Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Dusty Pancakes said:
MrTub said:
I honestly do not understand how Andy chalk is still employed by escapist.. Unless Escapistmagazine think its fine to have a contributor lying and trolling the forum.
I don't see any examples of lying and trolling. First paragraph says Terraria is a big hit and the dev said it would hit it's final bug fix cause he was having a son. (plus stuff about being a better designer/programmer)
Terraria was a pretty big hit as far as indie PC games go
creator Andrew Spinks said he had a new son on the way
Then it says there was an announcement, but people weren't happy about it.
but it's safe to say that the "joy" part of the equation is out the window.
Then it says the facebook page is full of angry people because they think it's a cash grab and that there isn't any indication of more content for PC.
the majority of the anger seems to be directed at the developer's decision to release a "cash grab" console version rather than a proper update for the PC. Fueling that rage is the fact that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions will feature extra content, but there's been no indication that the new material, whatever it may be, will be released for the PC.
Then it says there's some people on the page who aren't angry and people who are overreacting are filling up the page.
There has been some pushback from gamers who think the outraged reaction has gone too far(~~~)but overall, doom, gloom and idiot rage rule the roost.
So he's not trolling and he's not lying.
...Yeah, I read the facebook page. That stuff is ridiculous.
Try reading an article from him about piracy.

And fyi he changed the article from this "The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I, like pretty much every single PC gamer commenting before me in here, think it's fine that the consoles get their version of Terraria. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but that that version would get extra content we don't?.. that doesn't sit right with me. Pretty much for the same reason the PS3 might not getting the Skyrim DLCs didn't sit right with PS3 gamers.

(Does that make PS3 gamers "insecure" like PC gamers apparantly were before you changed your post, Andy?)

If you commit to a platform, you commit to it fully or make it known up front, on the box or frontpage, that the extra stuff might not be available. It's only fair.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
"[pc gamers] once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community"

maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounded pretty asinine towards pc gamers. the reason the PC terraria gamers are upset is because the development stopped abruptly some time ago, which buyers were under the impression there would be lots of forthcoming content updates as in Minecraft. they were, to say the least, feeling a bit putout by all of that. now we come to find that they were not only working on bringing the title to the consoles, which would be fine on its own, but with MORE content than the PC? that's where people feel betrayed. not because they feel elitist or entitled. I am actually pretty disappointed and shocked by the lack of subject comprehension from this article. if I wanted a shallow one sided report, I'd just watch Fox.

I am both a pc and console gamer. I welcome the title to the consoles, but I'm also aggravated that pc owners of the title get shafted. it all feels just a little shady.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Coffinshaker said:
"[pc gamers] once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community"

maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounded pretty asinine towards pc gamers. the reason the PC terraria gamers are upset is because the development stopped abruptly some time ago, which buyers were under the impression there would be lots of forthcoming content updates as in Minecraft. they were, to say the least, feeling a bit putout by all of that. now we come to find that they were not only working on bringing the title to the consoles, which would be fine on its own, but with MORE content than the PC? that's where people feel betrayed. not because they feel elitist or entitled. I am actually pretty disappointed and shocked by the lack of subject comprehension from this article. if I wanted a shallow one sided report, I'd just watch Fox.

I am both a pc and console gamer. I welcome the title to the consoles, but I'm also aggravated that pc owners of the title get shafted. it all feels just a little shady.
It's sarcasm this is what he really thinks

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"" which he changed to "respected and beloved" since people were complaining

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Well now that's just silly. It seems like every other week there's something driving a percentage of PC gamers off the deep end. Can that seriously just stop? I'd understand if the devs were like "lol, pc gamers just pirate games and act superior" but they're not; they were legitimately happy to announce that more people can play a great game. And, as per usual on the internet, some sort of crusade against the tyranny of...absolutely nothing, must begin. It's getting ridiculous.

Anyways, i'd be excessively surprised if this new content came to consoles and not PC as well. It has to be developed on PC first anyways, so they'd just be missing out on some potential sales from late-comers to the game if they didn't do that.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Andy Chalk said:
PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community
Quick! Insert a stereotypical jab at PC Gamers!

