the playthrough seem more legit, not less.

EDIT: It seems Spectere above explained this far better than I could've so go read his post instead of mine.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Woe Is You said:
V8 Ninja said:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the bolded statement. So being able to carry over...
The playthrough is done in several parts by several people, so the hack only ensures that 1) the exact amount of weapons and ammo transfers from one level to the next and b) the exact amount of health transfers from one level to the next. Just like they would if you actually did the game on one sitting. If the team (a collection of people from really distant places from each other) didn't use the hack, the beginning variables from one level to the next would be wildly different. Essentially, the reason they used the hack was to make the playthrough seem more legit, not less.
Oh, my brain must have stopped functioning when I saw this news story. I thought originally that Quake took away all of the fancy weapons that you had gathered after you beat the level, but it appears that my game-ology was a little rusty there. I guess I'll just stay quiet on this subject for now.

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
V8 Ninja said:
*facepalm*

IT DOES NORMALLY LET YOU CARRY OVER HP AND AMMO FROM PREVIOUS LEVELS. Have you even played Quake? Or ANY first person shooter?

The reason the tool is necessary here is twofold:

a) Each level of the speed run can be run by a different person at different times (i.e. the run of an "earlier" level that ends up being used could have actually been done later) so it is difficult to coordinate exactly how much health and ammo to leave at the end of the level for the beginning of the next.

b) If you boot up Quake to work on the speed run of a specific level, you're not going to play all the way from the beginning to get to that level, you're going to just boot up the map, give yourself whatever weapons are appropriate for that point in the game, and start running trials.

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
justify it all you want, simple fact is they didnt just turn on the game and ran through it quick time.
There are speed runs which do that, but they are a separate category. Quake Done Quick is a "segmented" speed run, in which you attempt to record the best time for each individual level. The run in this video is further differentiated by being a "100%" run, in which the runners must kill every enemy and open every single secret room.

There are "single segment" speed runs in which you much play the entire game start to finish in one sitting. None of these are considered "better" or "more legitimate" than the others, it's closer to the difference between the 100 meter dash and the 100 meter hurdles. They're simply separate events with their own unique properties.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
@Anology If you look above your post, you'll notice something peculiar...hmm...I wonder who posted that? =P

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
Stunning. Blasting spawn points ahead of time, firing off a couple of nades and just knowing the enemy you just ran past is toast, it's all amazing. Obviously took a ridiculous amount of work but impressive non the less.