Texas man planned to try and take down "~70%" of the internet by attacking Amazon Data centre

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

The FBI arrested a Texas man Thursday on charges of hatching a plan to blow up an Amazon data center in Virginia.
Court documents say Pendley came to the FBI’s attention after agents received a tip that he was posting alarming statements on a forum popular with militia groups, mymilitia.com. He began communicating through an encrypted messaging app with another person, who told the FBI that Pendley planned to use plastic explosives to attack the tech company’s data centers “to kill about 70% of the internet.”
The FBI says he told the undercover operative that he wanted to attack the data centers because he thought they served the FBI, CIA and other federal agencies.
On one hand seriously American Militias are nuts.

On the other, if the 70% claim has any kind of basis to it then does that say something rather worrying about how much of the internet is controlled by just one company?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

On one hand seriously American Militias are nuts.

On the other, if the 70% claim has any kind of basis to it then does that say something rather worrying about how much of the internet is controlled by just one company?
I doubt it has any claim in reality at all.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I hate Amazon as much as anyone else but even this seems extreme for me.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Oh not, not at all. It should not be of least concern the infrastructure upon which contemporary global communications and commerce is built, and near-exclusively reliant upon post-COVID, is chokepointed through a handful of data centers owned and operated by trillion-dollar multinationals that really do only have our best interests as private citizens in mind, with little if any redundancy or oversight. Especially when those multinationals are partnered with the intelligence community.

Sorry, I seem to have gotten a little NSA on my keyboard.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
What's the motive? Because I read the article, and there wasn't any.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Amazon controls more of the world's raw computing power than any other entity on earth (most of which they rent out in the form of things like AWS). Most of the rest is controlled by the other large tech companies you'd expect.

Blowing up one data center isn't going to take down 70% of the internet - blowing up a large percentage of all Amazon data centers worldwide would likely get you into the mid double digits though.

"big gubberment be spyin on me"
I mean, he wouldn't be wrong, and Amazon is certainly doing their part to help the government to do so, but it seems like misdirected anger (aim it at the government, not Amazon) coupled with not nearly enough firepower to actually do anything about it to Amazon.