[sub]wait a minute bro, that's MY thing![/sub]

[sub] Mine Too![/sub]

Were we expected to care about Terraria?

How to put this. It's

Not

Very

Good.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Honestly I know allot of terraria players. I AM a terraria player and until I read this I had no idea there was an uproar. Is this basically a false article overhyping a bunch of stupid people shouting loudly cause to be quite honest nobody gives a fuck as far as my personal circle goes. Nobody I have talked to in any community so far has even uttered a single word about terraria.

Basically this is the escapist nerd baiting as they do all the time with their titles. Just ignore it and move on. The 500 people that are really sad enough to be mad about a game that has basically outlived it's time on PC is switching to different platforms should not be given the attention their parents obviously never gave them. Neither should the Escapist be rewarded for their continued disingenuous practices.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
CriticKitten said:
NvrPhazed said:
CriticKitten said:
Andy Chalk said:
The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something.
SNIP
Holy hell chill out dude. It was just a joke. Everyone knows not everyone is the same. It is just funny to poke fun at some stereotypes and generalizations, but by reading your post, you have obviously no sense of humor or you read way too much into things.
I actually do have a sense of humor.

But that doesn't mean Carlos Mencia is funny, and all he does is reiterate stereotype jokes (and what jokes he has that don't rely on stereotypes, he took from other better comedians). Reiterating a stereotype just to be "funny" isn't funny. It's stupid and it's still offensive. And in this case, especially ignorant since I'm sure everyone in this thread can name elitist console or even elitist mobile/casual gamers that they personally know. The fact of the matter is, this whole "PC gamers are entitled elitists" thing isn't even an accurate stereotype (it'd be more accurate to place the stereotype on ALL gamers). PC gamers have higher standards because they've been raised by the gaming market to expect more out of their PC games, it's really that simple and there's nothing actually wrong with having standards realistic of your chosen medium of gaming. If you were used to watching TV on a 42 inch flatscreen at home, you'd probably be just a tad miffed if you went to a hotel and were forced to watch TV on a 12 inch black-and-white TV with three available channels. Especially if the bill is pretty high. Standards and expectations are not an inherently bad thing to have.

Furthermore, the author clearly didn't research the topic very well since this entire thread is full of PC gamers saying how they're happy for console gamers. It's been that, and also people like myself pointing out that most people are more angry about the fact that the game was abandoned with unfulfilled promises so that they could slap together a console version with exclusive content, which comes across as sort of a dick move by the devs. Not exactly the "PC gamers are massive dicks who want Terraria to be exclusive to consoles for no good reason" argument that Andy is clearly trying to make here. In fact, it sounds to me like they have every reason to be pissed off.

And yet Andy is throwing in these "elitist" comments. So either:
1) This is his own opinion being inserted into the article to cloud and confuse the issue (which speaks ill of his journalistic integrity; or
2) This is a poorly delivered and very unfunny joke, which means this entire article is pointless to begin with (because why would he write an article complaining about PC gamers complaining on Facebook, if he was just joking about PC gamers being elitists?).

Frankly, people should be mad. This is a bad article. Poorly researched, poorly worded, poorly analyzed. It's spin of the most obvious and lazy sort. Basically, this article is him trying to throw PC gamers under the "elitist" label (again) with a poorly researched article. It's stupid, it's unfunny, and it's bad journalism.

But just watch, he'll reply claiming that our valid complaints about his comments are "proof" that PC gamers are elitist pricks by the magic of confirmation bias. If he replies at all, that is. Just you watch. He's done this PC-bashing garbage before, and it's long since gotten old.

