TES IV: Oblivion: What is the opinion about it?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I was thinking about playing Oblivion (I bought it dirt cheap during one of the Steam sales and still didn't give it a try), but then I remembered something I've read somewhere. I've read that Oblivion wasn't well recieved by fans, or that it split the community, or something like that.

So, I'd like to ask you all about what do you think about TES IV: Oblivion? Is it a good game? Bad game? Also, how bad is this dialogue wheel thing?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, the issue is that its not as good as Morrowind, but is way easier (mostly due to hitting enemies always counting) so theres a big divide between people who like Morrowind more, and people who played Oblivion first. That said, as someone who definatly believes Morrowind is far superior, Oblivion is still a great game. Just not as great as it could have been.

I suppose the question is have you played Skyrim or Morrowind yet? Id recommend playing Morrowind first so you don't get blinded by the later games improved technical aspects.

The dialogue..."wheel" is fine I suppose. Not a lot of depth. Its not Mass Effect, and again, due to voice acting when people in Morrowind would have -tons- of topics and things to say, most characters in Oblivion have little more than 2 topics. Though they tend to be unique to each character, since everyone in a town in Morrowind will tell you the same local rumors.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oblivion is inferior to Morrowind and Skyrim, but it's still a good game. That said, it's been difficult to return to since Skyrim came out. It's kind of a middle child of sorts in that regard.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
How much you enjoy it strongly depends on how much you like stealth-archery.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Meh.

It's playable and OK, but very, very souless and formulaic. For me the ranking would go Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion.

But like others say, it can be an enjoyable at times. If you are going to play it don't explore and don't worry about random buildings on your map as they are mostly just filler and will bog down the experience.

Stick to the quest lines, don't worry about leveling up (it's very tight scaled leveling as a vanilla game), and think of it as an action-RPG with little actual RPG of note.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Oblivion is one of those games that were genre defining and incredible when it came out but has aged about as well as milk standing in direct sunlight in a hot room. It has loads of minor flaws that add up to detract from the experience, especially in regards to modern design sensibilities, and some major flaws that you need to mod out or they will ruin your fun (the level and equipment scaling on enemies, for example). It can still be fun, mind you, but you pretty much need to mod it or get ready to sit through some archaic and experimental design that will consistently knock you out of your immersion.

If you want a more complex RPG go for Morrowind, if you want a better open world game or action game go for Skyrim.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I can't say whether the game particularly divided the community; I fell away from the fanbase after being disappointed with Morrowind. The game itself... well, it looked pretty, except for the human(oid) characters, who all looked like partially melted wax sculptures; the voice acting is so hideously limited (each combination of race and gender has only a single assigned voice actor, so you often hear people conversing with themselves, and it has neither the polish of a Grim Fandango nor the heartbeat-level desperation of a System Shock 2) to the point where I can't help but wonder why on Earth Zenimax thought it was a good idea to stick with the system for Skyrim; the combat and skills are dumbed down from Morrowind; the ramped-up level scaling means that no matter where you go, you're fighting pretty much the same stuff; the much-vaunted Radiant AI is as dumb as toast, and only slightly more interesting; while the dungeons are larger than those in Morrowind (not that that's hard), they're still quite small, and refused to return to Daggerfall's 3D maps; the limited overworld map size (based on the bizarre idea that White Gold Tower should be visible from anywhere in the province) means that notable locations pop up every few dozen feet; and if you're wondering how a tower, no matter how tall, would be visible through thick jungle, the game does things with and to the lore and history that would be considered world abuse under any other circumstances.

However... there's still much of the fun of exploring around the map, though the exploratory urge of "what's over the next hill?" is undercut by the aforementioned overworld map design; while the game does terrible things to the established background lore, it's still mostly spelled out in the scores of books scattered throughout the world, carrying on the series' world-building; it is pretty cool to watch a group of city guard try to take down a monster you lured into their range (at least at first), and they're actually armed to take down terrestrial threats (no more rampaging through a city as a wereboar, perfectly safe from the guards who were only packing steel weapons); the music is some of the best in the series (no small claim, that); the expansions are fun (if a bit wince-inducing lore-wise); and the modding scene was (possibly still is) enormous, with a huge quantity of well-made stuff that'll let you change up the game pretty much however you want to- as an added bonus, coming in at this late date means it's all going to be (at least mostly) finished and stable.

Those are my thoughts, at any rate. But don't let community responses determine your opinion, especially since you already own a copy. Give it a whirl and see for yourself. Oh, and the dialogue wheel is just the persuasion minigame; it's pretty stupid, but pretty simple, and largely optional.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
I could spend hours listing its flaws. At the end of the day it was an incredibly immersing game that gave me hundreds of hours of fun. Main quest is dumb but it gives you some memorable pieces. Some of the side quests and factions were fantastic, specially when it led to unscripted action. The memories of talking prey in a rainy night in Anvil almost make me want to reinstall it.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Fappy said:
Oblivion is inferior to Morrowind and Skyrim, but it's still a good game. That said, it's been difficult to return to since Skyrim came out. It's kind of a middle child of sorts in that regard.
Inferior to Skyrim?

