Texan Escapists

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Texan Escapists, as I'm sure you've noticed, there is a WAR on our state, people, and culture.
Lambasted from one end of the forum to the other, used as the butt of jokes about fundamentalism and gun ownership, we must RISE UP and fight back!

Nah, I'm kidding, that's all retarded. What this thread is actually about is rounding up those Escapist who, like me, have the good fortune to be from (or currently reside in) the state with the best shape, Texas.

The aim is then to enable us to network a bit better, such as in my own search for Elder Scrolls cosplay group recruits.

So who's from Texas, and who lives here now that you've realized the mistake you made in being born elsewhere?

EDIT: Houston area here.

TO BE CLEAR: Don't post your address or contact information, people. that's a DUMB idea

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
My father was in the Air Force so I was born overseas and we moved around frequently. However, Texas has become home to me. It's where I've spent most of my life and generally where I'm the happiest. While it's a little too deep into religion for my liking, you'll be hard pressed to find friendlier people and wide open spaces. As far as the jokes.....eh, it's based on ignorance and what's seen on TV/heard from dumb ass politicians so I pay it no mind. There's something about west Texas that I just can't seem to escape.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I moved down to the Dallas area in the summer of 2008 for grad school from Pennsylvania, and I've been here ever since, thanks to every subsequent job I've had being located here.

Despite the fact that it's 70 degrees right now in December, a pretty big games industry presence, and amazing Chinese food, this area really just isn't for me and I can't see myself staying here permanently at all. Most everyone I meet down here is really friendly, though!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Grew up in tx, still in tx.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Well, even though I'm a proud Texan, I wouldn't say Texas has the BEST shape. Just the most awesome and iconic one. Seriously, you can look at each individual state, and everyone can tell which one is Texas by its distinctive shape.

Anyway, I love Texas. I was born and raised here, and while it isn't without it's faults, the people are nice, the food is great, the weather (or at the very least, general temperature) is fairly consistent, and apparently the cost of living as well as cost of housing is lower than most of the other states in the U.S..

To me, Texas is awesome, but clearly not for everyone. Especially those who wilt easily in high temperatures, because Texas is seriously hot, almost throughout the year.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
YOU FOOL!

You gathered us all into one place, soon the other escapites will find and destroy us!

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted here.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Austin reporting. This just in, Texas has decided to forget about that tiresome season business and just be summer all year. Now to John with our hourly hipster forecast.

"There's gonna be hipsters."

Thanks John.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Born in El Paso and grew up in Galveston before the parental units moved our family to Alabama.

Mercy it's different here...but yes, we DO have electricity!

*rolls eyes*

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Not only am I in Arlington, but I know two or three other escapists in Arlington as well. Not gonna mention names, but we're around.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Yankee here. Though I know Texas primarily for the Bush family and all of the stereotypes that aren't probably THAT prevalent, Texas is known for one very awesome comedian/social critic:

So, y'all ain't that bad, all things considered.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
I am more of a Florida guy, but I'm in Houston, Texas right now. Lots of diversity here (which means great restaurants), any person of any ethnic background is probably around here somewhere. Think I've seen one or two other escapists living in Houston.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Born and raised in Texas, still there...though I guess I gotta admit that I would prefer not to live here. Too damn hot and I'm surronded by Christians who decide on sight of me that I'm one of them and if I'm not, then they need to convert me ASAP.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Well, like the bumper sticker says..."I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

Moved down here after I graduated college and found it hard to leave.

So I bought a house around Dallas, married a li'l ol' gal from Corpus Cristi and went native.

Though I have yet to buy a ten-gallon hat, bolo tie or hub-cap sized belt buckle...

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
8-Bit_Jack said:
Texan Escapist, as I'm sure you've noticed, there is a WAR on our state, people, and culture.
Lambasted from one end of the forum to the other, used as the butt of jokes about fundamentalism and gun ownership, we must RISE UP and fight back!

Nah, I'm kidding, that's all retarded. What this thread is actually about is rounding up those Escapist who, like me, have the good fortune to be from (or currently reside in) the state with the best shape, Texas.

The aim is then to enable us to network a bit better, such as in my own search for Elder Scrolls cosplay group recruits.

So who's from Texas, and who lives here now that you've realized the mistake you made in being born elsewhere?

TO BE CLEAR: Don't post your address or contact information, people. that's a DUMB idea
I'm close to Texas, I live in New Mexico (bout 10 or so minutes from the border) and Texan culture has dripped in...can I join in?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wasn't born here, but I've spent most of my life here. I love my state. Love the food. Tex-mex is infinitely more exciting to me than regular Mex. The rolling hills of central Texas? Get right out, I love those hills! The windfarms in north Texas, the vast openness of West Texas, the wonderful coast, and the mountainous panhandle? Freaking great. That it takes 18 hours to go from tip to tip, in either direction, going 70-80mph? Hells yeah.

Could do without the massive religious zealotry in places, though, but you can get that most anywhere. Also, the drug trade on the border isn't making things wonderful, but before all the violence, it was wonderful to have the markets right there as well.

Phlakes said:
Austin reporting. This just in, Texas has decided to forget about that tiresome season business and just be summer all year. Now to John with our hourly hipster forecast.

"There's gonna be hipsters."

Thanks John.
Well, in fairness, we do get Fall and Spring. It's fall right now, and you can tell, because it's 70'F (20'C) in mid December. We won't have any of that winter business, though. Mind, it doesn't stop people from trying. Winter coats, sweaters, scarves...in 70 degrees.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I currently live in Allen myself. I don't really like it solely because of the weather. If the weather was different I'd probably enjoy Texas more.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Lucem712 said:
I'm close to Texas, I live in New Mexico (bout 10 or so minutes from the border) and Texan culture has dripped in...can I join in?
You can sit in on the meetings, but don't get to vote. :D