Captcha: learn from mistakes
If only Andy would do that. But no, we get to settle for him turning every one of his articles into a PC-bashing rant.
That has to be one of the best posts of this thread. Seriously you took every point I was about to bring right out of my mouth. Also could you post the link about the piracy article you were referring too? If you are also sick of these types of articles you should do as I did and write to the editor. This type of D grade journalism shouldn't stand.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
MrTub said:
It's sarcasm this is what he really thinks

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"" which he changed to "respected and beloved" since people were complaining
wow... well that's much worse than just being derisive. very disappointed in the Escapist for letting this sort of crud through their editorial filters. lots of bad decisions going on here.

also, why is there such a divide between pc and console gamers? we're all gamers here! isn't that enough?

but to put it into perspective for the folks that don't understand the issue here... it'd be like if Microsoft released Halo 4 for PCs, but with tons of extra exclusive content for free after saying they wouldn't make any more dlcs or content for the consoles. yeah, a lot of people would be pissed and for good reason.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
let me some up my opinion on this with this; I got my monies worth out of teraria. so i fail to see why people are up in arms that the devs, having put a lot of work into the game, and coming out and saying there will be no new updates, have decided to re-release the game on another console, this in no ways impacts the Pc crowd or there game, its a port its going to be nothing new in this game and you cannot honestly say that you didnt get your £5 or mostly likely less out of the game.

would i like more update to terraria, yes, yes i would, am i going to spit my dummy out because the devs have finished with the game and are making it multi platform, fuck no.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Andy Chalk said:
PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community

He already did that. He has since changed it after we called him on it. Unless that is a joke on what happened already, for which I apologize for wasting your time.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ResonanceSD said:
Andy Chalk said:

He already did that. He has since changed it after we called him on it. Unless that is a joke on what happened already, for which I apologize for wasting your time.

What, it was worse than that before?

Right, I thought that passive-aggressive sarcastic jab WAS the joke. what was it before?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
ResonanceSD said:
Andy Chalk said:

Right, I thought that passive-aggressive sarcastic jab WAS the joke. what was it before?
Used to be this

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Was that the game that was like a 2d minecraft?

Eh who cares.
Also yes PC gamers are real snots.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Most of the comments can't be printed here (it gets a little swear-y),
Fucking really? Well shit-god-damn! I didn't realize this forum was big on censorship! Sorry, but I find this statement to be pretty funny considering this site hosts such clean-cut features like Zero Punctuation, Jimquisition, and Critical Miss. :p (to clarify, this is a joke, I understand that such language isn't used in the actual articles around here)

Anyways, I can see where their anger is coming from...I'd be pretty upset too if one of my favorite games was going to debut on a new gaming system with features and content not available for the gaming system I had the game for. Still, I can only imagine that such content will eventually make it's way to the PC...if it doesn't, then I'd actually say that their anger (perhaps not their rage, if you see the difference) is justified.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
MrTub said:
ResonanceSD said:

Used to be this

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"
Hah, nice. I thought the writers who work for MY company pushed the envelope occasionally.

Welp, yet another writer to avoid

Devoneaux said:
Glad to see Mr. Chalk is maintaining his Fox News mindset of pointlessly inciting his audience with snide little comments.
I work for News Corp in Australia. Not even we're this blatant.

dtgenshiken7

Aug 4, 2011
Well, I'm not quite sure how to respond to this...

On one hand you have the argument of the PC gamers, which is much like the Minecraft argument: If it was developed for PC, keep it there, regardless of the developers money. (Wait, that's just kneecapping myself. Good thing I don't really support them.)

There is also the promised updates, which are going to take even longer now that they have to deal with this whole new range of problems, Dealing with new bugs that are inevitably going to appear, learning to deal with an almost entirely different target market and so on.

On the other hand, you have the console gamers, who would be very glad that they can now try this blockbuster, and power to them! Personally, I think that the whole "If it was designed for a PC it's gonna be out of it's depth on a console" argument cannot be applied here, Terraria just does not have the necessary controls to justify that.

And then you have the Dev team, who are just riding on the back of the gravy train right now, thinking "Let's expand to a wider audience and make MORE MONEY!"

Really, I don't see all the cause for this hubbub, it's a simple crossover that is easily ignored, and simply attacked by rabid PC gamers convinced that there is no such thing as a good console. Or just looking for something to argue over, either or.