At least gameplay wise it has been a sliding scale ever since Morrowind.

OT:

If you got The Shivering Isles with it and can see beyond the way it looks today you will have a blast.

Oblivion at the time for a lot of people was one of the games that really marked the "next generation" at the time it just looked beautiful and played smoothly it still had some of the depth of Morrowin (which got cut even deeper with Skyrim) but it also offered a richer more colourful playstyle and adventure.

Morrowind to my memory is quite grey, Skyrim is a huddled puddle of grey and brown, Oblivion is like a rainbow in comparison.

edit:

I actually found the dialogue wheel to be surprisingly fun.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Revolutionary when it came out. Whether it holds up depends on personal tastes. The psychic guards, conversation wheel, and level scaling are all total shit. Quests are generally better than Skyrim. It has one of the best OSTs in video games.

Seriously, Jeremy Soule's music breathes life into this series.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
It's definitely worth a go. I'd suggest giving it a couple hours at the beginning to just get a feel for it and mess around. It's not the best in the series but it's pretty damn good with some neat quests. I can't speak for how it compares Morrowind since I haven't given it enough of a fair go to really judge, but it's certainly easier to just play (I'm really not a fan of the implementation of hit chance mechanics in Morrowind, mainly due to it being a first person game)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Politrukk said:
Fappy said:
Inferior to Skyrim?

At least gameplay wise it has been a sliding scale ever since Morrowind.

OT:

If you got The Shivering Isles with it and can see beyond the way it looks today you will have a blast.

Oblivion at the time for a lot of people was one of the games that really marked the "next generation" at the time it just looked beautiful and played smoothly it still had some of the depth of Morrowin (which got cut even deeper with Skyrim) but it also offered a richer more colourful playstyle and adventure.

Morrowind to my memory is quite grey, Skyrim is a huddled puddle of grey and brown, Oblivion is like a rainbow in comparison.

edit:

I actually found the dialogue wheel to be surprisingly fun.
What makes Morrowind visually appealing is its unique setting, which at times is almost like an alien medieval world and I think that's pretty cool, compared to Oblivion's super generic lands of Cyrodiil.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I basically know it as the game with the broken level-scaling system. Playing that game gave me a permanent distaste for level-scaling.

Jan 27, 2011
Oblivion is...Meh.

Like, the thieves guild and Dark brotherhood arcs are pretty good. But the combat feels like I'm 10 years old again, swinging a tiny tree branch with one hand and going "haha, I smite you with my broadsword!!!". There's no weight to combat and you have to do like 30+ hits to kill most enemies, I find. (I prefer Skyrim's weightier swings and bigger damage).

That and the environment is kinda mediocre (unless you get one of the mods that adds a lot of eye-candy to the landscape). In the middle of the map, rolling hills for minutes of running on end! To the north, Pine trees and a mountain! To the east, flat forest! To the west, MORE flat forest and the sea! TO the south more flat forest and eventually there's a big lake! It's all too...samey. You can argue that Skyrim is 90% tundra, but the terrain feels varied, there's usually something nifty around every corner, and the various "zones"/holds of the game have their own unique feel, way more so than Oblivion and its "Every town has a different architecture!" claim.

Oh, and closing Oblivion gates is VERY freakin' tedious and dull and takes for-freakin-ever.

Oblivion's not a bad game, by any means, but it's not that great. But like I said, the Thieves Guild is fun (and the final mission is epic as hell and nets you an AWESOME piece of equipment), and the dark brotherhood is freakin awesome with a few REALLY creative missions.

Saelune said:
What makes Morrowind visually appealing is its unique setting, which at times is almost like an alien medieval world and I think that's pretty cool, compared to Oblivion's super generic lands of Cyrodiil.
This. Very this.

In morrowind, I really did feel like a "stranger in a strange land", where everything is hostile and no one cares about you, and you have to scrape by using any means you can, as you slowly adapt to the weirdness of the land you've been basically exiled to. GREAT role play potential here.

In Skyrim I really do feel like someone exploring this massive tundra viking-like nation where banditry is a way of life, and where worth is measured by how well you can fight, and where the land is build on the bones of old ruins of heroes long since dead. Pretty good role play potential here.

In Oblivion...I felt like a tourist in a weird generic forest country with incredibly lax security. Getting into character and doing stuff was...hard.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Hmmm, where to begin? Actually, Yahtzee's take on it covers a fair amount of my complaints, so I'll let him do the talking and cover some issues of mine he doesn't address. Bear in mind you're getting the opinion of someone who played Oblivion right after Morrowind, my all time favorite Elder Scrolls title. As such, my views are definitely biased in favor of Morrowind;

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/75-Oblivion

While some gameplay elements improved over Morrowind (namely turning combat from a dice roll "chance to hit based on skill" to "variable damage on hit depending on skill and weapon"), others took a baffling turn for the worse. The dialogue wheel is one of the worst offenders, serving both as one of the weirdest takes on Persuasion checks I've ever seen in an RPG as well as being a complete and total immersion breaker.

