Terms of Service: Wait, what did I agree on again?

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
"Terms of Service: Please read before continu-"

*I Agree*

Let's be honest here; Terms of Services everywhere don't get a lot of lovin' for their sheer size and really fancy usage of words. We people usually don't want to spend 10 minutes on reading and decyphering something we'll probably never see again.

But what exactly did you agree on? What are you allowed to do and what not?

Bring in Term of Service; Didn't Read [http://tos-dr.info/], a website dedicated to unraveling the towers of text you thoughtlessly abided to and giving you the pros and cons of each. They also rate what they find on a scale of good or bad, helpful or restricting.

It doesn't have a lot of content on it yet, but it already shows a few popular sites having quite the restricting contract. For instance, you can't delete your Rapidshare, Skype, Google, Steam or WhatsApp account. Facebook has a broad copyright license on anything you submit, Twitpic outright takes credit for your content and Flickr won't allow you to cancel a Pro account. All this (and the good/informative stuff) is put in their own neat little menu under the judged application or website.

The project could need some extra manpower, so get involved [http://tos-dr.info/get-involved.html] and help everyone understanding the Terms and Conditions!

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Segadroid said:
Let's be honest here; Terms of Services everywhere don't get a lot of lovin' for their sheer size and really fancy usage of words. We people usually don't want to spend 10 minutes on reading and decyphering something we'll probably never see again.
It's written in incomprehensible legalese. Dangerous stuff to play around with for us mortals.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
The good news is that a good deal (no idea how much) of what you 'agreed' to in the Terms of Service very well might get shot down if it ever reached a court of law.

Or not.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
The only terms of service I read are for Steam whenever it updates. I remember very little of what I read, but I still take the time to read it. Breaking the terms of service for a single game or website and the punishment is a ban but no legal action? That's fine. Losing access to every game I have on steam? Not so fine.

The concept of that website seems like a fairly good idea, but I am curious what would happen if a company tried to sneak something painful-for-the-user into their terms and this website called them on it.