Tetris Live-Action Movie Is Falling Into Place

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
OH MY GOD... The man who brought us the abomination that is "Foodfight" is making a "Tetris" movie?! This is going to be the best worst movie ever, just you wait. And for those that haven't seen "Foodfight," here's two people much more talented than me who can tell you about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGql8sKjJwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf85ZaAfixM

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
The only way I can see this working is if the movie is social commentary where "Tetris" - and it's distracting addictiveness - is a stand-in for other distracting or addicting things which thus makes the underlying problem clearer. Or maybe Tetris - being the quintessential computer game - gets to represent computer gaming in general. And then there's always been that rumor that Tetris is really a Soviet mind-control game: maybe something could be done with that concept?

"It's a very big, epic sci-fi movie." Never mind, I just had my hopes up for a minute.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
The plot has already been leaked:

"The proletariat Z and T blocks form a trade union to oppose the power and oppression of the bourgeois square blocks. Eventually, they gain control of the line blocks and their military power, but something goes wrong, and all the L blocks begin disappearing from old photos. . ."

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
Have any of you seen the flash animation/game series Tetris'd? Something like might actually be enjoyable in some weird ironic sense.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Mortis Nuncius said:
There is an astonishing amount of clairvoyance on display here, any more future-readers and The Escapist might start looking like a site for psychics. Seriously, I can understand having real doubt--I'm not particularly confident in the movie's success myself--but people are already claiming failure to be the only outcome when basically nothing has been said about the movie other than it will exist and it has a genre.

I'll be waiting to see how it shapes up, but I think the fact that there's no story behind Tetris allows quite a bit of writing freedom. I'm imagining something along the lines of a factory worker arranging things in a very Tetris-like manner, something happens for the worker to want to change the monotony of the arrangements. Would it be predictable? Probably, though that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be enjoyable.
It's a game about arranging blocks. That they've said little is not a sign of hope. That the game has no story does not allow a lot of writing freedom. There is nothing to be hopeful about here because a game about arranging blocks will never be a good movie without either becoming completely unrecognizable and having little to no relation to the source material, or somehow pulling off something silly but fun like the Lego Movie. But the latter is an extreme long shot because the Lego Movie was actually good, this'd have to avoid feeling like a shameless copy, and they said they're going for epic sci-fi. I don't know what they think epic sci-fi is, but I'm imagining it's probably not what it actually is. Otherwise no person with any sanity would ever try to make a Tetris movie fit that mold.

And if that wasn't enough reason to be wary, feel free to look up this guys filmography. Go ahead, I dare you. The vast majority of it is unwatchable garbage.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
TheLastFeeder said:
Why couldn't be a musical set in USSR?!

That's something I actually would like to see.
Damnit! I was almost about to post that. You must be a counter-revoluntionary agent bent on destroying our glorious blockpublic! I hope you enjoy Siberia, comrade!

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Damnit! I was almost about to post that. You must be a counter-revoluntionary agent bent on destroying our glorious blockpublic! I hope you enjoy Siberia, comrade!
It would be a nice change from the Volcanic fumes I have been dealing with lately, I'll meet you in Siberia in a few weeks, Comrade.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oh, I dunno, have the Tetris blocks be a sort of plating, terraforming technology of alien origin dropped onto the Earth to make it habitable to the outsiders, every time a segment is closed completely the surrounding area becomes hostile to humans. Basically, an alien invasion movie. The humans have to somehow stop the blocks from forming a coherent grid across the entire Earth's surface to prevent utter annihilation. It's a race against the clock to stop the aliens and dropping the wrong shapes is the best chance they've got in hindering the formation of the death-bringing grid. I would... not watch that.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I am foreseeing an attempt at something resembling The Last Starfighter crossed with TRON. Skeleon pretty much outlines this well enough above.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Why don't they just make a movie about the history of tetris with the creator as the protagonist? Its a very interesting story of why capitalism is vampiric. Why does it need to be a epic scifi? That makes no sense.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Tetris... I got nothing.

Lego worked because it was about actual Lego but this isn't even about the game.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Since I don't believe it's been mentioned yet, I was thinking their plan is to follow the Tetris'd flashes involving an alien take-over of planet Earth where they test out human reflexes and reaction time by dumping blocks and space robots all over them.

OR...

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
Dalisclock said:
TheLastFeeder said:
Why couldn't be a musical set in USSR?!

That's something I actually would like to see.
Folks, this pretty much IS the Tetris movie!

OT: In all seriousness, I wish they would leave things like this alone. I'm sure we're all no strangers to Tetris but how could you make something that has basically no story whatsoever and make it into a movie? I mean after this where will we go next? Picross? Puyo Puyo? BUBBLE BOBBLE?!?!?!

....seriously if we hear news of a Bubble Booble movie I think I'll cry myself to sleep.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
...Why? What kind of audience do you expect to attract with this? Tetris does not have a rabid following like 80s kids toons or newer game franchises.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
An epic sci-fi movie based on tetris directed by the guy who gave us the mortal kombat movies? Nothing beats watching a giant train wreck, I suppose.