Those options for "Admire, Joke, Coerce" and "Boast?" You have to do all four to finish a Persuasion attempt. Who the hell goes around trying to make these conversation attempts to someone in the span of a few seconds? More importantly, who the hell would this work on? Any reasonable person would find the first excuse to vacate the premises, as it would be abundantly clear to them that the speaker is insane.

Then there's the level scaling...good Lord, the level scaling. EVERYTHING scales with you, not just base stat-wise but with item/loot tables as well. This eventually results in ridiculous scenarios where common bandits are decked out in full sets of Daedric gear. Again, completely immersion breaking.

Now we come to the setting. Simply put, traveling through Cyrodil is boring as hell. With the exception of the Oblivion realm, everything is the same generic forest and medieval town that we've seen countless times in other fantasy settings. It doesn't help that it followed on the heels of Morrowind's utterly exotic and at times downright alien landmass. Perhaps the most frustrating part of all is that it didn't have to be this way. Earlier games described Cyrodil as having a humid jungle-like environment, with the Empire having a more Roman-esque motif.

The last bits here are more minor nitpicks, but I feel are still worth mentioning;
-The removal of certain skills and weapons like crossbows and melee staffs.
-The psychic guards who know every time you commit a crime (to be fair, this was a problem in Morrowind as well).
-The portrayal of all Daedra as hellish entities out to destroy everything compared to their more nuanced portrayal in previous games.
-The tiny cast of voice actors, resulting in NPCs sounding like clones of each other. They probably shouldn't have blown the budget on Patrick Stewart for his ten or so lines of dialogue.
-The "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" theme for the player character, unlike the more ambiguous interpretations of earlier titles.

Having said all that, I don't hate Oblivion (though I haven't touched it in ages). It was just disappointing for me when compared to its predecessors. It's also worth noting that there are a multitude of mods out there that address some of these issues. I remember Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul [http://devnull.sweetdanger.com/OOO/OOO_Guide.html] being one of the better ones out there back in the day.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ok, I am as critical as any other Morrowind fan of Oblivion...but why all the hate for the persuasion wheel? Sure its dumb, but its also so...unimportant. The removal of tons of spells, the limiting of weapons and skills, and the lack of discussion topics for characters are far more important issues than a silly minigame.

Also that gaining rank in a guild requires no actual skill, just doing quests is silly. Who cares if the Archmage can barely cast a fireball, he is good at running errands.

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
That was actually my first and favorite TES game.
That conversation pie chart thing was kind of annoying, but other than that I can't remember anything about it I disliked.

I also played Skyrim for a week or two, but that just didn't grab me like IV did. I didn't enjoy the level up system as much.

I really did not like Morrowind. I remember having a hard time figuring out how to navigate and thus being unable to complete the quests.

Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind (IMO)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Saelune said:
Ok, I am as critical as any other Morrowind fan of Oblivion...but why all the hate for the persuasion wheel? Sure its dumb, but its also so...unimportant. The removal of tons of spells, the limiting of weapons and skills, and the lack of discussion topics for characters are far more important issues than a silly minigame.

Also that gaining rank in a guild requires no actual skill, just doing quests is silly. Who cares if the Archmage can barely cast a fireball, he is good at running errands.
I almost never used the wheel because all of my Oblivion characters have been adapt at Illusion. Charm 100 for 2 seconds and talk while the NPC still looks like a glow stick = profit!

That said, the single best thing in Oblivion (and what makes it completely worth playing) is the Frenzy spell. Frenzy utterly breaks the AI in this game and can provide countless hours of spontaneous hilarity. Best place to use it is on the students of the arcane academy in the Imperial City. Shit is unreal.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Well, the dialogue was complete shit. Sure, the writing wasn't awful (though certainly not great either), and it had the standard dialogue options for Elder Scrolls, but the mini-game where you try to manipulate people was nauseatingly bad. And yes, it is required for some quests.

That said, it definitely feels older than Skyrim, and I have a little trouble returning to it anymore. But, to me, it is more tolerable than Morrowind. It's got quite a beautiful world, and I actually prefer it to both Morrowind and Skyrim in that regard. Combat is improved from Morrowind, but it still lags well behind Skyrim.

In general, though, it really is in that weird place where you can tell they're trying to streamline things but haven't quite figured it all out. Skyrim did a good job in that regard, hence its appeal to a wide audience. Morrowind didn't even seem to try, putting more emphasis on the world and RPG elements, hence its appeal to the hardcore RPG crowd. Oblivion is just sort of there. Decent for its time, but now hard to return to.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Oblivion was my first entry into Elder Scrolls, and I had a blast... Until I figured out how to level up, then it took away a lot of the magic and became a spreadsheet simulator.

Then, I picked up a used copy of Morrowind, and tried that. I "appropriated" all the items in Tutorial house, sold them at a merchant, bought a decent weapon, then went exploring and found a Mudcrab. I attempted to stab the Mudcrab, but I missed. The Mudcrab hit me. I again attempted to stab the Mudcrab, but missed again. The Mudcrab hit me. For a third time, I attempted to stab the Mudcrab, but missed. The Mudcrab hit me and I died.
If there was something with the flavor of Morrowind, but the mechanics of Oblivion...

Incidentally, I'm loving the shit out of Skyrim. Which I only recently got on Steam sale.