Tera Unveils the $25 DLC Horse

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tera Unveils the $25 DLC Horse

Tera players with deep pockets may now ride in serious (and seriously expensive) style.

Do you play Tera? Do you have 25 bucks in your pocket for which you absolutely cannot find a worthwhile use? Then boy oh boy, do I have some good news for you: you can blow it on a horse.

A fake digital horse, mind, but not just any fake digital horse. This is the Night Mare! "Tired of loping along on your bay gelding? Do BAMs laugh as you gallop past on a blue roan? Now you can strike fear into the hearts of your enemies as you charge into battle atop this gorgeous Night Mare!" the Tera blog [http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/night-mare] says. "For $24.99, the Night Mare lets you take a level in badass as you ride into battle. While non-tradable and non-sellable, all characters under one account can use the Night Mare, from level one onward!"

As a non-Tera player myself, what interests me most about all this is the "for $24.99" bit. Remember when the world flipped its nut over Bethesda's $2.50 Oblivion [http://www.elderscrolls.com/oblivion/dlc/]? Seems kind of quaint now, doesn't it? And also not entirely out of line, either; a ten percent markup to keep your shiny new horse from being mauled by the first swamp troll you meet seems pretty fair to me.

On the other hand, paying half the price of the game - the standard edition of of Tera is $49.99 on Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Masse-Entertainment-Inc-41003Tera-Online1/dp/B007RIGE12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340808336&sr=8-1&keywords=Tera] - for a flashy ride is a little nuts, too. Would you do it? If the answer is yes, or even maybe, you might want to get a move on, because this flaming, four-legged bad boy is only available until June 30.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Oh, I thought Tera was a subscription based MMO~? The $25 mount sounds more like something you'd be expected to pay for in a free to play MMO and even then, you'd usually expect there to be cheaper alternatives.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
And Blizzard sold far above their expectations for their $25 rainbow pony [us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000942]. It's a little odd that you didn't link that here as well... Although that didn't exactly create that much anger from memory.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Much much better than the cash shop horses in LOTRO. In LOTRO not only are they not as fancy as that one (though they are certainly generally more appropriate to the lore) but they are single character only. At least with the Tera horse for about the same price, you get it on every character. You buy one in LOTRO and you get it for the character you buy it for and that's it.

That said, I highly doubt I'd buy a cash shop mount in either game.

Jayse

Sep 22, 2009
Gather said:
And Blizzard sold far above their expectations for their $25 rainbow pony [us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000942]. It's a little odd that you didn't link that here as well... Although that didn't exactly create that much anger from memory.
It created lot's of anger in the community. I remember huge threads of anal pain on the general forums but it wasn't a huge deal or very big news for anyone outside of the WoW community.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Yes, this was done in WoW already. Not saying it's right, but it's unfair to single out Tera.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
wizzy555 said:
Yes, this was done in WoW already. Not saying it's right, but it's unfair to single out Tera.
WoW didn't make a lot of news with it outside of the community though. The community shat itself over it though, just as the TERA community is at each other throats about another item in the cash shop. The weapon skins had the official forums ablaze for about a week.

because this flaming, four-legged bad boy is only available until June 30.
There is nothing there that states that. The weapon skins are available until the 30th.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Danzavare said:
Oh, I thought Tera was a subscription based MMO~? The $25 mount sounds more like something you'd be expected to pay for in a free to play MMO and even then, you'd usually expect there to be cheaper alternatives.
It is, but it also has a way to add game time to your account by buying an in-game item with in-game gold, so I think this is a way to make up for some lost profit.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Gather said:
Sparkle pony. There ain't no rainbows anywhere.

Also it's a pretty cool mount. I often ride it with my Celestial Serpent pet out, because that shit matches, yo.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
A $25 horse?

OT: Subscription based gaming has never been so epic.

Can't wait to try TERA when it goes F2P.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Jayse said:
Gather said:
It created lot's of anger in the community. I remember huge threads of anal pain on the general forums but it wasn't a huge deal or very big news for anyone outside of the WoW community.
Pretty much anything would generate huge threads of internet anger on the WoW forums. For what it was (a mount the price of the original game), the response was surprisingly muted.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, at least it's not as useless as a stupid $70 monocle.

C'mon people, I'm dissapointed by your apparent short span memory, Blizzard has already got away with it's $25 celestial steed, why is anybody even susprised by this?.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Danzavare said:
It is, but it also has a way to add game time to your account by buying an in-game item with in-game gold, so I think this is a way to make up for some lost profit.
It'd make sense. Those they'd stand to gain most money from could probably afford the gold price. I'm curious to see how they'll last long-term with a gold for time feature. It sounds generous, I just don't know how practical it'll be.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
if i were to buy that night mare, i would name it Mare Imbrium

(cookie if you know the meaning, bigger one if you know where it is, the biggest, if you know which series of novels i am referencing)

Viper114

Dec 3, 2008
This is hardly surprising considering how WoW has three mounts for sale out now, each one costing $25 to buy. TERA's just trying to get the same thing and see if their $25 mount can earn them a few million dollars like the WoW mounts have. Wouldn't hold my breath...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Mark my words, if I'm ever a part of an MMO dev team, I will, single-handedly create a super-epic horse mount and sell it for $1.

Really, why are MMO cash shops always so damned expensive?