TF2 Coach

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
So I recently picked up team fortress 2 and I know there is a decent fan base for it on this site so I was wondering if anybody could do the coach thing with me. I'll be going to work soon so I won't be getting any game time for around 4-5 hours but if anybody is willing to coach me that'd be great. I plan on playing either the scout, spy, or engineer.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Honestly, don't bother with a coach. While it's a decent idea, you will get a lot more by just playing the game itself. Also, read up on the TF2 wiki, if only to learn what the various weapons do.

On the by, though, don't shoehorn yourself into a single class. A good player should always use whatever class is best for the situation, not just their personal preference. That's not to say that you can't play those classes, but keep in mind that team balance is key to victory.

EDIT: Plus, just asking a reasonable question in general chat will usually get a reasonable response. TF2 is a bit more low-key than the rest of the shooters, the community is fairly friendly as long as you stay out of the clans.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
It's a relaxed, pick-up-and-put-down kind of game with such a straight-forward premise that you risk missing a lot if you just skip to knowing all the right turret spots and so on.

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
alright thanks for the tip

So I should be learning every single class then or just a majority?

webby

Sep 13, 2010
peel15 said:

Learn every class but do it as you go. If you see that your team lacks a medic quickly change out and learn how to heal and uber players effectively on the go. Basically learn by doing. If you're in a good group people will normally tell you when to uber them if you aren't on the ball.

Don't make a conscious effort to cycle through all the classes quickly, just roll with the punches and play the class that is needed most.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
I consider myself a pretty decent engi so pm if you still want help

Najal

Apr 12, 2008
I think for a new player learning all the classes is a big task. I would try them all out and find one you like; then practice that one and learn all the tricks for it.

Doesn't have to be one class though, but play the classes you enjoy.

Remember that the play style of a class can change drastically by changing weapons e.g. Gunslinger engineer is very different to the normal engie.

Reading the wiki is a good idea: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page

Coaching seems a bit unneccessary, but PM me if you want any tips on playing gunslinger engie specifically.

siahsargus

Jul 28, 2010
If you want really basic, I'd recommend you start with the Heavy, stay back as support/tank and wait for a medic to uber you. If you have a good connection you can try playing scout.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I would try coaching, but TF2's been randomly crashing on me ever since the Replay Update. Personally I'd recommend you try Soldier first, as his playstyle is fairly accessible for newcomers. Either that or Medic, as you will offer an invaluable service to the team while being able to observer how the other classes play. I can offer some advice for the classes you're interested in, though:
Scout:

1. ALWAYS keep moving. Speed is the Scout's great advantage.

2. Most of the Scout's weapons are well-suited for hit-and-run attacks. Rush in, get a few good "meatshots", then get out.

3. Try to flank your enemies if you can.

4. Scouts can cap control points and push bomb carts twice as fast compared to other classes, so try to go for these objectives.

Spy:

1. Don't rely on disguises too much. Most longtime players have developed almost a "sixth sense" when it comes to detecting disguised Spies.

2. Don't forget the Spy has a gun! Sometimes it's more useful to plug an enemy with your gun instead of stabbing them. For instance, the Sniper's Razorback can block a single backstab, so it's often easier to just shoot them. It only takes three revolver shots or one Ambassador headshot followed by a bodyshot to kill them at mid to close range. It's also a good idea to shoot retreating enemies that are low on health.

3. When dealing with Engineers, watch out for their wrench. Crit chance is based on recent damage dealt, and Sentry guns deal lots of damage for Engies. A crit wrench is capable of one-shotting Spies.

4. When tackling sentry guns, you can either "sap and stab" or "stab and sap." For unaware Engies, sap the gun first, then quickly backstab them. For alert ones, it's possible to backstab them, then quickly sap the sentry gun before it can turn around. You have to be quick though, as the sentry will turn around very quickly. Experienced spies can lessen the risk by strafing around the sentry in the same direction that it turns.

5. If you come across some buildings with no enemies nearby, try shooting them a few times after you sap them.

6. Bear in mind that Engineers can be harmed by their own sentry guns. You can use this to your advantage if you find an Engie parked between a sentry and dispenser. Simply shoot the Engie when standing behind his dispenser. The sentry will do the rest, while the dispenser will shield you.

7. You can disguise as teammates as well as enemies. This can come in handy when using the Dead Ringer. When you feign your death, your opponent is more likely to believe they killed a different class instead of a Spy.

