Texting Spelling and Punctuation

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
DeadSp8s said:
I always write properly. I don't like sounding like an idiot unless I'm trying to sound like one.
Same for me. If I'm running out of text space... sometimes I'll do away with contractions, and in server cases, abbreviate large and commonly abbreviated words.

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
amazing, practically every one who responded to this thread said they are careful and use correct spelling and punctuation. I guess that says something about what kind of people come on this site. certainly those I text to have no such compunction.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
AwkwardTurtle said:
Oh one more thing! I really don't like the argument people who say when they don't want to use proper spelling and grammar. They all claim "BUT YOU GOT THE POINT I MADE. >.> GAWD STOP COMPLAINING". Anyone got a wonderful comeback to that claim? :D
I usually say:
"After I asked your mother what you meant." or "I had to consult my friend Noah Webster as to what you might possibly have meant."
I love the second one. They usually reply "who da fuk s dat"
Now I need a bath...

OT: There was a linkshell in Final Fantasy XI that was named "The Grammar Police". I joined immediately, and was promoted to Captain due to my strict enforcement policies. ;)

P.S. I was 12 at the time. It got me before I had a cellphone telephone. Still don't use the damn thing.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
It only took me one use of a mobile phone to text before I threw attempts at proper spelling and punctuation out the window. Perhaps one day when I finally conform to the standards of society and buy a smartphone and develop my thumb skills, I'll become more able to spell and punctuate within a reasonable amount of time, but as it is, I don't hold it against people anymore.

In some cases, I actually endorse it. I would never approve of anyone texting while driving, but if you absolutely bloody have to, don't take your time and finely craft a letter in triplicate.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I try and write properly, but if in a hurry or talking ot friends, I'll use shorthand. Anyone who yells that I should always use it, text me a synopsis of your argument and I'll get back to.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I always try to spell properly; I only go into text-speech when I'm running out of room and money. Or when I'm feeling silly.

My oldest sister, who is actually a much better speller and writer than I, tends to mix and mash especially now that she has a smartphone; she has a hard time hitting the right letters on the touch screen thus it takes forever to write so if she's in a hurry she'll use text-speech. In turn, her youngest daughter (14) uses mostly text-speech and her oldest daughter (16) tries to write everything out.

When people use text-speech when texting or on twitter I don't give a shit really; there's a point to short-hand there because of the character restrictions. But on forums or facebook? Dislike.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
AwkwardTurtle said:
Oh one more thing! I really don't like the argument people who say when they don't want to use proper spelling and grammar. They all claim "BUT YOU GOT THE POINT I MADE. >.> GAWD STOP COMPLAINING". Anyone got a wonderful comeback to that claim? :D
A few:

"Yeah, after I had to consult my text decipher I did."

"Yes, but now my brain pulled a muscle from reading that, and I need to lay down for a bit."

"For every misspelled word and poor grammar, a kitten dies, and you've killed too many. You monster."

OT: If I'm typing on my phone I will use short cuts for certain words, like 'you' to 'u' and that's only because of word limits, but I use proper grammar and spelling. If I have a keyboard in front of me, you better believe I'm gonna use every letter and punctuation mark to construct sentences.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
"Yes, but now my brain pulled a muscle from reading that, and I need to lay down for a bit."

"For every misspelled word and poor grammar, a kitten dies, and you've killed too many. You monster."
Consider your lines stolen, my good sir.

Captcha: reward that
I kid you not.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I always write correctly and in full. I do not skip punctuation, I write out most numbers in full (I'll write "seventy-five" rather than "75") and I double check my spelling and grammar before pressing send. If I have something to say I prefer to say it with style and grace. I utterly despise "txt spk" and I will look down my nose at you if you habitually confuse common English words such as "your" and "you're".

Call me what you wish for this behaviour, but please - do so grammatically.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
vault69 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Consider your lines stolen, my good sir.

Captcha: reward that
I kid you not.
Go for it, I'm just glad I can be of service. :)

I tend to piss people off when I do that, but hey, it's not my fault I'm on good terms with the comma.

shadowsoul222

Jun 6, 2010
twistedmic said:
I rarely text, but when I do I take the time to use proper spelling and punctuation. I also make sure to use proper spelling and punctuation when I post on message boards.
I don't know why, but for some reason the beginning of your post reminded me of those Dos Equis commercials. I can picture it now: "I don't text often, but when I do, I use proper grammar." XD

OT: I've always used correct spelling and punctuation, even when I had a brick phone with no keyboard, I just took the time to spell things out right. I learned to make my points quickly XD

EDIT:
lithium.jelly said:
I write out most numbers in full (I'll write "seventy-five" rather than "75"
Also I do this, and I always make sure to use correct capitalization.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I type out my texts in full, especially since my current phone's predictive text is pretty good. It's not as hard to type out the word 'probably' when it comes up in the dictionary, right? Although even before I got this phone, I'd type properly anyway. Just because I could. It doesn't take that much effort - in fact, I actually have to think before I can properly abbreviate words and use 'chatspeak' or whatever. I'm pretty terrible at it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Phlakes said:
...I need a shower just after writing that. No, I need to bathe in bleach.
I know how you feel, don't forget to scrub...(!)

subfield said:
amazing, practically every one who responded to this thread said they are careful and use correct spelling and punctuation. I guess that says something about what kind of people come on this site. certainly those I text to have no such compunction.
I'm also pleasantly surprised by that fact...

So, in so saying, I use full prose when texting (even though my phone's predictive function is rubbish...). But I don't hold it against people who use text-speak... perhaps because so few people I know actually use it (or at least use it when texting me).

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I will text properly unless I'm

A: in a hurry

or

B: drunk.

then a few things like 'u' instead of 'you' and 'yh' instead of 'yeah' slip in, but I do my best to limit it :)

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
sravankb said:
I saw this somewhere on some random site - the importance of punctuation and grammar. They can make all the difference -

A - I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.
B - i helped my uncle jack off a horse

Yes, it can be that crucial.
I always hated that example because most people I'm sure are smart enough to just rephrase the sentence to 'I helped my uncle Jack get off a horse' (not to mention that there aren't actually that many cases where the absence of commas or other punctuation can dramatically alter the overall meaning of a sentence like that).

Also, Seenao Textbooks is my captcha? Is this thing trying to advertise stuff to me now?

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I type in grammatically correct english in all situations, apart from a few abbreviations.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Jodah said:
A. Let's eat, Grandma.
B. Let's eat Grandma.
thylasos said:
I type in grammatically correct English in all situations, apart from a few abbreviations.
I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.

OT: I always do my best to type properly, including texting and such.

I absolutely despise people using "u" and "ur" and so on, unless it's in a fast-paced game or something along those lines.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
my view on this subject is rather simple, if something is important enough to tell me, it's important enough to take the time to spell it right.
i never shorten words on purpose, i always try to mind my grammar etc. it's not even that hard to do.
ofcourse i do make mistakes every now and again i'm not perfect, and i can understand the occasional slip-up of other people, i just really hate it when people use those abreviations on purpose it's annoying and retarded to do so, if you can't be bothered to type it all out then don't bother sending the text at all as far as i'm concerned.