TESV Skyrim: Possibly Features a third Numidium. (Pics)

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
EightGaugeHippo said:
like the title Suggests, I think TES V will feature a Third Numidium. If thats true, the Dwemer ruins and centurians might make a return.
If the only reason they left them out of Oblivion was to have them make an epic return in Skyrim, I may be able to forgive them...

But I'm sure they won't be as mysterious and as fun as they were in Morrowind, I just hope they don't go too overboard on throwing the story in your face. That was one of the things I loved about Morrowind. You weren't pressured into the main story until you were ready, and yet you were still a hundred times more important than in Oblivion where the only thing special about you was a crazy king thought you looked familiar.

Just like with Oblivion, I'll keep my hopes high, and hope it doesn't completely drop them (again)

laryri

May 19, 2008
Considering the way that the carvings are ordered I would say it was just showing what happened in the previous games leading up to the dragons in Skryim.

Obliterato

Sep 16, 2008
I just can't believe they managed to announce Elder Scrolls V and I entirely missed it! After years of speculation, it's Skyrim! Awesome!

bean burrito

Jul 10, 2009
If they go back to Dwemer ruins I'll be so pumped. I loved exploring those in Morrowind, and they added so much more mystery to the plot. With better graphics, that'll ROCK!

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
Interesting find, but I'm still annoyed (as I have been since the leaked copyright revealed 'Skyrim') that we aren't off to Summerset Isle. It seemed like half of Cyrodiil was obsessed with the unrest on Summerset Isle, and not only did the DLC not take us there, but the sequel doesn't seem interested either...

...anyway, on topic. The trailer seriously worried me with its prophecy and a return to an Age of Dragons (or Dragon Age, if you will). And the Nords / Skyrim seem too generic to hold a full game. So I'm hoping this little obscure Numidium reference holds more power than just a throwback to an old game, as the story of the Dwemer was an interesting one to say the least. I'd expect a link between Morrowind and Skyrim (as games, I mean) anyway, seeing as the recent novel (which was a direct sequel to Oblivion, as this game purports to also be) dealt heavily with Vvardenfell and Morrowind yet again.

The dragons seriously, seriously worry me, though. I'm just not seeing it.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
The wall might just be a prophecy, as is indicated in the trailer: "the elders scrolls told of their return" and the focus on certain parts during the monologue. It wall may just tell the circumstances which will come before 'their' return, hence the obvious focus on the oblivion symbol. The figure you pointed out might just be a reference to earlier games (and you're the first to spot it!).

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
kintaris said:
The dragons seriously, seriously worry me, though. I'm just not seeing it.
I agree. The existing lore on dragons is either nonexistent or not terribly compelling, and turning them into the big bad for Beowulf Meadlover Nordicus to go kill wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Possible bad guy dragons in Elder Scrolls lore include the Nordic god Alduin the World-Eater. He resets time every cyclical universe unit (kalpa) by doing just what his moniker suggests. This is problematic because he is the same guy that saved Nirn from Mehrunes Dagon at the end of Oblivion: Akatosh. He is also Auriel, worshiped by the mer.

There's also an Akaviri fellow who took the name Tosh Raka after becoming a dragon avatar of Akatosh, and he is on record wanting to invade Nirn.

All these dragon fellows have control over time, making things messy, and Akatosh is really the same person as Lorkhan, devil to mer and champion to men, locked in one crazed schizophrenic soul that is always tearing itself apart, so things get even messier. And wow, this is bringing me back.

Yes, The Heart powered Akulakhan in Morrowind.
In Daggerfall they used a soul gem to power Numidium.
Ah, but the soul gem contained the soul of Lorkhan (sort of).

Good info, including a huge version of the trailer wall carving, here:
http://imperial-library.info/content/official-tes-v-skyrim-information

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
GodofCider said:
Since we're in the north, I wonder if I'll be able to play as a Falmer. ^_^
Their general deadness is a major obstacle.

And odds are they were racially Altmer in any case, just as the Cyrodilic Ayleids and High Rock Direnni were.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
maturin said:
GodofCider said:

And odds are they were racially Altmer in any case, just as the Cyrodilic Ayleids and High Rock Direnni were.
There is an NPC in Shadowkey that fits the description for the Falmer.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shadowkey:Glacier_Crawl

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I suppose it's possible, but there's always a good chance that it's a coincidence.

According to the lore, the Dwarves (Dwemer) had never inhabited Skyrim. And since it was the Dwemer who had designed Numidium, it wouldn't make sense that there would be one there. Unless it was encased in a giant stone and moved as an artifact, which I find doubtful.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
Eumersian said:
I suppose it's possible, but there's always a good chance that it's a coincidence.

According to the lore, the Dwarves (Dwemer) had never inhabited Skyrim. And since it was the Dwemer who had designed Numidium, it wouldn't make sense that there would be one there. Unless it was encased in a giant stone and moved as an artifact, which I find doubtful.
I think the Dwemer did inhabit the mountains between Skyrim and Morrowind. I cannot remember where I found this, but if I find the source I will give it.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
maturin said:
GodofCider said:

We're talking about TES here.

Where pulling an elder scroll out of your rear instantly changes history. Everything else aside, they could very well still be in the area, akin to the 'wild elves' (aka heartland high elves) in cyrodil; which are never seen in game, almost never seen in the back-story, yet which presently having a thriving culture and society.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
laryri said:
Considering the way that the carvings are ordered I would say it was just showing what happened in the previous games leading up to the dragons in Skryim.
Ah this seems more likely, there's no way they'd line them up like that if it wasn't meant to be a timeline sort of thing.

I really want to play Morrowind now because those golem things look awesome x3

SPARTAN-117

Aug 29, 2009
it looks similar but i think its too early to be sure of anything
personally i think the plot is going to centre more around dragons

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
laryri said:
I think we have a winner.

I'm more confused about the dragons; they're meant to all be dead in Tamriel.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
GodofCider said:
maturin said:
GodofCider said:

We're talking about TES here.

Where pulling an elder scroll out of your rear instantly changes history. Everything else aside, they could very well still be in the area, akin to the 'wild elves' (aka heartland high elves) in cyrodil; which are never seen in game, almost never seen in the back-story, yet which presently having a thriving culture and society.
The Wild Elves survive in uncivilized pockets of wilderness like Amazonian tribes, and we only know that because of one book.

If the extinct Falmer are suddenly unextinct after doing nothing of consequence for several thousand years, it will be something of a reversal.