Terrifying Mega Beedrill And Majestic Mega Pidgeot Revealed For Pokemon OR/AS

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Scrythe said:
Laser Priest said:
Scrythe said:
Remember when Digimon came out in the States and everyone claimed it was just a Pokemon ripoff, despite massively transparent differences?

So Pokemon are now Mega-Digivolving, yeah?
How is it at all ripping off digivolving? It's just another stage of evolution. Which IIRC, Pokemon was doing already.
I never said that.

I was pointing out the blatant similarities between the properties coupled with the bickering accusations of between fandoms.

Yes, I realize that there are vast differences between the series as a whole, but the evolution mechanic boils down to the same basic concept of "upping the power level". I just found it amusing that Pokemon fans give Digimon shit for "And then we discovered we can go one level higher" thread, when Pokemon does the exact same shit.

Besides, it's not just those properties that do it. You can find the same concept in Dragonball Z or s-CRY-ed or Kill la Kill or Super Sentai whetever the hell is popular these days.

I'm not saying this concept is bad in any way, but let's not throw baseless accusations of theft when it's a common Japanese trope.
ehh back when they were at their prime, Pokemon didn't really do the "upping the power level thing". It couldn't, mainly because pokemon had preset perameters in that there was a big list of them and their capabilites: The Original 151. You already knew the capabilites of a pokemon from the get go, and they couldn't just inexplicebly pull new ones out of the blue for the sake of it.

Besides, pokemon don't really get given new /evolutions/ very often. Usually it's for balance reasons. If it's for other reasons then it's baby pokemon, which isn't really upping the power level.

Laser Priest said:
Scrythe said:
I never said that.

I was pointing out the blatant similarities between the properties coupled with the bickering accusations of between fandoms.

Yes, I realize that there are vast differences between the series as a whole, but the evolution mechanic boils down to the same basic concept of "upping the power level". I just found it amusing that Pokemon fans give Digimon shit for "And then we discovered we can go one level higher" thread, when Pokemon does the exact same shit.

Besides, it's not just those properties that do it. You can find the same concept in Dragonball Z or s-CRY-ed or Kill la Kill or Super Sentai whetever the hell is popular these days.

I'm not saying this concept is bad in any way, but let's not throw baseless accusations of theft when it's a common Japanese trope.
No offense but the whole complaint seems pointless to me then. And the way you phrased it, it sounded like you were accusing pokemon of ripping off of Digimon.

Plus, it goes beyond just the evolution and into the cutesy monsters that (at least in the shows) fight alongside their child trainer-type people.
In his defence, Mega Evolution is pretty similar to Digivolving, it's not like regular pokemon evolution. But then Digimon faded out a loong time ago

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Laser Priest said:
No offense but the whole complaint seems pointless to me then. And the way you phrased it, it sounded like you were accusing pokemon of ripping off of Digimon.

Plus, it goes beyond just the evolution and into the cutesy monsters that (at least in the shows) fight alongside their child trainer-type people.
A fair point, I'll admit.

Still, I find it equal parts hilarious and tragic how the two fandoms butt heads over what's essentially the same mechanic, even though they are both for different audiences.

Having said that, it's not impossible to enjoy both. Hell, I did for a small chunk of my childhood.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
hehe, nice.

I'm a fan of Pidgeot-evolutionary line, and tend to have one in my team (Often named 'Prunelle' because that hair...)
Now just gimme mega-Crobat and I'll be happy, ok?

Jan 18, 2012
The more I hear about these games, the more excited I get! (which is the exact opposite reaction I have to any news I hear about the Superman/Batman movie.) While these new megas look cool, I have to wonder; are the mega forms of Latios/Latias supposed to look identical or is there some subtle difference I'm missing?

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
why do people mention mega evolutions to be ripping off digimon. Like, what the hell is so wrong with digimon? as long as all Pokemon dont end up evolving into some type of greymon im good. (seriously doe whats with all the roads leading to greymon, it was annoying.)