Terrorism Victim Gets Cybernetic Arm

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Blayze said:
as well as avoiding the infection and pressure sores that have occurred with previous attempts to fuse metal and bone.
Fantastic. That -- as far as I see it -- was the biggest obstacle that needed to be overcome.
agreed, im stuck wondering how... i mean the very thought of fusing it to the bone would cause all kinds of internal complications alone. must have been a delicate process indeed

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I've seen Appleseed Ex Machina [Appleseed Ex:Machina], and ignoring the inherent issues dealt with in the course of the plot, I saw nothing wrong with the society created - only the issues produced by a lack of caution in their implementation, and allowing singular individuals to control or manipulate such technology. The danger is also the same issue we have now in the internet with spambot-viruses running amok; the internet was (and the devices that connect to it were) never designed with safeguards against such things.

Also, that movie uses just about every cyberpunk, postcyberpunk, and general trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Appleseed?from=Main.AppleseedExMachina] it can get its cybernetic hands on. It's a jenga-block tower of cliches that comes together perfectly. :D

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
Living in the past ppl!

cybernetic arms! pfft just grow it back! watch this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7354458.stm

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Hooray for Cybernetic limbs!

I know they already made a cybernetic eye that attaches to the retina and has a camera where the lens used to be, which I might add can see in infared (super sweet). Now they are working the kinks out of fusing metal to bone without complications.

It can't be long until someone figures out how to attach to the nerves and give direct brain control.

That is super sweet.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
And thus it begins. May the developments only accelerate from here; my sympathy for the woman who lost her arm, and my gratitude for her accepting this next technological step forward for the whole of humanity.
My thoughts exactly.

meatloaf231 said:
Alright, it's official. Science is awesome.
My other thoughts exactly.

There's my hourly brain report for you.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
And thus it begins. May the developments only accelerate from here; my sympathy for the woman who lost her arm, and my gratitude for her accepting this next technological step forward for the whole of humanity.
Soon, Skynet will rise. We can only hope Arnie has being practising after the poor showing in T3.

Although seriously, great news for the whole field of replacement limbs.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Congratulations for Ms Mason. It's great to know that she's got a new arm, and that technology marches onwards. Anyone up for a round of Deus Ex?

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Hunde Des Krieg said:
cainx10a said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Getting closer to ghost in the shell... I can feel it, now we just need brain-computer interfaces to go mainstream and less creepy and bingo!
oh, I sure want a cyber brain and the camouflage system that comes bundled with it. =D
Hell Yeah! I wish I lived in that universe. So awesome.

Haven't you guys seen Ghost in the Shell 2 / The second season of GITS Standalone Complex, where some of the characters had some kind of "Insta Hack Guns"?

Someone could creep up on you, shove some device in your Dataport Thingie and upload some badly written C++ Program into you to get you stuck in some kind of infinite loop crash paralysis.

Not exactly something i'm dreaming of...

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Frybird said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
cainx10a said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Getting closer to ghost in the shell... I can feel it, now we just need brain-computer interfaces to go mainstream and less creepy and bingo!
oh, I sure want a cyber brain and the camouflage system that comes bundled with it. =D
Hell Yeah! I wish I lived in that universe. So awesome.

Haven't you guys seen Ghost in the Shell 2 / The second season of GITS Standalone Complex, where some of the characters had some kind of "Insta Hack Guns"?

Someone could creep up on you, shove some device in your Dataport Thingie and upload some badly written C++ Program into you to get you stuck in some kind of infinite loop crash paralysis.

Not exactly something i'm dreaming of...
You seem to be confusing cybernetics with robotics - this cybernetic arm would be controlled by neural pathways, a domain where C++ holds no power whatsoever.
Just been referring to what the posters above said.

But i also have Horror Scenarios for Robotic Arms, even if the Movies i got them from are pretty bad (does anyone know Anatomy 2?)