Engineer:

1. Never underestimate your standard weapons. As mentioned previously, wrenches often have a high crit rate if your sentry's killed a few enemies recently. The shotgun's spread can be useful laying suppressive fire and detecting cloaked Spies. The Frontier Justice shotgun can be incredibly effective, as you get "revenge crits" based on how many kills your sentry makes before it's destroyed. Finally, the pistol has a whopping 200 reserve ammo, so feel free to spam shots with it.

2. The first thing you should do after spawning is to get a teleporter entrance built. That way you only have to worry about building an exit when you get to the front lines.

3. Don't get too attached to your buildings. It takes a fair amount of time and effort to upgrade buildings, and there's a good chance an enemy will destroy them before they get to that point.

4. Sometimes it's better to build a dispenser before a sentry. It costs less metal (100 opposed to 130 for the sentry) and you'll assist the team by providing a source of health and ammo.

5. When using the Gunslinger, it's a good idea to be a "battle engie." Roam around the front lines peppering enemies with your weapons while dropping mini-sentries to deal extra damage and as a distraction. Better yet, build a mini-sentry down a long choke point with the Wrangler equipped and deal long-ranged suppressive fire.

6. Beware Spies! Always be on the lookout for them. be especially wary when they sap teleporters. Don't stand directly on a teleporter exit when removing a sapper, as a disguised Spy can be teleported on top of the Engie, killing him instantly.

Hope these help. Have fun!

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
If you need someone to take you through the basics feel free to add me on steam. My ID is kane.malakos. I should be on pretty often, and I'm always up for a game of TF2.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Playing every class a lot is probably the best advice anyone can give you. If you can get decent with a lot of classes, you can have fun with a lot of classes. Otherwise, you'll end up either being disliked when you play as a class the team doesn't need or bitter when you're forced to play a class you don't like. Best to learn to like all (or at least a majority) of them. With all of the items out now, there's probably some set that will result in an enjoyable playstyle for you for pretty much any class.

Also, try to watch people who are doing especially well while you're dead and waiting for a respawn.

And if you want to play spy, which I find the be the most fun, it actually doesn't hurt to google around a little as some of the most useful strategies are a little unintuitive. Also, if you want to play spy it's usually best to get used to the idea that you will have a relatively low KD-ratio, though each successful kill and destruction feels much sweeter. Just know that you will fail a lot, especially at first, and you shouldn't let it get you down.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Okay, free tip here:

How to play Pyro:

1. Equip Backburner
2. W + M1
3. Occasionally pull out the flare gun so you look like you know what you're doing

Or, HOW FREAKING EVERYONE PLAYS PYRO.

For realz: Coaches is a pretty bad idea. If you really want to get good, read up on the TF2 Wiki or do a crapton of practice.

Real tip:

1. Find a dedicated server (only one map) with instant or five second respawn
2. Repeatedly play prefered class of choice.
3. Switch loadouts occasionally to find what suits you

So you're learning the class, instead of learning the map. Less on your mind, plus you do better on maps you know.

Apr 28, 2008
peel15 said:

TF2 has a training mode that teaches you how to play Soldier, Engineer, Demoman, and Spy. That should get you started.

For the others, start playing and see what they do. I also suggest joining the TF2 group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC] and asking for some tips. You'll no doubt be bombarded with great strategies.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
It's just the kind of game you jump into and play, you'll learn everything as you go. The game has an in-game tutorial which will teach you the basic controls. Once you learn, just jump in and play. You'll learn strategies as you go. Play what you enjoy, don't force yourself to play something you really don't want to. It's in your best interest to get comfortable with every class, but do it at your own pace. It's a very casual game, no need to take it seriously.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
peel15 said:

Pick the one that feels right, and stick with it.

I am a dedicated Heavy, and I am still working out the kinks in my ambush plans. Just whatever suits you, and then evolve your playing style around that class.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
peel15 said:

Start with Soldier and Demo. Those are the easiest.

When you get the hang of those, just move on to different classes and experiment.

You're gonna get your ass kicked. A lot. But it's definitely rewarding.

peel15

Nov 3, 2008
Thanks for the help everybody just got back from work and I'll take everybodies advice and just keep playing instead of looking for a coach.
I'm just really used to games like CoD where your team just bags on you if your not good so I was worried about doing poorly in games.