TESO going for microtransactions as well as subscription fees

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Puzzle Pirates and Runescape had the right idea when it came to payment models.

In Runescape, the base game was free, and a much larger, more expansive area along with lots of other content was available to subscribers.

In puzzle pirates free servers had microtransactions for a second kind of special currency, and everything cost twice as much. On subscriber servers, there were no microtransactions and everything was cheaper.

One of those two models would be the way to go.

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
Meh so long as the microtransactions don't make up any important content then they can offer it all they want and I will still resist buying any of it. The subscription charge is fair enough I guess seeing as the most successful mmos all have one (Note: Yes the old republic had one and failed but that was because the game was crap in the first place)

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm going to look at this in a positive light - this could mean that they'll have to go free-to-play sooner because people won't tolerate having to do three different payments for the game, even if it is TES. I really, really wanted to play this, but they're doing nothing to endear me to it right now.

Also, didn't they say that the subscriptions were in place to avoid stupid microtransactions? We'll have to see what exactly the store will entail, but still, that seems like a bit of a contradiction there. No wonder they left this announcement so late.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
This will change. Most gamers don't want to pay for subscriptions to a new mmo. WoW gets away with it because they already had such a high number of customers from when subscription models were standard. They aren't standard anymore. I predict they will either abandon subscriptions or abandon microtransactions. I can't see them having the balls to change for both, in a brand new mmo. They're welcome to do whatever they want though. Elder Scrolls Online appears to be a shinier version of the same game we've been playing for over a decade. Every Quest Next looks like it is actually going to evolve the genre, and it won't have a subscription

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Now all they need is a mandatory 2 year contract on sign up with a $200 early termination fee, and their financial future will be secure.

I expect that we will be seeing a lot more and smaller ES games coming out in much shorter intervals with WAY more DLC in order to make up the money that this MMO is going to end up costing them in the long run.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'd be more involve with this outrage if I hadn't sworn off Bethesda and Zenimax after the buggy, overhyped fuckfest that was Fallout 3.

As it stands, this is just another opportunity for me to make popcorn, and watch.

Jul 31, 2013
Well, Zenimax can go and fuck itself with a rusty construction pole, for all that it's worth. I had bad expectations for this MMO since it was announced, but I was willing to try it out. But paying 60 dollar (well, euro in my case) for the game AND paying 15 dollar just to have the right to play that game, while adding further insult by adding microtransactions... No, just no, Zenimax.

Off-topic: I accidentally misread "Matt Firror" as "Fat Mirror". It made the article much more entertaining, IMO.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I thought that they said that the point of the subscription was so they could AVOID this! COME ON GUYS!

Stenchslash

Aug 24, 2013
If they stuck with an subscription model only I wouldn't be angry. Honestly, the market is full of F2P MMO's! I really do think the market could use another subscription mmo instead of just EVE and World of Warcraft.

I don't think I'm alone when saying that I'm tired of having to pay money/devote more time into a particular task simply to get to point A to point B. With a normal subscription model you can simply get to point A to B without obstacles being in your way. Even if every thing is merely cosmetic, double dipping like this is bullshit.

When I spend money monthly for a product, I should expect to be able to have the entire product available, there should be no obstacles stopping you from getting to point A to be point B.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SteffeM said:
I would have had some understanding for their decision if it wasn't for the fact that they defended the subscription model by saying that:

"We don't want players to hit monetisation fees when they're in the world."

and:

"We wanted to do monetization outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 percent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."

Seems very hypocritical to me.
It shows their full of shit. That settles it, I wont touch the game with a 10ft pole. TES games I already have will keep me happy until the next one arrives.